Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Leave them to their own devices and let the chips fall where they fall.

I'm not interested in a solution. I just want us to stop meddling.

"Grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

Most of the historical U.S. interference has nothing to do with freeing people and changing cultures. It has all to do with advancing the interests of select sectors, certain corporations within the defense industry, a bone to those Christians that wait for the second coming and goosing the economy with accepted deficit spending.

Iraq is the $Trillion War, not including the ongoing cost of VA and disability, that will persist for serious decades into the future. No one can account for the money that has been spent, regardless of who sat/sits the oval or held/holds the majority.

I trend neutral on the Paul father and son, with the exception of their positions on the beneficiaries of U.S. interference.

WATCH: Rand Paul Says Dick Cheney Pushed for the Iraq War So Halliburton Would Profit | Mother Jones

Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
From your check, not mine.

I don't owe Israel ( or any other nation) a damn dime. If they need more weapons, they need to raise taxes.
When you can dictate that only Harrier funds the aid and not you, then you will have a valid argument.

Harrier funds gay marriage licenses here in California - and that is only because an openly gay judge forced his decision on the people of California, who twice clearly upheld marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

Are you ready to say that Harrier should choose that his tax dollars not fund such a travesty?

Old 06-14-2014, 08:24 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
You reading comprehension?

I said that they vote / choose whatever government or democracy they want.
egypt did vote and elected their government. you said you did not like their elections as it wasn't democratic enough.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:31 PM

122 posts, read 98,699 times
My solution for the ME...is to follow China's solution, if you want a comment okay, we will send over a retired diplomat to talk to you.

Last edited by Drew K; 06-14-2014 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i really think they want to live in cavemen days, they want to kill each other. they don't want anything to do with society. so I say let them kill each other

Old 06-15-2014, 12:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
I bet all the millions of terrified displaced families in Syria love that option.
Too bad, but that's their plight, not mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
When you can dictate that only Harrier funds the aid and not you, then you will have a valid argument.

Harrier funds gay marriage licenses here in California - and that is only because an openly gay judge forced his decision on the people of California, who twice clearly upheld marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

Are you ready to say that Harrier should choose that his tax dollars not fund such a travesty?
You're funding licenses in America for Americans.

That ain't got squat to do with me sending my tax money to Israel to purchase weapons.

If Israel needs weaponry, they can buy it from us at market prices. I don't wanna GIVE them anything. Not even a single bullet.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:36 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Peace is a desire that must come from within.

I don't think anyone can teach or force anyone to want peace in their lives. In my opinion the issues that prevent peace in the Middle East are too complex for us to understand.

I am not saying that I don't want peace for people in the Middle East, I'm just saying that they have to want it for themselves.
Look, they want peace. It is really ignorant for you to believe they don't want peace. It would be like saying that George Washington or Thomas Jefferson didn't want peace because they didn't just roll over and let Britain rule them.

The problem isn't that they don't want peace. The problem is that, powerful men and their political and economic aspirations are leaving those countries in ruin.

It is thus "power" which has corrupted and destroyed, just as power always does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i really think they want to live in cavemen days, they want to kill each other. they don't want anything to do with society. so I say let them kill each other
You just don't understand what is going on.

First, there isn't much of a difference between what is going on in the Middle-East today, and what had been going on in Europe all the way up to World War two. And to some extent, was still happening in parts of Europe through the end of the Cold War. Or for that matter, is still happening in parts of Europe today(Ukraine).

The problem in the Middle-East is that, the borders of those countries don't make any sense. And you have governments which are ethnocentric and exclusive. All trying to dominate a massive bounty of natural resources. Each refusing to give anything up to the others.

Imagine a United States that was 1/3rd Muslim, 1/3rd Christian, and 1/3rd Jewish. And the wealth of the nation was almost entirely derived from nationalized oil and gas. Do you really think we would all be sharing all nicey nice?

Either the Middle-East needs more decentralizing, or it needs more secession. And we need to get the hell out.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
I don't owe Israel ( or any other nation) a damn dime. If they need more weapons, they need to raise taxes.
Which they do (NIS to Dollars is about 4:1 (100 NIS is $25))

Your taxes: Tax rates for 2014 | JPost | Israel News

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-15-2014 at 02:22 AM..

Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 AM

675 posts, read 544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
egypt did vote and elected their government. you said you did not like their elections as it wasn't democratic enough.
What is your point? I specifically said

Election carried out by numerous nations in a joint 110% transparent open documented manner that met international standards.

Egypt did neither.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:19 AM

675 posts, read 544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Look, they want peace. It is really ignorant for you to believe they don't want peace. It would be like saying that George Washington or Thomas Jefferson didn't want peace because they didn't just roll over and let Britain rule them.

The problem isn't that they don't want peace. The problem is that, powerful men and their political and economic aspirations are leaving those countries in ruin.

It is thus "power" which has corrupted and destroyed, just as power always does.

You just don't understand what is going on.

First, there isn't much of a difference between what is going on in the Middle-East today, and what had been going on in Europe all the way up to World War two. And to some extent, was still happening in parts of Europe through the end of the Cold War. Or for that matter, is still happening in parts of Europe today(Ukraine).

The problem in the Middle-East is that, the borders of those countries don't make any sense. And you have governments which are ethnocentric and exclusive. All trying to dominate a massive bounty of natural resources. Each refusing to give anything up to the others.

Imagine a United States that was 1/3rd Muslim, 1/3rd Christian, and 1/3rd Jewish. And the wealth of the nation was almost entirely derived from nationalized oil and gas. Do you really think we would all be sharing all nicey nice?

Either the Middle-East needs more decentralizing, or it needs more secession. And we need to get the hell out.
Good post. I agree with everything except the last sentence

These people (the majority / normal populace) want peace just like any other person in the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies