U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 PM

816 posts, read 941,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Gendarmerie's which patrol many part of Europe are often military units or closely linked to the military.

Gendarmerie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

British Policing however has always been different and based on the concept of Policing by Consent and the Peelian Principles (Sir Robert Peel).

History of policing - Metropolitan Police Service

Peelian Principles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The policing in Europe is far more civil overall, with possibibly Italy as the lone exception. American cops have long been arrogant and aggressive. Now they have wwapons of war too. Bad news.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM

24,885 posts, read 14,663,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Another goodie Obama passed. No trial for any American.. they can arrest you and jail you and for no good reason.. take you out of your home and you are gone...gestapo style.
Sorry, that was done in the PATRIOT act. That's why there are some prisoners in Guantanamo right now--and perhaps other places--whose names nobody even knows.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 PM

7,805 posts, read 3,844,552 times
Without having read any of the posts, I have an idea. Since in many states the Sheriff is an elected official or is otherwise under the jurisdiction of the local city/county commission, go to the voting booth and vote him out or go to the city/county commission meetings and speak out. If you are right and his doing an awful job or doing strange things you will start getting support and you will start a movement.

Yes..voting and using the democratic process...what a radical idea.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 PM

This is a funny thing that I guess having served in the military under six presidents I should take more philosophically.

When I first enlisted toward the end of the Vietnam War, during the presidencies of Nixon and Ford, the US military were "jack-booted fascists" to the left-spinning wingnuts.

Then Carter became president and the military became the "jack-booted fascists" to the right-spinning wingnuts.

Then during the Reagan and Bush presidencies, we became the "jack-booted fascists" of the left-spinning wingnuts again.

Then with Clinton....

Then with Bush....

Now with Obama.

Back and forth, as though the character of the entire Department of Defense changed just because the temporary resident of the White House changed.

Of course, the new double-spin is that people say, "Thank you for your service...you jack-booted fascists." It's enough to confuse a poor GI Joe.

And now the police are catching the same thing.

Folks, the military boot camps and police academies are not so efficient that they can turn an average American teenager into a "jack-booted fascist" in just eight weeks. It doesn't happen. Only wingnuts who have never been soldiers or police officers think it does.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 PM

13,256 posts, read 11,326,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is a funny thing that I guess having served in the military under six presidents I should take more philosophically.

When I first enlisted toward the end of the Vietnam War, during the presidencies of Nixon and Ford, the US military were "jack-booted fascists" to the left-spinning wingnuts.

Then Carter became president and the military became the "jack-booted fascists" to the right-spinning wingnuts.

Then during the Reagan and Bush presidencies, we became the "jack-booted fascists" of the left-spinning wingnuts again.

Then with Clinton....

Then with Bush....

Now with Obama.

Back and forth, as though the character of the entire Department of Defense changed just because the temporary resident of the White House changed.

Of course, the new double-spin is that people say, "Thank you for your service...you jack-booted fascists." It's enough to confuse a poor GI Joe.

And now the police are catching the same thing.

Folks, the military boot camps and police academies are not so efficient that they can turn an average American teenager into a "jack-booted fascist" in just eight weeks. It doesn't happen. Only wingnuts who have never been soldiers or police officers think it does.

The Police and the military are NOT the same. That is the issue people are making here.

Also, I've never known of a majority while I've been alive to have hated soldiers. Even when people were protesting the Iraq and Afghan wars they weren't disrespecting individual service people to my knowledge.

So not the same issue at all. And has nothing to do with politics in this arena.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The Police and the military are NOT the same. That is the issue people are making here.
The police and the military are the same in that they are all normal Americans doing their jobs and are not forces of jack-booted Nazis.

Quote:
And has nothing to do with politics in this arena.
And they are the same in that they don't swing one way for one president and another way for another president.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:12 PM

39,164 posts, read 21,291,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The police and the military are the same in that they are all normal Americans doing their jobs and are not forces of jack-booted Nazis.

And they are the same in that they don't swing one way for one president and another way for another president.
They are also the same in that they are both occupiers who serve to defend the governments interests (not to be confused with protecting the public)The military serves at the behest of the state overseas, and police depts fullfill the same role stateside.
And yes, both are populated with order following jack booted thugs that have an us against them mentality.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,469,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But collectively private retirement accounts (401K, IRA, etc) contain $20 trillion just sitting there.

Why Congress could put that money to good use. Everyone's money would be "invested" in Treasuries and then guaranteed an income for life while Congress uses that money to "better life in America".

And if you aren't aware that talk like that IS going on in DC then you haven't been paying attention.
Congress had their panel.
The DOL had their panel (3 days worth).
The new Consumer Protection Agency had their panel.

All of them seem to think that Americans really don't want to manage their own retirement accounts and would be glad to hand their money over to Uncle Sam in return for a guaranteed income stream later in life.

Like they didn't already do this with FICA and SS ?
Look at the mess that is in today because they saw surplus money and just had to "borrow it" only now that the SS fund needs it they cannot pay it back.

Yeah..I'm keeping tabs on what DC wants to do with OUR MONEY.
Yeah, we have seen how well that works.
Geithner Raids Federal Pension Funds - Déjà Vu from Last ...

Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 PM

261 posts, read 181,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I plan to vote for the candidates that I like, but then again I don't fear that the government is coming to get me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
The only responsible recourse is to vote out all democrats and republicans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet watch almost all of Congress get reelected by the same people that say Se need to vote everyone out of office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Which is impossible as you know.
Yet everyone is assuming that merely tossing a vote at something actually means anything anymore.

Who counts these votes, how many of Diebold, Inc.'s machines are hacked? A democracy held by media-proxy can make anything seem true or realistic.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:06 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,892,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
The policing in Europe is far more civil overall, with possibibly Italy as the lone exception. American cops have long been arrogant and aggressive. Now they have wwapons of war too. Bad news.
I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of some of the French, Italian, Spanish, other Southern European police forces and the police in Eastern Europe. Central and Northern Europe have the more civil police in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies