Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times

Advertisements

http://www.local6.com/education/14859000/detail.html?rss=orlpn&psp=news (broken link)

I am frankly shocked that the school took this action. I think the boy should be congratulated and I for one would feel that the school would have been required to report this sex offenders presence to the parents who had kids in the school. Just who are they trying to protect?

Its not like the kid who was the sex offender had a closed record, he was right on the list for anyone to see.

I wonder what would have happened if this sex offender had gone unnoticed and had re-offended, how many people would be lined up to lynch the principal for keeping this quiet??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
The rapist should have been exposed but not by using the school's copy machines and bulletin boards. What happened to word of mouth?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:23 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The rapist should have been exposed but not by using the school's copy machines and bulletin boards. What happened to word of mouth?
These websites have a pre compiled flyer in order for people to distribute in just this way. The school has a responsibility to protect ALL their students not just the SICK ones.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:43 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,511 times
I probably would have been a bit more discrete, like copying the papers on my own time and then passing them out to students via sliding them inside their lockers. This way get the word out but not make it obvious where it came from.

This way, if the sex offender decided to seek revenge by coming to school with an AK, I would not have been the #1 target

Old 12-15-2007, 06:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
I probably would have been a bit more discrete, like copying the papers on my own time and then passing them out to students via sliding them inside their lockers. This way get the word out but not make it obvious where it came from.

This way, if the sex offender decided to seek revenge by coming to school with an AK, I would not have been the #1 target
The school should call an assembly and bring the student sex offender in front of the school to explain his actions. He should explain what he did, why he did it and if he is sorry he did and will never do it again. If he does do this, the student who passed out the flyers can then apologize and they can make up and it can all go away.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Vigilantes should not be rewarded for what they do either. I think the school took appropriate action. If that high school is anything like any high school in the rest of the country, everyone knows anyway.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 AM

640 posts, read 461,439 times
Raydon Gilmore is a hero! His mother should sue the school district for sending her son home for 3 days after he exposed a convicted sex offender. The principal should be fired or hung in the public square......

Old 12-15-2007, 08:45 AM

640 posts, read 461,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Vigilantes should not be rewarded for what they do either. I think the school took appropriate action. If that high school is anything like any high school in the rest of the country, everyone knows anyway.
Hmm, interesting opinion. Scary one, too. If your child were hurt by this offender, you'd probably take a different view and be screaming WHY, WHY, WHY didn't the school TELL parents and students they had ill company....

Old 12-15-2007, 11:18 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
The kid did nothing wrong but he should have went to the school admin first, people have the right to know where sex offenders live, work and go to school. if I had a daughter in that school I would want her to know.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Hmm, interesting opinion. Scary one, too. If your child were hurt by this offender, you'd probably take a different view and be screaming WHY, WHY, WHY didn't the school TELL parents and students they had ill company....

What do we know about the offender? Based on what the article said he was arrested for, he could just be the victim of a vindicative parent of an underage girlfriend. We certainly had a few "child abusers" at my high school who were 18 who were caught with their 15 or 16 year old girlfriends.

As a rape victim, I still want my rapist to have basic human rights (behind bars..). Do you know how many rapists their are in your children's high school? You would be surprised. I can name off the top of my head about 10 guys in my high school class of 550. Teenage girls don't report them, but everyone knows. Should I have gone around passing out fliers about these guys despite the fact that it was common knowledge and there were no charges passed? How about go plaster the house of the guy down the street who is on the sexual offender list? Or the mom down the street who had her kids taken away due to her alcoholism? I bet I could make a pretty snappy flier about how not to let the neighborhood kids out when she's on the road!

I stand by my opinion. People have no right to make other's lives a living hell when they don't know the circumstances of the crime. If he was a real sexual offender, the guy would not be allowed back at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies