Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Only a paranoid person would even touch their gun....

If you ever pay attention to people walking around....even in wallie world....you can tell who is CC...and a newb...cause they are always being sure their CC is still there...
I sometimes carry a keltec .32 pistol in my front pocket. When I see these idiots open carrying up here in WA, my hand goes into my pocket, as most of these people look like uneducated white trash. I have yet to see a guy wearing a collard shirt and dockers doing this.

I must be paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 04:11 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Tell me how i am supposed to tell the difference.
There are no set standards to write out in a post here that will tell you if a guy carrying is a threat or not...

Common sense goes a long way in these situations because every one of them are different.

It's called situational awareness, being aware and alert of your surroundings.

In some cases, even if the guy carrying is a threat, it still wouldn't be appropriate to pull your gun as doing so could put you and others in even greater danger than not doing so.

If you are such a hothead and so reactionary that merely seeing a guy carrying a gun will cause you to draw your weapon, then carrying a weapon probably isn't for you.

Not to mention that thugs who want to rob or kill someone generally don't walk around calmly in groups with their wives and kids, which Is what these open carry demonstrators normally do.

Hopefully that answer is sufficient.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
As a CC person at what time do you reach for your weapon when you see guys walking and carrying long guns in to the restaurant that you are in?Would you even put your hand on your gun? Doesn't have to be on your shoulder on a sling. Just like the guy at the restaurant we saw walking in.
Threat assessment. Someone with a slung long arm would have my attention, if he were alone and walking into a restaurant or store. In this case, bunch of people together demonstrating my threat meter wouldn't move. A lone individual , carrying the weapon in his hands is going to get toned. I would go defensive and lock on. However, I never touch my weapon unless I'm going to draw it, and my #1 rule is, if I have to draw, I will be shooting.

If my weapon comes out things have gone SERIOUSLY pear shaped. A lethal threat exists, and will be put down. No her all warning, no warning shots, no brandishing . Just BANG. were I to get caught around a demonstration like this, I would not stick around. I don't like this kind of nonsense. I carry concealed. I never advertise that I am armed. Lots of people open carry here. It doesn't bother me. But a handgun in a holster and a carbine in the hands are different critters.

I guess these clowns made their point, such as it is. Not my style, and I do see it as counterproductive. The image they presented could and was widely misinterpreted by a lot of people. It was confrontational, and that does not go well with weapons. A newbie CCW could easily get panicked. There are a lot of carriers who don't have much training and less experience out there. IDK, I just don't like to see boundaries pushed.This was way pushing them.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:04 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Threat assessment. Someone with a slung long arm would have my attention, if he were alone and walking into a restaurant or store. In this case, bunch of people together demonstrating my threat meter wouldn't move. A lone individual , carrying the weapon in his hands is going to get toned. I would go defensive and lock on. However, I never touch my weapon unless I'm going to draw it, and my #1 rule is, if I have to draw, I will be shooting.

If my weapon comes out things have gone SERIOUSLY pear shaped. A lethal threat exists, and will be put down. No her all warning, no warning shots, no brandishing . Just BANG. were I to get caught around a demonstration like this, I would not stick around. I don't like this kind of nonsense. I carry concealed. I never advertise that I am armed. Lots of people open carry here. It doesn't bother me. But a handgun in a holster and a carbine in the hands are different critters.

I guess these clowns made their point, such as it is. Not my style, and I do see it as counterproductive. The image they presented could and was widely misinterpreted by a lot of people. It was confrontational, and that does not go well with weapons. A newbie CCW could easily get panicked. There are a lot of carriers who don't have much training and less experience out there. IDK, I just don't like to see boundaries pushed.This was way pushing them.
A lot of people who carry have this philosophy.... They say, "you don't draw your weapon unless you are going to fire it"

I've never understood why so many subscribe to that ideology, especially since one of the #1 arguments we pro-gun people use it that hundreds of times a year a gun is successfully used in self defense where a shot is never fired.

I agree that if you are going to draw your weapon, you should definitely be prepared to fire it, but I think it's possible to be in a situation where you can draw it and brandishing it will be enough to stop the threat.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
A lot of people who carry have this philosophy.... They say, "you don't draw your weapon unless you are going to fire it"

I've never understood why so many subscribe to that ideology, especially since one of the #1 arguments we pro-gun people use it that hundreds of times a year a gun is successfully used in self defense where a shot is never fired.

I agree that if you are going to draw your weapon, you should definitely be prepared to fire it, but I think it's possible to be in a situation where you can draw it and brandishing it will be enough to stop the threat.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. But I won't draw my gun unless the situation is plumb terminal. I always have other means of less than lethal defense on me. The firearm won't come out unless lethal force is the only answer. I see your point. Understand your take. But, like I said, my gun is never my only option. Just my last one. I'm disabled now, and not as ...efficient...as I used to be, so I carry a few nasty surprises besides my gun. Any of which would be preferable to brandishing, which I won't do. If the gun has to come out, that means I'm out of options.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
IRRC Old Wayne stated that Hillary had signed the international arms treaty. THERE NEVER WAS ANY TREATY.
Wayne the got 19 Senators to say they would oppose any arms treaty. Wayne then claimed success.

There have only been meetings between countries on this. No treaty to even sign.
I've looked and looked for this statement and haven't been able to find it. Could you help me out here?

I found this but it doesn't seem to be saying what you are claiming.

In 2009, at the behest of the Obama administration, the United States joined 152 other countries in endorsing a U.N. Arms Trade Treaty Resolution. The resolution establishes an international conference to be held next year, at which leaders from countries around the world—many of which have deplorable human rights records—will draw up an international treaty designed to severely restrict or even outright ban your right to sell, purchase, carry or own a firearm.

In reversing President George W. Bush’s opposition to U.N. mandated global gun control, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton declared, “The United States is committed to actively pursuing a strong and robust treaty that contains the highest possible, legally binding standard. …”

America's 1st Freedom

Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I understand the NRA's political posture (and they are a political animal), which is probably wise political strategy, but these open carry people are fully within their rights. They're doing nothing wrong. We have to decide if we are going to defend the Constitution, even when it's awkward, or bow to political correctness and erosion of our rights.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
most of these people look like uneducated white trash.

I must be paranoid.
A bit judgmental perhaps.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:23 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Love it ... "Wow. Everyone's scared of gun nuts -- even other gun nuts,"....

Jon Stewart Blasts NRA, Open Carry Texas 'Gun Nuts' (VIDEO)

Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
The whole idea of adults brandishing their guns and other assault weapons in public, frankly, strikes me as juvenile. That these "adults" would walk into family restaurants and establishments brandishing their weapons and scaring families and children for no other purpose than to show that they can is an infant mentality.

I also think there is a bit of Freud in this decision by these "men" to brandish their assault rifles in public. I think there are other deeper psychological issues that these people have to show their guns are "bigger" and "badder" that anyone else's. Only a matter of time before one of these "men", prematurely shoots his gun off in a battle of gun cojones killing many innocents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies