Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:01 PM

11,069 posts, read 10,629,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Then Mexico should be among the safest countries on the planet!
Not only that, Americans should have killed themselves off in the first 50 years or so, since firearms ownership was close to %100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,369,684 times
A Harvard study finds that the more guns in circulation the more likely there will be homicides. Did we really need a study to find that out? Here are more studies we should do:

Does having a gun in your home increase the likelihood of a gun accident?

Do more cars on the road result in more accidents?

Does eating a gallon of ice cream everyday cause weight gain?

Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,879,427 times
Not a study, four different studies over a decade. We get the same results over and over again. More guns, more homicides, more gun crimes. Less guns, less homicide, less gun crimes. It's that simple.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:33 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,145,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Here's a link to four excellent peer reviewed studies done over an extended period of time all across the country and each time the evidence points them to the exact same conclusion, that more guns a place has the more homocides it has. More guns equals more gun violence. Now, this is actual fact based research which directly contridicts the claims of the gun nuts who, wrongly, claim that more guns makes everyone safer. The facts and the evidence all show the exact opposite is true; more guns means more gun violence and more killing making ALL people less safe.

Homicide | Harvard Injury Control Research Center | Harvard School of Public Health

I'm sure the gun nuts will chime in with the same old disproven cliches just like they always do. They never do let facts get in the way of their fetish.

great. since cities and urban areas tend to be more democratic and the country and suburbs tend to be more conservative, I think that this persons study should be changed from the state to the urban vs country. that way we can get a true sense on how bad the urban (democrat) areas are vs the country (conservative) area is.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,218,534 times
Quote:
Not a study, four different studies over a decade. We get the same results over and over again. More guns, more homicides, more gun crimes. Less guns, less homicide, less gun crimes. It's that simple.
I take it you are ignoring the Harvard study that found gun control counterproductive.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,824,478 times
Quote:
Yet in the states with higher gun ownership there is less murder with guns. You seem to be missing the key sentence.

Quote:
After controlling for poverty and urbanization
You understand what they are doing here right? They are taking the rates and then weighting them , the more rural you are the higher the weight.

All I can tell you is this, nearly every person where I live owns a weapon. I hear gunshots all the time. One of the least things I'm worried about is getting killed by someone with a gun. I'm more likely to have tree limb fall and hit me which almost happened the other day.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,220,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You understand what they are doing here right? They are taking the rates and then weighting them , the more rural you are the higher the weight.
No, they are removing the effects of other variables so the effect of one variable alone (number of guns) can be isolated. Generally this is done with regression.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,131,904 times
Quote:
To a simplistic mind.

It doesn't work that way in the real world.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:35 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,824,478 times
Look at this way.

• The national murder rate is 5.
  • The murder rate by firearms (or any murder) for the last few decades in my small community is 0 and as I noted everyone has a gun.
  • The murder rate in my county also with a high rate of gun ownership with a population of 300K which has mix of small towns and semi rural areas is anywhere from 1 to 2 when we exclude one small city.
  • That small city in my county has a murder rate of about 30 in 2013 driven by black on black violence.
  • Detroit has murder rate of 54

Where do you want to live if safety is your concern?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:40 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,879,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I take it you are ignoring the Harvard study that found gun control counterproductive.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf
That's a study from 1979 which the author has since said is outdated and not applicable.

That did indeed get published and then torn apart and debunked as shoddy work riddled with statistical errors. The paper was than withdrawn by its authors.

Shoddy Gun Paper Excites Right Wing | MyFDL

That eight years later the right wing is still trying to sell this debunked paper tells you just how desperate they are and how all the research really has gone against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies