Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:04 PM

675 posts, read 543,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I think most people have a fundamental misunderstanding of the why these governments are the way they are.

The problem with the Middle-East is a few things.

First, you have all these artificial countries with borders that make absolutely no sense. I have to scratch my head wondering why in the hell a country like Iraq is split into basically Kurdistan in the north. Sunniville in the West, and Shiiastan in the south.

They throw these three ethnic groups together in the same country, turn it into a democracy. Pretending as if Democracy somehow makes any sense whatsoever in such an ethnically divided country. Then the largest ethnic group ends up in power, and effectively dominates everyone else. And then no one seems to understand why the minority groups are trying to overthrow the government?

The problem could easily be solved, but no one wants to do the right thing because it doesn't make much sense geopolitically. Basically, we can't support the Kurds breaking off, because then the Kurds in Iran and Turkey will want to break off. And Turkey is our ally. And there is no possibility of an amicable split for the Shiites and Sunni's, especially with all that oil under their feet.

What really needs to happen is all of the countries in the Middle-East need to be broken up into a bunch of smaller countries which more accurately reflect their ethnic makeup. If Iraq was nothing but Sunni's, we wouldn't be having this problem.

The other solution would be to severally weaken the central government to the point of basically being a 1791 libertarian-style American federalized Republic. Then at least people won't feel that they are being subjugated by the central government. But that will be impossible considering the oil in the Middle-East is nationalized.

These illogical borders necessarily create illegitimate governments. And the minorities become increasingly hostile because they feel like they are effectively conquered people. The most disgruntled end up joining with either Islamic fundamentalists, or ethnic nationalists in an attempt to overthrow the regime. Resorting to horrible violence, such as terrorism, because they are so desperate and see no other alternative to end their subjugation.

Which becomes the major problem with these kinds of revolutions. When the smoke clears, the most radical faction usually ends up in power. In the case of Iraq, had there been more reasonable borders and a more reasonable government to begin with. It is highly highly highly unlikely that ISIS would be marching across Iraq right now.

The reason why radicals end up taking over, is that radicals are really the only ones who actually want to fight. Or at least, they are the ones most willing to fight. The vast majority of people are moderates who don't care to get involved. If you begin to radicalize a population through desperation, you end up with a lot more radicals.

But it gets even worse. The radicals, even though they are a tiny minority, are so willing to fight and die, that the soldiers of the regime, which is normally made up by mostly moderates who largely just enlist for a paycheck, are many times unwilling to even fight. So these Middle-East regimes, unwilling to fight, and terrified of the prospect of the collapse of their own governments, which was an inevitable outcome of their unfair policies. Ask for help from other countries like the United States. So then the United States begins killing large numbers of radicals who were to some extent, rightfully trying to overthrow an illegitimate regime which couldn't defend itself from even a relatively tiny number of insurgents. And then we don't understand why the killing and occupation of these countries by the USA, infuriates and radicalizes these people even more.

If for once we could devise a fair policy, even if it means helping to carve up the entire Middle-East and pissing off our allies(who are in the wrong). Maybe we could avoid this perpetual violence.

To an extent, the Middle-East of today is basically like the ethno-nationalistic Europe of the late 1800's and early 1900's. It really wasn't until after WWII, when the borders of Europe actually began to make sense ethnically. That things calmed down.

If Israel wasn't there(an effect of colonialism and Zionism), if the United States didn't always get involved in affairs of other countries, and if the borders made more sense. I think the Middle-East would be just fine.
Redefining the borders could be a viable option. Only problem is people will not want to give up the valuable land (oil). Breaking Iraq up into 3 separate countries would be interesting to say the least.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
As we all know, the ME is a breeding ground for civil unrest and violence. You have political and ethnic groups in all out war reigning terror on the normal populace.

So my question is, what is the best method to bring peace, freedom, and prosperity to the region?

P.S. Not interested in the "there is no hope for the ME" or "nothing can be done" comments.

Looking for real logical plausible solutions to the ME conflict.
They want nukes; give it to them in the form of a mushroom cloud.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the only reason why some women are ok with their roles is because they are not being educated to know any better. as was mentioned before this is about religion and faith. if your faith tells you women are 2nd and 3rd class citizens that's how it will remain.

you ok with the elections in Egypt?
The why is irrelevant imo. The point is they would be fine with it ie no problem.

No I am not ok with the Egyptian elections. The Egyptians carried out the election with only selected international observers who said that the elections fell short of "standards of democracy".

Old 06-14-2014, 01:43 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Redefining the borders could be a viable option. Only problem is people will not want to give up the valuable land (oil). Breaking Iraq up into 3 separate countries would be interesting to say the least.
In all honesty, it should have been done a long time ago. For that matter, Chechnya needs to be let go of Russia as well.

I always find it kind of ironic. The argument for why these countries can't be broken up, or that regions can't be let go, is that there are extremists there that might take over. Always ignoring the fact that the extremists are there because they aren't being let go to begin with.

It always reminds me of how you have all these American supremacist types who like to look down their nose at the rest of the world and say how evil all these other countries are. Seem to forget that America is also full of crazies. And if Americans were put in the same position as these other countries, you would be amazed at how crazy they might become.

To put it in perspective, they need to listen to Ron Paul speech "Imagine".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKBDHWDgBo

I just feel like the recipe for peace is independence. But Americans rarely support independence.

I just wish Americans were more about doing the right thing, or supporting the right thing. They either don't care, or they simply bow to corporations who effectively run our foreign policy for the sake of American economic interests.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
As we all know, the ME is a breeding ground for civil unrest and violence. You have political and ethnic groups in all out war reigning terror on the normal populace.

So my question is, what is the best method to bring peace, freedom, and prosperity to the region?

P.S. Not interested in the "there is no hope for the ME" or "nothing can be done" comments.

Looking for real logical plausible solutions to the ME conflict.
Contain it and it's problems to it's current borders. Stop the Muslim expansionism. Bomb the hell out of them when they do something bad, and stop them from leaving to come here or anywhere else. They have enough territory to control now in the world.

And as far as oil -- if Muslims were contained in their own countries, their out-of-control reproductive rates means they have to sell oil just to try and stay even.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:10 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
What do you all suppose is going to happen when they pump out all the easily available oil? How will these radicalized societies support themselves let alone a pack of foreign stockholders after the cheap oil is gone? You think they are radical now? Just wait until mass starvation sets in.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Give Israel more money and weapons so that they can defend their women and children from terrorist rockets funded by Hamas and sent over the Gaza border.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Leave them to their own devices and let the chips fall where they fall.

I'm not interested in a solution. I just want us to stop meddling.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Give Israel more money and weapons so that they can defend their women and children from terrorist rockets funded by Hamas and sent over the Gaza border.
From your check, not mine.

I don't owe Israel ( or any other nation) a damn dime. If they need more weapons, they need to raise taxes.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Leave them to their own devices and let the chips fall where they fall.

I'm not interested in a solution. I just want us to stop meddling.
I bet all the millions of terrified displaced families in Syria love that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies