Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It doesn't matter. You cannot allow discrimination in places of public accommodation. That was settled decades ago.
So I guess it's the reeducation camps for a business that doesn't want someone carrying a gun in a carry state from bringing it in his store?

Quote:
Why should people looking for a service have to do extra research just to appease someone else's bigotry? There seems to be a push among some people to relegitimize discrimination under the guise of "religious freedom." To hell with that. You want to be able to legally discriminate for religious reasons? Move to Iran.
I don't care what someone's religious beliefs are. The government shouldn't be forcing people to believe a certain way.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:10 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
OP, it's called tolerance.
No, this is far past the point of tolerance. Gays do not want to be tolerated. Gays want full acceptance of their lifestyle as equal in all ways in the hearts and minds of everyone, and beyond that they will want endorsement and celebration.

The baker did not say the two men could not have a wedding cake, he simply said he was not willing to be the one to provide it. He never tried to stop them from getting "a" cake.

What damages did the men suffer by not having a cake from someone who did not wish to provide it? Where are the damages?

And I'm still hearing only crickets on my question about the value of sensitivity training.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
If I were the baker, I would substitute salt for the sugar used to make the cakes.

The baker was ordered to bake gay wedding cakes. That doesn't mean he has to make them taste good.
Salt. Poison. Urine and fecal matter.

What the hell is wrong with you people? You must be good, decent Christians.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I agree with you completely. But, this is the New Amerika, where we are no longer free to exercise our own religion, but we must embrace all others.
What aspect of his form of worship involves not doing business with gay people? Specifically. What is it this guy's being prevented from doing?

The freedom to exercise one's religion has to do with exercising one's religion. It does not mean one gets to use one's religious beliefs as an excuse to disobey the law. It's strange that anyone would think it does.

And it sure doesn't mean one gets to poison a ****ing cake just to show them queers what's what. What good Christians you all are.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:22 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Again, baker states that he no longer bakes wedding cakes. He's gone into the Twinkie business. Problem solved... except for here on this forum.

Generally, if somebody doesn't want to sell me something because of me personally, I simply give them the finger as I walk out the door and go buy from someone else. Again, problem solved.

And what is this going on and on about Christians thing? For crying out loud, stuff Christians, would you?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:23 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Anyone who offends my beliefs does not get my service. Period.
That you know of, anyway. I bet there are lots of people like you who do business with gay people without even knowing it. Just think: the next time you buy something, you might be buying it from a gay person. A married gay person. Or a woman who once had *gasp* an abortion. I imagine I offend a whole host of your beliefs, but for all you know you use the equipment I manufacture. Are you military? Involved in oil or any sort of industry that involves getting data over the air? Or maybe you're the guy I just sold a comic book to for $150. If so, thanks sucker! Exclamation point!

Maybe you should check from now on, to make sure your not dealing with, you know, those sorts of people.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What the hell is wrong with you people? You must be good, decent Christians.
You could also be asked what is wrong with you people? Seeking to destroy the livelihood of people and ruin the business they've worked hard to build because they disagree with your lifestyle choice? Where's your tolerance? And all over a cake? How emotionally weak one must be to get their panties in a knot over such a small matter. Go somewhere else - there are plenty of bakeries in town.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You could also be asked what is wrong with you people? Seeking to destroy the livelihood of people and ruin the business they've worked hard to build because they disagree with your lifestyle choice? Where's your tolerance? And all over a cake? How emotionally weak one must be to get their panties in a knot over such a small matter. Go somewhere else - there are plenty of bakeries in town.
If you don't want to comply with the law, citing your religious beliefs in order to diiscriminate against customers, don't start a bakery. Work in a factory putting together gimcracks and tchotchkes. There are plenty of other jobs in town.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM

109 posts, read 91,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

^^^^^^
This.

Amen!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:39 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Some of the blame here has to be put on the baker himself--perhaps he's not the brightest crayon in the box.

If he didn't want to make the cake for WHATEVER reason, it would have been very easy for him to come up with a hundred reasons that would not have resulted in this situation. When did you need the cake? Oh... sorry, we're swamped. Never get it done in time. Which cake were you looking to buy? Oh, sorry, we are out of a key ingredient for that flavor until the delivery backlog is caught up. Blah, blah, blah. It's easy to BS your way out of this sort of thing.

I used to private tutor mathematics. If there was someone I didn't want to work with for whatever reason, there were literally 1000 excuses I could have used and nobody would have been offended--no questions asked.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-03-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies