Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:39 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,058,469 times

Advertisements

For centuries, African Americans faced adversity and discrimination from slavery, de-facto economic segregation, legal segregation, denied services, forced to sit in back of the bus

A 14-year old kid named Emmett Till was murdered (kidnapped and tortured) for simply whistling at a white woman who was cashier at a grocery store in 1950s Mississippi and the murderers despite compelling evidence? Were acquitted)

Then Rosa Parks

Little rock 9

The Albany Georgia desegregation

The Alabama state trooper who shot Lee Jackson a peaceful protester in Selma, Alabama

The March on Washington

Assassination of MLK

The Mississippi burning during Freedom Summer...the klan coordinated murder with state police

You had systematic corrupt absence of justice...and a system where before civil rights act of 1965, black people couldn't even vote without this manipulative poll tax and literacy test abuse

And now in the 2000s, an African American president who wants to improve heaithcare for all people...can't you try to like the president more?

Last edited by EricS39; 06-02-2014 at 09:49 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 PM

140 posts, read 126,720 times
Try Harder?

Do you have any proof that anyone is not trying as hard as you? How hard are you trying?

Are you trying as hard as your President?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,700,141 times
Obama being African American has absolutely nothing to do with my dislike for his presidency. The last president we had who was as inept and clueless as Obama is was Carter. He was white, and I didn't like him as president either. Obama as a person could be a perfectly pleasant individual, and someone that I would enjoy hanging out with. Obama as president, however, is proof that the voting public is truly uninformed.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 PM

24,835 posts, read 37,320,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
For centuries, African Americans faced adversity and discrimination from slavery, de-facto economic segregation, legal segregation, denied services, forced to sit in back of the bus

A 14-year old kid named Emmett Till was murdered (kidnapped and tortured) for simply whistling at a white woman who was cashier at a grocery store in 1950s Mississippi and the murderers despite compelling evidence? Were acquitted)

Then Rosa Parks

Little rock 9

The Albany Georgia desegregation

The Alabama state trooper who shot Lee Jackson a peaceful protester in Selma, Alabama

The March on Washington

Assassination of MLK

The Mississippi burning during Freedom Summer...the klan coordinated murder with state police

You had systematic corrupt absence of justice...and a system where before civil rights act of 1965, black people couldn't even vote without this manipulative poll tax and literacy test abuse

And now in the 2000s, an African American president who wants to improve heaithcare for all people...can't you try to like the president more?
Why should I care???

Bad things happen......to ALL races.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,440,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why should I care???

Bad things happen......to ALL races.
Not that it has anything to do with opinions of the president, but just as a general aside... you should care. Bad things do happen to many people, but in this case, bad things were systematically inflicted upon blacks by whites. It was a wrong and shameful chapter of this nation's history, and everyone should abhor it.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,806,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Obama being African American has absolutely nothing to do with my dislike for his presidency. The last president we had who was as inept and clueless as Obama is was Carter. He was white, and I didn't like him as president either. Obama as a person could be a perfectly pleasant individual, and someone that I would enjoy hanging out with. Obama as president, however, is proof that the voting public is truly uninformed.
absolutely right. i have no idea if i like obama or not because I HAVE NEVER MET HIM. thus i cannot tell if i like him or not. on the other hand, i dont like his policies and agenda.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:24 AM

39,838 posts, read 26,467,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Not that it has anything to do with opinions of the president, but just as a general aside... you should care. Bad things do happen to many people, but in this case, bad things were systematically inflicted upon blacks by whites. It was a wrong and shameful chapter of this nation's history, and everyone should abhor it.
And now bad things are inflicted on blacks by blacks. Is that any less abhorrent?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:47 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,683,113 times
Why should a politician's race make any difference as to how much I do or don't approve of them in their job?

Isn't this the sort of backwards thinking that we are trying to get away from?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Obama isn't really doing anything for blacks anyhow. The unemployment gap is growing, and no one takes their votes for granted more than Obama and the democrats.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:18 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
History...as in “in the past“. History is not a political tool. Too bad it's being abused as one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.