Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times

Advertisements

Feinstein (D) head of the committee who this has to be reported to just said Obama and the administration "clearly broke the Law". Its just get deeper daily. Now they report investigation showed he walk off his post for undetermined reason and that in search for him 4-6 soldiers were killed.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:46 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,629,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
BS. This didnt just pop up. They've been in discussions for longer than a month. And how did they know his condition? They didnt meat with him. After 5 years, it just so happens at a time Obama needs another distraction the most, this guy suddenly has serious medical conditions that couldnt wait another few weeks? Are you really that ignorant and sheeplike to continue to believe every damn thing this Admin tells you? Apparently.

He DID break the law. He did knowingly release 5 terrorists for a man he knew was a deserter. There is zero chance the WH didnt know the truth about this guy. Yet they played politics, yet again. Hoping America would cheer for the release of a man who was never even classified as a POW. More lies from Susan Rice and the WH. Yet luckily for them, they atleast have dimwits that will defend them no matter what.

WH to Senate Intel chair: Hey, sorry for the oversight on following the law, or something « Hot Air
What Obama did as far as the release of Bergdahl was legal and in accord with the agreement he signed with congress.

you are confusing the Taliban with Al Qaeda. Most likely on purpose to convince the ignorant. the Taliban are indigenous tribes people of Afghanistan. they are not terrorists. they have not declared war on America. They will stop killing us as soon as we leave their country.
Al Qaeda are terrorists. they sing 'Death to America".
those Mujaheddin were just Taliban officials in Afghanistan when we invaded. their only crime was to be a Taliban official in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Here's your proof, Scooter!

A new State Department report designating terrorist organizations notably excludes one group: the Taliban. The U.S. has been fighting a war in Afghanistan for almost a decade aimed at “defeating the Taliban,” Taliban members repeatedly have threatened and killed American citizens and lawmakers have increased pressure on State to add the Taliban to the list.

Read more: State Department: Taliban is not a terrorist organization | The Daily Caller

But acknowledging that those Mujs were just Taliban officials and not terrorists pulls the rug out of the whole "right wing hang Obama" agenda, doesn't it

Acknowledging that what Obama did was right and legal destroys your whole argument, and in the end, you have nothing but a mindless empty rant with no facts, just an agenda of hate.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:46 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,329,732 times
Like it or not, he is commander and chief.

I say he makes the call.

Whether or not I agree with it, I don't know the full story and never will, so a informed decision I can't make.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,368,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
He wasn't a POW. He was a deserter. He left a desertion note.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/us...unit.html?_r=0
I'm not up to speed as to what counts as desertion or not in the military. There is a story in the armytimes that says he left his post before and came back. It's possible that he was some deluded progressive who was out on an unauthorized stroll and captured but never intended to desert. How could he have been promoted twice while in captivity if under suspicion for desertion?

Source: Bergdahl may have walked off base more than once | Army Times | armytimes.com

Quote:
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl intentionally sneaked away from his forward operating base in Afghanistan just before he disappeared in 2009, and that may not have been the first time he left the post without permission, according to officials familiar with the military’s internal investigation.

“We have no indication that he intended to leave permanently,” one government official familiar with the probe told Military Times. Several soldiers in Bergdahl’s unit told investigators that Bergdahl had previously talked about a desire to leave the base unaccompanied and may have done so and returned unharmed at least once before the night he disappeared, the official said.

An internal military investigation concluded in 2010 that there was little doubt Bergdahl walked away from his unit before he was captured. That investigation, known as an AR-15-6, remains classified and has not been released publicly, but several officials familiar with it have disclosed its results under condition of anonymity.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,368,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I say he makes the call.

Whether or not I agree with it, I don't know the full story and never will, so a informed decision I can't make.
That's my stance on this issue. Although admittedly this isn't looking good for Obama. The legal issues about notification are serious, he could be impeached if that is found to be the case.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:07 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,821,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Cool story. I especially like the part where you keep editing posts after they've been responded to.

Your opinion of who the Taliban is or isn''t as a government with territorial claims doesn't change his status as a POW. Are you saying we can't have a proper war unless we are fighting an army with uniforms?

As for negotiating with terrorists, would you be equally angry if Obama had waited until the mid-term elected and then traded the POW for a bunch of illegal weapons? there's precedent for that after all.

As for "our man in Mexico," I stated that we don't have all of the facts and it's clear because the facts as presented by him don't make any sense whatsoever. You have access to the same internet as me so feel free to research the story to date on something that isn't some terrible blog.

