Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:52 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times

Advertisements

TEA PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ZOMFGLOLBBQ!!!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,552 times
The Tea Party is not concerned about war. They are solely focused on wanting a smaller and more fiscally responsible Government, lower taxes, strict adherence to The Constitution, basically economic issues. Furthermore, The Tea Party did not "get us involved in this mess", the Tea Party didn't even exist at that time. The OP also seems unaware of the fact that the majority of Democrats, including up-and coming candidate Hillary Clinton, supported the war in the beginning.

I wanted the troops out of Iraq! I was mostly against the war in the first place, though I did support killing Saddam Hussein (Death to Tyrants is all I have to say) and the initial attack was unavoidable, Saddam said he had weapons of Mass Destruction and was threatening to use them on Kuait and Israel, of course this turned out to be false (or maybe he moved them?), but The Bush Administration did not lie, the UN sent inspectors to Iraq earlier and they approved our initial involvement. I do not know why we stayed so long, after we killed Saddam Hussein we should have left. It was not over oil though like many people were falsely told.

Also, the reason why Bush didn't need Congressional Approval for Iraq was because Iraq was "technically" not a war. We have not "technically" been in a war since shortly after WW2. It's BS I know, but that's how the Government works. Iraq was called a "Military Intervention" and no Congressional Approval was needed for that.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:17 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I wanted the troops out of Iraq! I was mostly against the war in the first place, though I did support killing Saddam Hussein (Death to Tyrants is all I have to say) and the initial attack was unavoidable, Saddam said he had weapons of Mass Destruction and was threatening to use them on Kuait and Israel
He admitted defying the UN inspections regime at a time when the UN was inspecting his facilities? Do you have a source for this nonsensical claim?

Quote:
of course this turned out to be false (or maybe he moved them?), but The Bush Administration did not lie, the UN sent inspectors to Iraq earlier and they approved our initial involvement.
The UN inspectors were not tasked with approving the invasion of Iraq or disapproving it; and the UN itself said in Res. 1441 that the Security Council "will remain seized of the matter." That does not translate in any language to "Bombs Away!"

Old 06-14-2014, 11:19 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Peace through strength. Show a big stick and they won't want to fight you.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
He admitted defying the UN inspections regime at a time when the UN was inspecting his facilities? Do you have a source for this nonsensical claim?

The UN inspectors were not tasked with approving the invasion of Iraq or disapproving it; and the UN itself said in Res. 1441 that the Security Council "will remain seized of the matter." That does not translate in any language to "Bombs Away!"
Here:

60 Minutes Report: Saddam Let The World Think He Had WMD

I was wrong about the UN approving the initial attack, though they did believe that Saddam was hiding WMDs even after their inspectors didn't find any.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
When the Israelis played coy about their nuclear stockpile, we called it "strategic ambiguity" and found it utterly forgivable. But the notion that Saddam was issuing direct threats to Kuwait or Israel in 2003 is rather silly.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
When the Israelis played coy about their nuclear stockpile, we called it "strategic ambiguity" and found it utterly forgivable. But the notion that Saddam was issuing direct threats to Kuwait or Israel in 2003 is rather silly.
Israel is a free and civilized nation, Iraq was ran by a brutal war-lord tyrant who killed civilians and tested chemical weapons on them (Agent Orange is a chemical weapon). Two completely different things, I find it insulting and disingenuous that you would even try to compare a Civilized Democracy such as Israel to a backwards and barbaric Tyrannical country such as Iraq.

What's your beef with Israel anyway? Why did you even bring them up? Is there an underlying personal agenda here?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
There were terrorist camps in the Kurdish provinces, which you may recall were not under Iraqi control after 1991.

The first Gulf War was unjustified.

Aside from the Barbary pirates, the United States had zero troubles with Arab states prior to 1948. That's 132 years of peace. What changed?

Tell THAT to Kuwait, Saudi and many other countries that nailing Saddam in 1991 was a bad move. Sheesh!

1948: after WW 2 there was a need to make things right with the Jews so Israel was set up. IMHO I just can't believe how weak in their heard and heart so many Middle East people are; instead of fixing up their land after being set free by England, so many of their kind STILL complain about tiny Israel and the US.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:43 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
FYI, there's nothing in the Tea Party tenets that supports the OPs contention.
Tea Party Movement Platform

Old 06-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Israel is a free and civilized nation, Iraq was ran by a brutal war-lord tyrant who killed civilians and tested chemical weapons on them (Agent Orange is a chemical weapon). Two completely different things, I find it insulting and disingenuous that you would even try to compare a Civilized Democracy such as Israel to a backwards and barbaric Tyrannical country such as Iraq.
1. "Free and civilized" is a matter of perspective.
2. Israel, and its antecedent forces, killed civilians from 1946 onwards; King David Hotel, Deir Yassin, Qibya, Kafr Qasem, Dawayima, Qana, and the saturation bombing of Beirut in 1982 that first inspired 9/11.
3. I don't know about CW tests on civilians, I know Iraq tested CW/BW on prisoners of war and used CW on civilians (albeit civilians in a war zone occupied by armed revolutionary forces), but I find the difference between that and burning civilians to death in bombing raids to be a distinction without a difference in any event.

Quote:
What's your beef with Israel anyway? Why did you even bring them up? Is there an underlying personal agenda here?
Nothing underlying or personal; I have a totally above-board and avowed contempt for Israel, for the tremendous geographical, moral, diplomatic and humanitarian blunder that created it, and for the U.S. politicians who support it. I've been posting here since 2007 so I'm not sure how anyone could've been in the dark on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies