Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 11:52 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I updated my post. So , if people are willing to break the laws that are already in place ...what do you propose again ?
That the "crooked" gun shops be shut down. In order to do this, the ATF needs more funding. I think I read somewhere that on average it takes something like a decade for ATF to shut a crooked gun shop down, they are so hampered by lack of personnel and resources.

That people who are found to have bought a gun as a "straw purchase" for someone else be prosecuted once this fact is discovered.

That gun shop owners be heavily fined when a 'straw purchase' of a firearm can be traced back to them.

That people who report their guns as stolen be investigated and maybe fined, since quite often these people have not secured their weapons properly, e.g. in a gun safe.

Don't buy your children guns. Yes, I know that the vast majority of these kids will only kill the occasional squirrel but do they really need to be killing animals anyway before age 18? If it prevents even one school shooting wouldn't that be worth your child not enjoying the thrill of killing a sentient animal. {i can just hear all the hunters; "My kid has a right to kill if he wants to! And I heartily support killing." rah rah rah

Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Just because research was done in 1994 doesn't mean it's invalid now.

One of the reasons there is such a lack of recent good information on gun violence is because for decades congress made sure that any funding for research that might be even hinting at preventing gun violence was denied. At least Obama did succeed in getting that changed.
So, there have been no more studies on anything that you provided in that study?

Gun Rhetoric vs. Gun Facts

Take a quick look at the chart above/below and tell me if your link can still be valid....

Quote:
"Despite national attention to the issue of firearm violence, most Americans are unaware that gun crime is lower today than it was two decades ago," the researchers say.
Study: Gun homicides, violence down sharply in past 20 years - CNN.com

Quote:
Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware
Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Research Center

Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
That the "crooked" gun shops be shut down. In order to do this, the ATF needs more funding. I think I read somewhere that on average it takes something like a decade for ATF to shut a crooked gun shop down, they are so hampered by lack of personnel and resources.

That people who are found to have bought a gun as a "straw purchase" be prosecuted once this fact is discovered.

That gun shop owners be heavily fined when a 'straw purchase' of a firearm can be traced back to them.

That people who report their guns as stolen be investigated and maybe fined, since quite often these people have not secured their weapons properly, e.g. in a gun safe.
the ATF doesnt need more funding, they have plenty to do their proper jobs and shut down straw purchases, and illegal gun shops. the problem is that they DONT DO THEIR JOBS.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:56 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
I updated my post. So , if people are willing to break the laws that are already in place ...what do you propose again ?
Or even enforce the current FEDERAL law...

Remember what ole joe said:

Quote:
And to your point, Mr. Baker, regarding the lack of prosecutions on lying on Form 4473s, we simply don’t have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on a form, that checks a wrong box, that answers a question inaccurately.”

VP: We 'don't have the time' to charge background check lies | The Daily Caller

Old 06-11-2014, 12:01 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Default Other reasons for mass shootings v.3

Shall we continue ?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Shall we continue ?

Maybe you should restate the original intention of the thread.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 PM

v.2 made it 6 pages of good adult discussion... and what group of people got it closed ? I'm begining to see a reccurring agenda here... and it certainly isn't "for the children"

Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should restate the original intention of the thread.
Why ? Certain posters couldn't follow it.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I still stand its at home. Theres a serious problem if you dont notice some issues going on. When i was a teen my mother went through my room like a fine tooth comb- if i ever thought about hiding a gun, shed of found it so quick my head would have turned. How do you even walk in the school holding a gun or down the street and no one goes " wait a minute?!". There is a disconnect. Maybe it is gun control, mental illness, parenting, but it HAS to start with parents being involved in all aspects of their childrens lives.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Shall we continue ?

you are glutton for punishment, arent you? i like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies