Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Nope.

I'll give you a real quick history lesson about my ancestors.

The Dutch simply wanted to expand their wealth. First settlers to establish shop in what we now call "New York." That was their forte. Look it up.
The U.S.A. hadn't been invented yet.

The Scots Irish came over for the same reasons, except those folks were more interested in farming. Again, the U.S.A. didn't exist. While incredibly guilty of whacking some local natives...........they were just there to "Grow Their Own."
I repeat; you're here because your ancestors couldn't hack it in Europe.

Unavailability of affordable land, poverty, little access to wealth and education, wars gripping the continent every 20 years, disease, etc, etc..

Don't whitewash history. If they had it so good over there, you wouldn't be here.

No different than the Mexicans or any other group.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
When did this country go from "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" to "Either come here with something to offer or GTFO"?

That was well before we became a nanny welfare state

Old 06-01-2014, 07:22 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Unavailability of affordable land, poverty, little access to wealth and education, wars gripping the continent every 20 years, disease, etc, etc..

Don't whitewash history. If they had it so good over there, you wouldn't be here.

Land is cheap in Mexico and they beat the French on Cinco de Mayo.....the last time they got their arses handed to them in a real battle was the Mexican-American War.

It's a lot different.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
The American west is still mostly barren.

And why DON'T we need more citizens? Why should our population be capped?

The Founders never espoused a cap on immigration or population that I know of.
How many Mexicans are in Montana?

Old 06-01-2014, 08:07 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
When did this country go from "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" to "Either come here with something to offer or GTFO"?
The 1880s. It's currently 2014 ... and we don't need hordes of illiterate workers to work factories and fields. We don't have enough jobs for Americans as it is, our youth and seniors cannot find part time employment.

Personally I think it's time to drastically reduce the amount of legal immigration to less than 10,000 and end the "family reunification" garbage.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How is that possible when we spend 7.3% of our GDP on education? Tax revenue doesn't even come close to equaling our GDP.
U.S. Education Spending Tops Other Countries

Your numbers are WAY off.
We actually spend more on education than any other OECD country. I have no idea why you think that's "so little."
We can throw all the money in the world into our inner city schools but it achieve a damn thing until THEY (the students) want to learn.

You can lead a horse to water, but can't make him/her drink the water.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:

, and if we wish to say "He who is 1st owns the joint", the Indians should kick us out.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:45 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
When we started fearing nthe future, and when those coming were not mostly White Europeans, we disgraced our founding fathers and wanted to insure any more people would not be afforded the opportunities our own ancestors were.
What a crock. The floodgate was opened for mostly non-white immigrants in 1965. Even today we still allow in 1 million per year and most of them aren't white-Europeans. As for opportunities they are dwindling for our own citizens today. Illegal immigration is unacceptable no matter who they are.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
No.

Because they can make $8 per hour here instead of $6 per day.

They're from a dirtbag country with dirtbag policies with dirty water.
And that's just fine just as long they come here legally. There are a lot more potential immigrants in worse dire straits than Mexicans and yet they continue to be favored in our legal immigration numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies