Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Some people seem to be under the impression that the problems disappear if it is legalized.
No. Just problems like shootouts with smugglers, gang turf wars, prisons crowded with people on petty beefs for possession, riding up LE to kick in doors cuz someone's growing a few plants....you know. Little stuff.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:39 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,000 times
Quote:
Some people seem to be under the impression that the problems disappear if it is legalized.
Problems like this would disappear:

Texas deputy dies performing no-knock, no-announce SWAT raid for marijuana | Police State USA

The police tried to charge the homeowner with capital murder for fatally shooting the deputy who broke into his home. A grand jury rightly disagreed and dismissed the murder charge.

Last edited by jburress; 06-05-2014 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I saw a television show on people addicted to it and harder drugs moving to Colorado to work in the marijuana industry. All I can say is they are welcome to them. It shouldn't take long for it to look like Seattle with young potheads everywhere.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:

The idea of not criminalizing someone for consuming it, and wasting taxpayer's money on a failed war on a plant brought to us by special interests spewing a bunch of BS propaganda, because they feared loss of profits is good enough for me. Will there be problems? I suppose, because nothing is really 100% harmless. However; plenty of people smoke regularly with no serious issues. A lot of it depends on the individual, as well as the strain, and how it's consumed. At any rate, legalization, and NOT decriminalization will significantly reduce the black market around cannabis, because it will be legal to cultivate, and distribute obviously with provisions that I imagine would be similar to tobacco and alcohol. With only decriminalizing it and the fact that while it is only legal in certain states on the state level, and not on a federal level, you've still got the black market in play.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I saw a television show on people addicted to it and harder drugs moving to Colorado to work in the marijuana industry. All I can say is they are welcome to them. It shouldn't take long for it to look like Seattle with young potheads everywhere.

"Potheads" young and old have always been around. Of all of the illegal substances cannabis is already the most widely used, most popular, and to quite a degree socially acceptable despite its current status under federal law. While at social functions it is still out in the open, you'll always find a segment of the group that will sneak off to fire up a doobie. I suppose that being that it's illegal, even though others in the party who don't partake are cool with it is still why people don't do it out in the open. I guess when legalized that would probably change, because there would be no reason to hide it.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
I think there's been enough experience with wide-spread dope smoking over the last 50 years that most people have a reasonably accurate picture of the problems associated with it. This includes various states' experiments with both formal and informal (we won't enforce) decriminalization. The public judgment increasingly seems to be that the problems associated with criminalization are less acceptable than those associated with legalization.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:00 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The reporter was an idiot. She says that she was not a regular marijuana smoker yet she decided to drink chardonnay on top of eating a marijuana infused candy bar. Then she was shocked at how intoxicated she became. Moron.
Did the candy wrapper inform her of any risks? No. The morons here, would be the legislators who rushed to gave the green light for a drug that could do this to a person.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:03 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No. Just problems like shootouts with smugglers, gang turf wars, prisons crowded with people on petty beefs for possession, riding up LE to kick in doors cuz someone's growing a few plants....you know. Little stuff.
Why didn't crime stop in places where it has already been decriminalized/legalized? Crime skyrocketed in Holland and Portugal, so the prisons are still full.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:04 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Good. I hope as many welfare potheads as possible move from my State to Colorado.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Very strange an adult as old as she is didn't have enough sense to ask questions before consuming the whole thing!

Nothing like a "first timer" judging the product by her own stupidity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.