Why are you so bent out of shape about the trading of prisoners of war, that we've been holding rather illegally, for an American soldier, but taking up the cause of a veteran who intentionally or not blatantly broke the laws of another country?
Since you seem to wander all over the place, I am going to answer a couple of questions here that seem to have many others confused!

Your answers tell me that you (and others) have never served military duty.

An enemy combatant is classified in two ways .. according to the Geneva Convention.

Unlawful Enemy Combatant: An unlawful enemy combatant is one that authorities believe is connected with a terrorist group, whether through funding or direct orders or association, among other connectors.
(non uniformed would also apply here)

Lawful Enemy Combatant: Is someone who is commanded by a person or a person responsible for subordinates, carries arms openly, and conducts their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war, among other criteria, according to The Third Geneva Convention.
(In other words .. A Uniformed, armed combatant)

They would then have to be treated in accordance with Prisoner of War guidelines in the Geneva Convention of 1949.

Lawful enemy combatants can receive Prisoner of War status in accordance with The Geneva Conventions. Unlawful enemy combatants cannot because terrorist organizations like Al Qaeda,Taliban etc. etc. are non-state actor terrorist groups, according to The Council on Foreign Relations.

Can you now guess why I say this whole swap for a POW garbage is just that .. garbage?
Everything points to this guy as being a deserter and joining the terrorists!

Now that we've cleared up your (and others) confusion I wont bother going into your cr@p about our 'Decorated" soldier held in a Mexican CR@P hole other than to say .. You think that the release of 36,000 Criminal Illegal Aliens by Obama into our streets is enough to pay for the release of our 'other' POW?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:07 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What Obama did as far as the release of Bergdahl was legal and in accord with the agreement he signed with congress.

you are confusing the Taliban with Al Qaeda. Most likely on purpose to convince the ignorant. the Taliban are indigenous tribes people of Afghanistan. they are not terrorists. they have not declared war on America. They will stop killing us as soon as we leave their country.
those Mujaheddin were just Taliban officials in Afghanistan when we invaded. their only crime was to be a Taliban official in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A new State Department report designating terrorist organizations notably excludes one group: the Taliban. The U.S. has been fighting a war in Afghanistan for almost a decade aimed at “defeating the Taliban,” Taliban members repeatedly have threatened and killed American citizens and lawmakers have increased pressure on State to add the Taliban to the list.

Read more: State Department: Taliban is not a terrorist organization | The Daily Caller

But acknowledging that those Mujs were just Taliban officials and not terrorists pulls the rug out of the whole "right wing hang Obama" agenda, doesn't it

Acknowledging that what Obama did was right and legal destroys your whole argument, and in the end, you have nothing but a mindless empty rant with no facts, just an agenda of hate.
There were in fact three laws on this as reporting requirement. Feinstein said she was called and they apologized for not informing her. It requires 30 day notice to congress and she is head democrat of committee it has to be reported to. The republican minority lead was also called and apologized to. But they say both and committee reject these guys as being traded two years ago when notified of them wanting these specific terrorist; its not something new.The administration has even acknowledge now about the laws but says it was emergency for health reasons. But then German hospital said he was in good shape. So we wait and see. Since you also have members of his company reporting what they knew which strangely none is contained in report o the initial investigation when he went missing turned over to the committee.They; afterall were serving with him and on duty when he abandoned his post as was concluded in report for unknown reason. No fire fight obviously. To say the Talban is not a terrorist organization just means I and US government does not agree with you as well as most the free world. Who do you think Obama is fighting in Afganistan now but the Taliban.;who ran the country before invasion.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:14 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,729,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

One pesky detail you left out.............Congress drew up a contract and Obama signed it stating no detainees at GITMO could be transferred w/o congress being notified beforehand.

Please try to keep up.
This was reported in most newspapers across America.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:16 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,019,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I say he makes the call.

Sure. And moral must have hit a new low after this. He may be CoC, but he still isnt king. There are checks and balances. He just does what he wants, when he wants.

And it makes zero sense to release a man who even the Army felt was a deserter. I have yet to see one person, besides his family and the WH liars stand up for this guy. Everyone who has served with him that has spoken out has come out saying he deserted. Even the possibility that he sought out the Taliban. So why the hell would you do anything, let alone release 5 terrorists for him?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:16 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,729,671 times
Why are some posters saying that law did not apply when even Obama and Chuck Hagel aren't using that excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies