Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:10 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times

Advertisements

I hope Oregon follows suit, although there haven't been any executions here for quite some time.
Clips:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/ny...nt&oref=slogin
The New Jersey Senate on voted today to make the state the first in the country to repeal the death penalty since the United States Supreme Court allowed executions to resume in 1976 and established the nation’s current system of capital punishment.

Passage in the Senate was seen as the bill’s biggest obstacle, and in the end it was approved 21 to 16, receiving the bare minimum number of votes required.

Legislators on both sides of the debate expect the measure to pass easily on Thursday in the Assembly, where the Democrats enjoy a 50-to-30 majority, .

Gov. Jon S. Corzine, a staunch opponent of the death penalty, has repeatedly said he would sign a measure ending executions..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 07:35 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Score one for the good guys. Maybe the Supreme Court will step up and do the job for the rest.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:26 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Default New Jersey is moving towards a ban on capital punishment..

It has been in the news that the legislature in New Jersey approved a ban on capital punishment and that the Governor has promised to sign the bill into law.

Interestingly, I found an article about a person that will be tried for capital punishment in Arizona..

http://www.kpho.com/news/14855174/detail.html

What are your thoughts on capital punishment? To me, certain people (a VERY, VERY small percentage of people) who are just beyond redemption should be executed. They don't deserve the luxury of life. People may say prison is worse but if you asked the death row inmates if they rather have life in prison versus death (well, they are still alive aren't they?).. the answer is pretty easy. They do deserve it and it affects so small a percentage and I think that the punishment fits the crime.

Last edited by evilnewbie; 12-14-2007 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 11:30 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They don't deserve it and it affects so small a percentage and I think that the punishment fits the crime.
So, a serial killer doesn't deserve death?

Quote:
Goudeau still faces trial for the slayings of eight women and a man in 2005-2006
Personally, if you kill somebody else, you should get the death penalty. And I don't mean sitting on death row for 40+ years and then the death penalty.

If there is undeniable proof that you did the crime (Like High-quality video, DNA, etc) - you should be "taken care of" ASAP. Sounds harsh, but at least they sterilize the spot where they're going to stick that needle.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

Personally, if you kill somebody else, you should get the death penalty. And I don't mean sitting on death row for 40+ years and then the death penalty.

If there is undeniable proof that you did the crime (Like High-quality video, DNA, etc) - you should be "taken care of" ASAP. Sounds harsh, but at least they sterilize the spot where they're going to stick that needle.
Sorry, it was a typo. I mean they DO deserve capital punishment..

Old 12-14-2007, 11:46 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Threads merged, one had already been started about New Jersery.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

I agree.

There was a recent series of articles in a loca NJ newspaper about NJ being the most expensive state to die in, it featured interviews with family members of the recently departed and how in many cases their wishes to not be tested, prodded, poked, and treated were often ignored and then bills issued for the unwanted services. I wish we had a state government that paid a little more attention to the welfare of decent citizens before worrying about the criminal element.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:59 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
Good for New Jersey.

The death penalty has long been about vengence, and has hardly been an actual deterrant. It's historically been disparately applied, and with no apparent contrition or remorse for such misapplication.

Millions of Americans will be glad to see it go.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:04 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I'd like to see the US do away with capital punishment. We've seen too many times that we haven't always made good choices with murder trials, and even with DNA evidence becoming more mainstream, mistakes are made.

A eye for an eye can make for more blind not fewer murders.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:11 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Good for New jersey, hopefully more states will follow soon. It has been shown that it is not a deterrent. Murder rates in states with the death penalty are now lower than ones without it. How do you teach that killing is wrong, by killing????
and it doesn't bring back the victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies