Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I get more than a little ticked off when people expect "fairness" from businesses. They are a self-serving crime syndicate. Why expect anything but worst-case-scenarios from them? This is why we have the government mandating wages.

There. Fixed that for ya!
Businesses should run their own models. Work for a penny, no gays allowed, no food inspections...fine.

Customers can walk in and ask the owners how they roll on various issues that are important to them and then decide if they want to spend their money there.

I don't want nor need the government to regulate the behavior of myself or private businesses.

Businesses that want to pay a penny per hour or ban Asians from their store will either adapt or die.

It's up to us...not big brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So you come up with a most brilliant idea of making those employees cost even more. I mean if they're being replaced by automation why not pay the people left higher wages?

Really? That makes sense to you?
So you think minimum wage workers should be paid less? Automation happens regardless of what the pay rate is.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am actually happy they raised minimum wage... We can speculate about everything... Now we have something to actually examine... I don't want to hear excuses and any backtracking will be an admission of failure... Curious to see what happens to liberal plans....
So what happens when all the right wing doom and gloom doesn't happen? Will right wing media talk about how they were wrong? Doubt it.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:43 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So you come up with a most brilliant idea of making those employees cost even more. I mean if they're being replaced by automation why not pay the people left higher wages?

Really? That makes sense to you?
They are going to be replaced no matter what. Seriously. So the fact that the remaining make more money doesnt bother me much....

Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
fast food productivity is massively higher. Seriously. Food also a LOT worse, but maybe thats just my opinion.
Because of technology, not people.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what happens when all the right wing doom and gloom doesn't happen? Will right wing media talk about how they were wrong? Doubt it.
Good point, but at least the evidence will now be available for everyone to see...

Old 06-02-2014, 07:48 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Quote:

As long as the left doesn't start wailing when the dead weight employees are cut because employers refuse to pay extra for people who aren't worth it.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 PM

260 posts, read 195,214 times
Quote:
And businesses are opening everyday now, Seattle won't be seeing rampant unemployment because of this.
No but Seattle will be seeing many more undocumented immigrants popping up looking for work than before.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because of technology, not people.
Thats true for everything. Seriously, your argument is that people should not share equally when technology improves things, and that only the rich should?

IE
I make widgets, I make 10 million a year doing nothing. My employees make 52K year each, and I have 10 of them.

Suddenly a new technology comes out, I move those 10 to maintaining the machine, and make 100 million a year. Your argument is that I should still pay them 52K/year right?

And then when they whine that inflation has gone up, and ask me to pay them 54K this year....I should say "No, while we're making more money thats because of technology not you, so NO you don't get a raise to cope with inflation"

I see pitchforks in the future....

Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Thats true for everything. Seriously, your argument is that people should not share equally when technology improves things, and that only the rich should?

IE
I make widgets, I make 10 million a year doing nothing. My employees make 52K year each, and I have 10 of them.

Suddenly a new technology comes out, I move those 10 to maintaining the machine, and make 100 million a year. Your argument is that I should still pay them 52K/year right?

And then when they whine that inflation has gone up, and ask me to pay them 54K this year....I should say "No, while we're making more money thats because of technology not you, so NO you don't get a raise to cope with inflation"

I see pitchforks in the future....
That franchise owner is not "rich".
That is who gets hit with increase wages.

You're making up numbers.

Go read up on SeaTac and labor costs due to the increase. It's more than $15 as that is not total labor cost.

You see the self checkouts...you have 6-8 self checkouts and ONE person watching over them.
In your case you're going to keep the 8 and have 8 watching over them ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies