Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 04:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I do have to say, even as a person who is most often socially liberal, that I find the actions of this young soldier highly questionable - and therefore the actions taken to free him as well. More info needs to come to light, but I am currently inclined to believe the evidence - including that of his colleagues - that indicates he deserted. That he trashed the USA and walked out on his duty and now accepts the saving actions of that same nation should not be lost on him and his family as ironic. Worse is the fact that others were harmed and lots of resources were diverted to go to great lengths to search for him. Worse still is that while the USA has retrieved one person false to the American cause, we've given up give people who were very seriously true to their causes - and will be again.
I agree with the idea that the country is responsible for bringing all soldiers home deserters or not. I'm not sold yet that we did this in the best interest of the country or legally.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:56 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
When the military declares him a deserter he will be so classified as one. Up to now the military hasn't.
Correct, when the military declares him a deserter that will be meaningful, I have to laugh at some of the responses that feel this is a plot or scandal. He was missing for 5 years and they never accused him of being a deserter, let this take it's course. The only opinion that matters is the military command.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well said....some people in here cannot see, or refuse to see a much larger picture, even me sometimes, but what you said is so true....

I believe though, a lot of people are so very tired of being lied to, by the media and by countless administrations....Obama's and many before his....
Yes, it continues to get worse and worse because 45% of the voting population will defend nearly any action the person they voted for does and then condemn those same actions when their guy loses.

Bush argues he can skip due process and throw you in jail indefinitely. We didn't rise up as a country to say "NO" so Obama takes it a step further and argues he can kill American citizens without due process.

The two parties know they only have to convince a small portion they aren't the unethical liars the other side correctly paints them to be.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I agree with the idea that the country is responsible for bringing all soldiers home deserters or not. I'm not sold yet that we did this in the best interest of the country or legally.
I agree with you both, and remember when this happened, my son had told me about it, and everyone over there was so dumb founded by it. Your NEVER supposed to leave base alone, ever. What was going thru his head, I guess we'll never know, however, what really upsets me is the fact that they would have never told us about this, is so many people hadn't known what happened.

I won't judge him, he and God will do that...but there were several other soldiers that lost their lives looking for him, and they not only upgraded his rank, but tried to make a hero out of him?????? And as I said, the Media always backing Obama, they were not going to tell us about this, until it was obvious, that way to many people knew about it and spoke up, thank God for that. And I'm not just bashing the Obama Administration, although they will back any Democrate that is in there, but, thank God for technology today, and the opportunity to speak up and prove they are wrong....b/c years ago, you couldn't. But every administration has done this....it's not just the Democrates....this has got to stop....

When people wake up and start screaming "Wrong Doings" things will change. And I'm tired of those fat sloppy men in Congress, sending our boys to war.

And the administrations, both Bush and Obama and how much of our tax dollars they've wasted over their, if only the public knew....it is pathetic.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Anyone who still supports the Obama Administration after this fiasco is an idiot plain and simple.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I wish people would keep politics out of this and stop treating it like a spectator sport, always having to defend "your team." If as a nation, looking at a situation like this we can't refrain from politicizing the heck out of it, then we are truly doomed.
Politics cannot be taken out of the equation because everything this administration does is based on political calculations, not the best interests of the U.S. military or U.S. veterans.

So if and when the Democrats ever stop politicizing EVERYTHING on earth, then I might do the same.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
We bring our people home first and foremost. What comes out after that is subject to investigation.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:32 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
There are hints that he envisioned his job in Afghanistan as rebuilding the nation and helping the people to a better life. He soon found out that it wasn't the case, nor was it his mission. After a period, he was highly disillusioned. Why he walked off his post, only he knows.
Actually, he left a note behind saying why he did it:
Quote:
"Bergdahl left behind a note in his tent saying he had become disillusioned with the Army, did not support the American mission in Afghanistan and was leaving to start a new life."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/us...unit.html?_r=0

Obama unilaterally just traded 5 mass-murdering terrorists for an intentional deserter.

Outrage grows for released detainees swapped for Bergdahl - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Just when you think Obama can't be any more inept or worse for America, he and his clearly incompetent staff pull a stunt like this.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:35 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree with you both, and remember when this happened, my son had told me about it, and everyone over there was so dumb founded by it. Your NEVER supposed to leave base alone, ever. What was going thru his head, I guess we'll never know, however, what really upsets me is the fact that they would have never told us about this, is so many people hadn't known what happened.

I won't judge him, he and God will do that...but there were several other soldiers that lost their lives looking for him, and they not only upgraded his rank, but tried to make a hero out of him?????? And as I said, the Media always backing Obama, they were not going to tell us about this, until it was obvious, that way to many people knew about it and spoke up, thank God for that. And I'm not just bashing the Obama Administration, although they will back any Democrate that is in there, but, thank God for technology today, and the opportunity to speak up and prove they are wrong....b/c years ago, you couldn't. But every administration has done this....it's not just the Democrates....this has got to stop....

When people wake up and start screaming "Wrong Doings" things will change. And I'm tired of those fat sloppy men in Congress, sending our boys to war.

And the administrations, both Bush and Obama and how much of our tax dollars they've wasted over their, if only the public knew....it is pathetic.
The upgrade in his rank was done automatically...a none issue, and that can be stripped away easy enough with a court marshal. Even the president said, "We can deal with that when he's back on U.S. soil."

Who is the "they" that are trying to make a hero out of Sgt Bergdahl? I sincerely want to know. I keep reading that in this thread but I have not seen or heard anyone---the one single person---in the media say that or report on anyone else who has claimed he is a hero. Who exactly are the "they's"?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The upgrade in his rank was done automatically...a none issue, and that can be stripped away easy enough with a court marshal. Even the president said, "We can deal with that when he's back on U.S. soil."

Who is the "they" that are trying to make a hero out of Sgt Bergdahl? I sincerely want to know. I keep reading that in this thread but I have not seen or heard anyone---the one single person---in the media say that or report on anyone else who has claimed he is a hero. Who exactly are the "they's"?
Susan Rice did on the Sunday morning shows. The link is in this thread. One would have thought that the administration would have learned from the mess she made of Benghazi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies