Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, but sometimes voting Libertarian does nothing more than give another vote to the Democrats. Until the Libertarians can put candidates up in local and state elections that are electable many will continue to vote Republican. Reagan was more in line with Libertarian views on many issues.
I prefer libertarian views in general, but I strongly prefer the Democrats to the Republicans, and will vote that way in a very tight or very important race.

I considered McCain and Palin to be unutterably evil, and Obama to be at least somewhat promising, in 2008 and so voted for the latter.

I was disappointed in Obama by 2012 and didn't detest Romney nearly as much as I did McCain; so I went for Gary Johnson.

I don't regret either vote.

Last edited by djacques; 06-10-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 08:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
you are right, but sometimes voting Libertarian does nothing more than give another vote to the Democrats. Until the Libertarians can put candidates up in local and state elections that are electable many will continue to vote Republican. Reagan was more in line with Libertarian views on many issues.

Hmmm... "Just Say No" and increased military spending aren't exactly Libertarian views. At any rate, you're right about Libertarians gaining more influence on state and local levels. At any rate, I also have to disagree with the misconception that voting Libertarian or for another 3rd party is just another vote for Democrats, because the way I see it voting for "the lesser of two evils" is still a vote for evil. My vote is my vote, and it's who I feel are the candidates that will best represent WE THE PEOPLE, and not pander to the corporatists!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
I know. My son still yells at me. He says I should have voted for Romney.
It was his first time voting at 18 and that's who he picked even after campaigning for Paul.

With all that has happened since Obama's second term, I kind of agree with him a tiny tiny tiny bit

I was actually surprised Johnson didn't get more votes though. If our party had been given more exposure in the debates, we might have. It's rumored he might run again for 2016.

But if Clinton runs, I don't know what I am going to do I so do not want her as President, it might be a deal breaker for me to vote for the R .......I'm sorry I can't even say it, yet

Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
I like Libertarian ideals but without extending freedoms to C Corporate entities not managed by the owners of the entity. Some libertarians will view Walmart, inc as another John Smith with the same bill of rights that can pursue same actions as a person, including hire all the attorneys in the world to protect IT

And if they go under they can chapter 11 re-organize and continuing operating and nobody is liable if they spill 10 billion gallons of oil into the cleanest mountain spring

This is why I think freedom does not extend to a business that reaches the size too large to hold an owner fully responsible for damages because this protection shield poses an uneven playing field for a rival individualist.

I am concerned that company sizes are becoming too large and number of CEOs becoming too few. This is an inequality concern and the solution is less regulation, definitely not more regulation. It's the regulations that are making the start up costs of entry so high that BIG businesses have no fear of competition and are being helped by federal regulations and even bailed out if even they can't make it. This is messed up.

Then politicians can say "so what if we have bigger businesses and just more employees in large hierarchies?" The answer is this stunts product quality and improvements in goods and services by shutting out competitors and we are not competing domestically anymore, we are competing with Europe and Asia so by over-regulating, we are reducing the competitiveness of America and shooting ourselves in the foot. Eventually our big businesses may be too big to fail here at home, but they won't be too big to fail globally.

Last edited by EricS39; 06-10-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Heck, why not bring back the Whig Party too.

Or even better, the Know-Nothing Party!
The know nothing party could have a huge following in this forum

Old 06-10-2014, 10:10 AM

311 posts, read 492,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There aren't many people who want liberty these days, sadly.

Most either want to be cradled or want power over others.
....and they are afraid of real change to the otherwise corrupt system we have today. Most Americans are afraid of "rocking the boat".

Old 06-10-2014, 10:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
The know nothing party could have a huge following in this forum
Haha, probably so, it is actually an interesting party to read about and how it was formed. You should definitely check it out if you have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies