Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 05:34 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Interesting analogy but I don't think it fits.

If we had enough warning, we might be able to shoot a nuclear warhead at an asteroid to either make it change its course, or blow it up. How do we stop glaciers from calving?
If I knew the answer to that I'd be a billionaire.

The analogy fits in the sense that the current rate of climate change is synonymous to a large meteor heading toward earth. While it is true that both have been occurring for billions of years, there comes a point in time where the situation becomes more serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 05:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'm guessing all that ice melting into the ocean will cause sea levels to continue rising in exactly the same way it has for the past twenty thousand years.
Not quite. The weight of all that ice has already displaced the water in the oceans. Which is why 90% of the iceberg is submerged. So melting icebergs do not increase sea levels.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post

The analogy fits in the sense that the current rate of climate change is synonymous to a large meteor heading toward earth. While it is true that both have been occurring for billions of years, there comes a point in time where the situation becomes more serious.
Where the analogy breaks down is that climate change between glaciation and interglacial periods takes centuries. Whereas a meteorite impact is instantaneous. Furthermore, we can mitigate a meteorite impact by diverting the asteroid's trajectory. We cannot stop the interglacial period from ending, or the glaciation period from beginning again. All we can do is adapt the best we can.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:46 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:

The analogy doesn't fit in that the meteor heading towards earth isn't man made. Just like the deniers KNOW that the acceleration of global temperatures aren't man made.

But wait, they also deny that the earth is warming at all. (You know the 18 year thing that was already posted on this thread).

The deniers need to decide whether the earth is warming or not and stick with one story.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:56 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Hold me!!! I'm TERRIFIED!!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:15 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
I don't quite understand this point of view. If a meteor was heading for earth, would you hold a similar view of "Whats the big deal? Meteors have been hitting the earth for billions of years."?
To start with, you're not trying to convince us that despite billions of years of meteors, we humans are now to blame for every one to come from this point forward.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:22 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The analogy doesn't fit in that the meteor heading towards earth isn't man made. Just like the deniers KNOW that the acceleration of global temperatures aren't man made.

But wait, they also deny that the earth is warming at all. (You know the 18 year thing that was already posted on this thread).

The deniers need to decide whether the earth is warming or not and stick with one story.
Has it ever occurred to you that sometimes the earth can warm for several years, then level off for several years, or cool for several years, then change direction again?

What makes you think that the trend is always in one direction and when things change the trend has to be linear in the other direction?

Oh wait. I used the word "think"

Old 10-27-2014, 06:32 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
To start with, you're not trying to convince us that despite billions of years of meteors, we humans are now to blame for every one to come from this point forward.
You are right. I'm not.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
I don't quite understand this point of view. If a meteor was heading for earth, would you hold a similar view of "Whats the big deal? Meteors have been hitting the earth for billions of years."?

Life is full of things you must adapt to, or you will become extinct.

We all die. To witness that before my death, I would see things my parents never got a chance to see.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:45 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
They Took A Camera To A Remote Area In Greenland, And What They Recorded Is Simply Terrifying

This video is terrifying and spectacular at the same time. Hard to deny that something is going on in the Arctic regions after watching this video.
And the ice buildup in the Antarctic is faster than ever recorded previously.

From only 2 years ago Antarctic Sea Ice Sets Another Record - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies