Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 04:01 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
He didn't leave a note according to the Army authorities.
False. According to the NYT, a "senior military officer briefed on the investigation into the private’s disappearance" said he did leave the note.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/us...unit.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 04:37 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why? That info came from military authorities.
The NYT account of what was in the note came from 'a former senior military officer briefed on the investigation.'

That to me is a 4th hand report. I'm admittedly relying on it and other indirect reports to form an opinion that he deserted. My beef is with claiming that the 'desertion' label comes directly from known military authorities.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
I'm a conservative and I am glad Bergdahl is coming home. I can not even pretend to understand what anyone who goes into battle goes through or does. Who knows if he cracked, who knows what any of us would do. When he comes home he will be investigated (maybe). I will not automatically buy into any reports until I've heard more no matter how much I dislike Obama.

I just wish Obama could have been done it differently. Now I fear that other Americans will be taken hostage.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
indefeinite detention has ALWAYS been the way it works. They are held until hostilities end, which they haven't because there is no peace agreement signed by both sides.
This is quite different, where have soldiers been held 12 years, where are you going to get a peace treaty signed by foreign nationals from several countries. The US is making this up as they go along incarcerating people to fit their needs, since 911 they have been given a free pass on everything from human rights to spying on it's own citizens.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:20 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The US is making this up as they go along incarcerating people to fit their needs, since 911 they have been given a free pass on everything from human rights to spying on it's own citizens.
Exactly. And it hasn't changed with Obama either.
So all that hopey changey stuff they wanted after Bush, NEVER happened.

They barely batted an eyelash with Libya, and I don't even
think they care about troops remaining over in Afghanistan till infinity.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:29 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Exactly. And it hasn't changed with Obama either.
So all that hopey changey stuff they wanted after Bush, NEVER happened.

They barely batted an eyelash with Libya, and I don't even
think they care about troops remaining over in Afghanistan till infinity.
Bothe Bush and Obama have tried to close Guantanamo, congress wants to keep it open forever because of their electorate.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Though he didn't need approval, Congressional and/or public opposition might have forced him to back away from the deal. I don't think so, but why should he bother with controversy Before doing what he wants to do ? It's not like he cares about lying, changing laws he doesn't like, or is worried about reelection.
He didn't need to inform the public and it's very unlikely that the members of the committee's he had to report to would have made it a public issue. It might have been an internal one but I think Obama thought nobody would care because, well, he is Obama.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:36 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Sooooo did all the Bergdahl defenders see the latest news:
EXCLUSIVE: Bergdahl declared jihad in captivity, secret documents show | Fox News

Quote:
U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl at one point during his captivity converted to Islam, fraternized openly with his captors and declared himself a "mujahid," or warrior for Islam, according to secret documents prepared on the basis of a purported eyewitness account and obtained by Fox News.

The reports indicate that Bergdahl's relations with his Haqqani captors morphed over time, from periods of hostility, where he was treated very much like a hostage, to periods where, as one source told Fox News, "he became much more of an accepted fellow" than is popularly understood. He even reportedly was allowed to carry a gun at times.
Yeah ... some "prisoner" alright

Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'm a conservative and I am glad Bergdahl is coming home. I can not even pretend to understand what anyone who goes into battle goes through or does. Who knows if he cracked, who knows what any of us would do. When he comes home he will be investigated (maybe). I will not automatically buy into any reports until I've heard more no matter how much I dislike Obama.

I just wish Obama could have been done it differently. Now I fear that other Americans will be taken hostage.
I'm not vouching for the truth of this view of things, but here it is -
UPDATED: The GOP is Heading for a World of Hurt on Bergdahl, here's why

Like you, I'm waiting for all the dust to settle before I pass judgment on Obama and/or Bergdahl. There's always more than one side to a story such as this. The video clip of the handoff reportedly includes a Taliban comment to Bergdahl warning him not to come back - on pain of death. That doesn't sound like a farewell to a comrade to me.

All American soldiers in that neck of the woods are at risk all the time. I think you could make a case for the Taliban avoiding taking new prisoners lest it delay the American pullout. They watch the internet too, you know, the leaders must be well aware of how the capture of another soldier would resonate with the American public.

I think there's a *lot* more to this story than anything that's been posted here. And if I'm wrong about that, I'll still like myself better for not rushing to judgment.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Bothe Bush and Obama have tried to close Guantanamo, congress wants to keep it open forever because of their electorate.
Congress gave Obama the keys to close it. Not that this will stop you from stating the same thing over and over.

President Obama Can Shut Guantanamo Whenever He Wants

Congress isn’t actually stopping him.

President Obama can shut Guantanamo whenever he wants to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies