Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 10:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
40 years ago there were no games, children were not on meds because they were out running and playing and yes even with plastic guns back then....as for gaming, it's up to the parent to tell there chidren there are no "do over" buttons in life.

My son plays all those bad games (on both XBOX and PS3), and we have plenty of guns in the house....guess what, I taught my son....

I tell my son that very same thing all of the time. There is no reset button in real life. My parents used similar language when I was a kid. I played with plastic guns all of the time, and my son loves his Nerf guns. It's better than being glued to the XBox, the WII or an IPOD all day. My kid is like me. He wants to be outside any chance that he gets, and gets cabin fever like his old man, so he is happy to give up the gadgets to play outside.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Underlying mental illness is the common factor, not Methylphenidate. We need to be very specific here. There is no evidence that stimulant medication used to treat uncomplicated ADD/ADHD, prescribed and used at the appropriate dosage, is the cause of school shootings. Absolutely. No. Evidence. And to imply otherwise is incredibly irresponsible.

Again, we need to be very specific. Schizophrenia and ADD/ADHD are different disorders and treated with different medications. The drug commonly used to treat schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder is called Risperidone, which goes by the trade name Risperdal.
Highlighted along with parent coaching are key factors, ones that you nor I can determine. And again we aren't blaming just the drugs, but ignoring they could possibley be one of the factors is irresponsible.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Liberal lies? Are you telling me they aren't lobbying for more and more guns to be in the hands of every man, woman and child? That they don't own Congress? That "the only way to stop a bad guy with gun is a good guy with a gun" means something other than "everyone buy more guns?"

Cuz if you are, I think you're the one who might need medication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I hate to break it to you, but that IS a huge part of the gun culture.

Thanks for pointing that out!

(Please don't try to tell me that Hollywood and game companies deliberately make products that people haven't demanded … because that's even crazier than the last thing you said. }
more emotion from you. are there NRA members in congress? yes, on both sides of the isle. does the NRA "own" congress? i doubt it. does the NRA lobby congress? yes they do along with thousands of other organizations. if the NRA really did own congress, then the brady laws would have been repealed by now, and they havent been. and tell you the truth, if a bad guy has a gun and you dont, chances are you are not going to have a chance to stop him. with a gun you do. and i hate to break it to you, but in reality first person shooter games are not part of the "gun culture" they are part of the gaming culture. big difference. just because you like to make emotional arguments, and insult people who do not ascribe to your point of view, does not make you right. now go take your meds and calm down, like a good little liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Rbohm, I think there is ample evidence in your post that you are grossly misinformed about how ADD/ADHD is diagnosed and treated. Furthermore, I think you are also prone to make grandiose claims to further a personal agenda, the basis of which I cannot fathom.

I am VERY well informed about the side effects of Methylphenidate, its various forms, the laws that govern how it is dispensed, and how it is to be administered, both at home and at school. Furthermore, I know exactly what is contraindicated for patients who are taking it. You clearly do not.

It does not serve the discussion to confuse the drugs used to treat delusional disorders like schizophrenia and the drugs used to treat simple attention disorders. Once again, we need to be very specific, because your previous post is filled with vague and unsubstantiated statements. BTW, Ritalin is a stimulant, NOT an anti-psychotic. Please do not confuse the two.
first off i do know something about add, and adhd as i lived through the era when it was the big diagnosis, and since that era started shortly after my niece was born, i looked into it then, that was 21 years ago. 15 years ago my niece was "diagnosed" with adhd, as again it was the common diagnosis for an active 6 year old. that was also the time when people were wondering if perhaps these disorders were being over diagnosed, which in the end they were. today add and adhd are more tightly diagnosed and treated, but 15-20 years ago, not so much.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Maybe we should create a law whereby males under age 25 are simply banned from buying guns. If you buy a gun for a male under 25 you yourself are prosecuted.

Don't let young males legally have guns ever at all, and we would halve our incidence of gun violence in this country. Let Johnny hunt for his deer when he's over 25.
First off, in my original post I asked that we leave firearms out of the discussion. Oh well I'm sure this thread will get shut down eventually ....thanks anti -gun people.

Let's just say that we do move the firearms age to 25 (handguns is already 21) so what will 4 more years do ? It might work, I won't discredit it. Now I see it might only work in one segment , the mass shooting by a young adult one. It won't do squat in the inner cities...

Old 06-11-2014, 11:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
My big concern in this thread is that delusional disorders like schizophrenia and attention disorders like ADHD, along with the drugs used to treat them, are being lumped together. From here on out, let us be VERY careful to differentiate the two.

Delusional disorders are treated with anti-psychotics like Risperidone, aka Risperdal, which is also used to treat autism, bipolar disorder, and Tourette syndrome. Delusional disorders are very serious and difficult to treat. Sufferers are notoriously non-compliant patients.

Attention disorders are most commonly treated with stimulant drugs like Methylphenidate, aka Ritalin/Concerta, which is also used to treat narcolepsy. To a lesser extent, attention disorders are also treated with Adderall and Strattera. Most attention disorders respond well to stimulants. There is NO evidence that stimulants, used appropriately, are the cause of violent behavior.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
First off, in my original post I asked that we leave firearms out of the discussion. Oh well I'm sure this thread will get shut down eventually ....thanks anti -gun people.

Let's just say that we do move the firearms age to 25 (handguns is already 21) so what will 4 more years do ? It might work, I won't discredit it. Now I see it might only work in one segment , the mass shooting by a young adult one. It won't do squat in the inner cities...
Of course it would. Sixty-seven per cent of homicides are by firearm. There is no such thing as a drive-by knifing, or an assault-bat. Quite difficult to kill people from a distance with any other means than a firearm.

Young males are the major perpetrators of gun violence, but they are also the most likely to be victims.

For 2011, the rate for death by homicide for white males peaked at age 20 (11.4 homicides per 100,000 white males), while the homicide rate for black males peaked at age 23 (100.3 homicides per 100,000 black males).

By the way, the peak homicide rate for white women is for infants aged less than one year. Yes, that means that as a white female, your highest likelihood of being murdered is when you are an infant, most likely at the hands of caregivers. Black females have a much higher infant homicide rate, but the peak age for black female homicide is age 22.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/hus11.pdf

Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

your intent with this thread was honorable, but it gun grabbers and gun haters are always going to make it about the gun and nothing else. what they forget though is that it wont do any good to heavily regulate or even eliminate firearms from american society, because number one we cant do it, and number two there are other, much better, ways to kill large numbers of people, and make headlines at the same time. but the antigunners dont understand this. they understand that when someone gets the thought in their heads to kill someone, and they start to plan a way to kill someone, or a lot of people, they will use any means possible to achieve that objective.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
first off i do know something about add, and adhd as i lived through the era when it was the big diagnosis, and since that era started shortly after my niece was born, i looked into it then, that was 21 years ago. 15 years ago my niece was "diagnosed" with adhd, as again it was the common diagnosis for an active 6 year old. that was also the time when people were wondering if perhaps these disorders were being over diagnosed, which in the end they were. today add and adhd are more tightly diagnosed and treated, but 15-20 years ago, not so much.
You "looked into it" fifteen years ago, so that makes you an expert? Uh-huh. If only your posts demonstrated as much. Please, just stop. You are doing nothing to further this discussion, and you are creating confusion for those who aren't well-informed about the differences between attention disorders, delusional disorders, and depressive disorders, along with the drugs used to treat them. It's irresponsible. You are NOT an expert, so stop pretending to be one.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I will never compromise my beliefs, or deny myself the means to protect myself or my family! EVER!!! Nor will I support making more US citizens more vulnerable to the evil that lurks in our society just so your feelings aren't hurt, along with your overblown fear of an inanimate object, and the continued treatment of the US Constution as if it is some outdated rag! So, perhaps maybe it is YOU who seeks to hinder your fellow Americans from defending themselves and their families from harm that hates their fellow Americans! Because it certainly isn't me.
Can't rep you anymore... great post and I hope there are many others that are like minded.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Pretty much goes along with what I've been saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies