Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The funny thing is....you think those numbers are big.

Take ALL those dead. Now...execute every single person in both Iraq, and Afghanistan. Every single one.

And WW2 would still beat that.

Sorry but despite how appalling the levels of violence are now, they used to be far far worse.
You quoted me, and in very first line, I clearly stated, "I'd agree that we have been safer and with less war over the last few decades." I made no comparison to any past wars, because there is no comparison. I only stated the facts of the now, current events, the world as it is. I also added the caveat that dominoes would have to fall into place.

Reading comprehension includes acknowledging agreement, and not just zoning in on a single element of what was said.

Are my assertions wrong?

Quote:
I agree. I suspect we will see some serious violence in the future. Probably involving China if I had to guess. Maybe Russia-although if you had asked me that 5 years ago I would have scoffed about Russia.
Only to basically say the exact same thing I did. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 05:31 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You quoted me, and in very first line, I clearly stated, "I'd agree that we have been safer and with less war over the last few decades." I made no comparison to any past wars, because there is no comparison. I only stated the facts of the now, current events, the world as it is. I also added the caveat that dominoes would have to fall into place.

Reading comprehension includes acknowledging agreement, and not just zoning in on a single element of what was said.

Are my assertions wrong?
Let me clarify then. I mentioned the war, but low level conflicts like this have been very regular. Growing up in the cold war we were a LOT closer to conflict, and engaged in conflict via proxies far more.

And we occasionally had some serious disagreements with russia. One thing I have noticed is that these days, we're a LOT more public about incidents then back then.

And Vietnam, Korea, etc. Heck we provided anti-aircraft weapons to some folks in Afghanistan who were fighting the Russians!

PS-Also let me add, you are correct in that I did not spend enough time reading your post. I still disagree with you, but I should have read it better, and I apologize.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Obama says obvious factually true statement, right wing goes nuts.
I'm not going nuts? he is telling the truth, the world is less violent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
You'd have to be somewhat dull to think that the world is more violent. There are isolated wars but can you honestly say there is more war and violence then there has ever been? I think the Tea Partiers unfortunately really believe the propaganda FOX News feeds them. The world is really more violent now than WWII?
Huh? what does fox news have to do with anything and please attempt to explain what kind of propaganda i'm being fed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Obama: "The World Is Less Violent Than It Has Ever Been" | Video | RealClearPolitics

I guess the rest of the world didn't get those memos..

WTF? This country is being lead by the worst clueless POS in history.
He is correct, notice how the world flips sh-t over Russia taking a little island.
crime rates are also much lower, it's not the 70s anymore.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
If Obama walked on water the headline would be "Obama can't swim".
While I'm not a fan of Obama, that was funny.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Obama's statement is factually true, the world is less violent now than it has ever been. It is amusing that Obama made this claim just a day after he insisted that America is plagued “off the charts” gun violence and school shootings which happen “now once a week.” In fact, gun violence in America has been on the decline for decades.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:49 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
...And yet again, President Obama makes a factual statement, and conservatives lose their minds over it.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Obama trolls by doing the right thing and stating facts in public. Bush trolled by being a terrible president. Not really equivalent.
Cool story bro, is this what ThinkProgress told you?

Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
If Obama walked on water the headline would be "Obama can't swim".
That is funny!

While we're above the fold:

If Obama was saved from drowning, the NYT headline would be "Obama walks on water; if you don't believe it you're a racist!"

>>>>Breaking News: Americans are being evacuated from Iraq!<<<<

Holy crap, the insurgents just stole $400M US from an Iraqi bank. I guess you could say we just funded them.

Last edited by steven_h; 06-12-2014 at 07:39 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
And another group would claim that him walking on water PROVED he wasn't a US citizen since he only people known to do that were from the middle east, therefore its obvious that he was born there.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
And another group would claim that him walking on water PROVED he wasn't a US citizen since he only people known to do that were from the middle east, therefore its obvious that he was born there.
You just interrupted fun sarcasm with a weak regurgitation... No soup for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies