Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 10:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
So is that what this gay man is trying to tell himself?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:40 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
There will eventually be a gay couple in a very tiny town in a rural area with only one cake maker and the second closest 30 or 40 miles away or possibly more. I believe they were taking the court action on principle for this reason and not only for themselves.

FYI: Colorado has both remote mountain towns in its western region and remote towns in its eastern region that will have these situations. Most the population is on the I-25 corridor there (Fort Collins-Denver-Colorado Springs all along this route).

Convenience is not the central point in any event. I suppose one could have also argued if black people in the South in the early 60's could not get served at the Woolworth's diners that banned them then, they could have found one not too far away if they looked for one. However, the central point is about equality. I just thought this would be a good time to explain that CO has several tiny, remote towns in its state away from the I-25 corridor.
Having a cake baked for you isn't a civil right.

Why do people try to piggyback the plight of gays with that of blacks to legitimize some imaginary struggle? Discrimination was 'legislated' against blacks. Gays have all the rights blacks didn't have, it's insulting to compare the two.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post

Why do people try to piggyback the plight of gays with that of blacks to legitimize some imaginary struggle? Discrimination was 'legislated' against blacks. Gays have all the rights blacks didn't have, it's insulting to compare the two.
Civil rights isn't just a race thing, you know that right?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Geez, it's just a cake. No one is asking him to officiate the wedding. Maybe they should put a sign in the window saying they don't cater to gays then.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:01 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Deeply held beliefs? He shouldn't have opened a bakery then, if he thinks baking a cake is somehow evil.
Is it the flour, or the yeast, maybe the eggs that does him in.

Maybe it's the First Amendment.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Maybe it's the First Amendment.
A bakery is a business, not a church.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:25 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post

It is not just about struggle. It is about equality. Certainly blacks suffered more than any other group and that was reprehensible.

The only insult in this debate is done by those who continue to justify inequality. Hopefully you and others will see the light soon and stop doing that. Public accommodation laws require that a cake for a wedding that is available to straight people is also available to gay people. Also to black people, women, and people of other races.

Gays do not have the same rights as blacks (at least not straight blacks). You are aware that black people that are straight can marry in every state while gay people are still banned from it in 30 states. The 1964 Civil Rights Act applied to people of color, but not to gays. Gay rights in employment did not occur until a decade later in just a relatively small number of cities. It was not until the 1980's and 1990's that many other states and cities enacted legislation.

Today there is still no federal law mandating equal protection of gay rights in the workplace. The ENDA legislation did get approved by one committee, but has stalled in Congress.

If you wanted to determine the rights of Americans based on who had fewer struggles and plight, you should logically deny straight white males their rights before anyone else rather than becoming enraged at gay people for no good reason. Our country's ideals should encourage us to have equality for everyone. If there are exceptions, it is not true equality.

There is no requirement that an American citizen had to endure a certain amount of "struggle" to be granted their rights. However, there have been several instances where gay people have endured humiliating treatment and even been killed (Harvey Milk in San Francisco and Matthew Shepherd in Wyoming being two examples).

It is about equality for all, not pitting one group against another for no good reason as you did. You're welcome.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-07-2014 at 01:46 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 02:23 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
why dont the gays find a gay wedding cake baker instead of forcing someone to be a slave to them?
they are not victims in this case.

forcing someone to agree is not right.
yes you have the right to love whomever you want but you do not have the right to force others to agree with you.

I am starting to hate gays and lesbians more and more the more they act like this.
and I don't hate them in the first place. I just don't do the same things they do that's all,

I could still be friends with them.

its these gays and lesbians that give lesbians and gays a bad name.

SHAME ON YOU/them if you/they act the same way.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:28 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
It is not just about struggle. It is about equality. Certainly blacks suffered more than any other group and that was reprehensible.

The only insult in this debate is done by those who continue to justify inequality. Hopefully you and others will see the light soon and stop doing that. Public accommodation laws require that a cake for a wedding that is available to straight people is also available to gay people. Also to black people, women, and people of other races.

Gays do not have the same rights as blacks (at least not straight blacks). You are aware that black people that are straight can marry in every state while gay people are still banned from it in 30 states. The 1964 Civil Rights Act applied to people of color, but not to gays. Gay rights in employment did not occur until a decade later in just a relatively small number of cities. It was not until the 1980's and 1990's that many other states and cities enacted legislation.

Today there is still no federal law mandating equal protection of gay rights in the workplace. The ENDA legislation did get approved by one committee, but has stalled in Congress.

If you wanted to determine the rights of Americans based on who had fewer struggles and plight, you should logically deny straight white males their rights before anyone else rather than becoming enraged at gay people for no good reason. Our country's ideals should encourage us to have equality for everyone. If there are exceptions, it is not true equality.

There is no requirement that an American citizen had to endure a certain amount of "struggle" to be granted their rights. However, there have been several instances where gay people have endured humiliating treatment and even been killed (Harvey Milk in San Francisco and Matthew Shepherd in Wyoming being two examples).

It is about equality for all, not pitting one group against another for no good reason as you did. You're welcome.
chess I want to say something.

if I don't want to sell you something why should you be able to order a judge to force me to perform a service.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO MY/anyone's SERVICES If I don't want to give it to you.

if a rich person offered someone a billion dollars to help him by giving him a kidney and that person refuses.
does the judge have the right to force the person to give his kidney?

UM HELL NO.

makes sense yet?

no one has the right to force someone else to perform any service unless they want to.
this is called an agreement between both parties.

if either one disagrees then there should not be a transaction.

sure the baker can decline to sell just boycott them, suing them? that's UTTERLY STUPID
I throw up on lesbians and gays doing this type of thing.

they are just being BRATS now. maybe they should go back into their hole if they want to act that way.
like they are so entitled?

I never hated gays and lesbians but I am growing to hate them now the more bratish they become
(yes I made that word up)
damn BRATS.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
why dont the gays find a gay wedding cake baker instead of forcing someone to be a slave to them?
they are not victims in this case.

forcing someone to agree is not right.
yes you have the right to love whomever you want but you do not have the right to force others to agree with you.

I am starting to hate gays and lesbians more and more the more they act like this.
and I don't hate them in the first place. I just don't do the same things they do that's all,
The vast majority likely have no desire to sue a baker. Like the rest of us they are simply too busy with life. Generalizing about an entire group based upon the actions of the few is more of a problem IMO than someone not being able to buy a wedding cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies