Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 02:51 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Good God.

Adding. Fine, let's have the PP clinics that provide abortion services provide them for free. Happy now?
And while we're at it......all of those who are involved in the adoption process should donate their services for free.....then adoption wouldn't be so expensive.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:53 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I was happy before. You're the one who can't distinguish between making money and making profit, not me.
I guess I equal "making money" with making a profit, like most Americans.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Sorry, even sterilization has been known to fail, and that doesn't mean a woman should have to endure an unwanted pregnancy that could cause life long medical problems or even death.

BTW, how many men do you think would stay with a woman who refused to copulate because she didn't want to risk pregnancy?
The operative word there being "could". You could also drown in your bathtub. You could get hit by a bus. You could trip and break your neck. Sorry that life isn't risk-free.

The fact is that health concerns are the motivation of only a very very tiny fraction of abortions, but liberals always always seem to bring them up as the reason for allowing unrestricted elective abortion. It's intellectually dishonest.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:58 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And while we're at it......all of those who are involved in the adoption process should donate their services for free.....then adoption wouldn't be so expensive.
Yes, the lawyers, the agencies...only because we approve of what they're spending their time and energy on.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:19 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Feminists claim to care about women, they claim to care about ALL women's rights and well-being, often times at the expense of men, but yet they support abortion. How can you truly care about women's rights if you support the violation of the Right to Life of other women?
When did a fetus become "women"?

Old 06-26-2014, 03:23 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
The operative word there being "could". You could also drown in your bathtub. You could get hit by a bus. You could trip and break your neck. Sorry that life isn't risk-free.

The fact is that health concerns are the motivation of only a very very tiny fraction of abortions, but liberals always always seem to bring them up as the reason for allowing unrestricted elective abortion. It's intellectually dishonest.
Fact is, carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth changes a woman's body forever, and not in a good way. It also risks her long term health and her very life. It is not up to you to decide for her if she should take that risk, anymore than my deciding you should take an unnecessary risk with your life.

And........a woman doesn't owe you an explanation for why she decides to abort. Whether it is health concerns, education concerns, job concerns, financial concerns or the fact that she doesn't want to endure pregnancy and childbirth. Not your life, not your body, not your choice, none of your business.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
For those of us in that "tiny fraction" of abortions -- which really isn't so tiny BTW -- how are we guaranteed the option of bringing pregnancy to an end in a safe way? Because the anti-choice movement has made it VERY difficult for physicians to receive abortion training and for hospitals to provide abortion care, something I experienced firsthand. Sixteen years ago, when I received a devastating prenatal diagnosis at a 20-week ultrasound, it was only due to my family's connections (father is a doctor) that I knew where to go for help. My perinatalogist, who along with the consulting pediatric neurologist, agreed with my decision to terminate, would have lost his privileges at the only hospital in town had he performed my abortion. And I did not live out in the middle of nowhere. This was a medium-sized city with a Level I trauma center! Fortunately, there was a university hospital three hours away where I received excellent care. But what about other women who aren't as well connected as I am? What do they do? It shouldn't be this hard.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-26-2014 at 07:06 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,713,884 times
Thank you for sharing your story, randomparent.

It puts the whole 'no abortion ever' argument into perspective. And shoots a big hole in the 'only promiscuous women need abortion' myth.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:47 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
They are of the belief that if abortion isn't around then people will simply have more responsible sex, no sex, or just marry for the sake of the child. That's why they never have any plans put out because they believe the reality you talk about would not take place. Of course the reality and the conservative based fantasy are 2 different things altogether.
Actually, that's the way it was for hundreds of generations, so why do you think it's impossible? If there are real consequences to having unprotected sex, then maybe people would become more responsible about it. It's not like women and men don't have options these days to prevent pregnancy like in the old days. If it's just casual sex, use protection. They should be anyway considering all the sexually transmitted diseases out there.

And if it's more than casual sex and someone gets pregnant, then what's wrong with getting married for the sake of the child? It creates a relationship between the parents and child that one could never get with a possession order (1st, 3rd, and 5th weekends, every other holiday, summers, etc.). Even if that marriage eventually ends in divorce, there is a parental bond there that would not have been as strong without those months or years of living with the child.

I'm not saying outlaw abortion completely, but I do wish we still had the above mindset with the added benefit of birth control availability. The way people are these days with having babies without ever getting married - the Baby Mamas and Baby Daddies mindset - is so bad for the kids and society as a whole.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Thank you for sharing your story, randomparent.

It puts the whole 'no abortion ever' argument into perspective. And shoots a big hole in the 'only promiscuous women need abortion' myth.
My story is always treated as the great exception and discounted or completely ignored, but I am not that unusual. The night of my abortion, there were two women in L&D terminating for prenatal diagnosis. The hospital chaplain spent the entire night traveling between our rooms providing solace and comfort. It was a difficult time, but I was treated with respect and compassion by the entire L&D staff, and I received excellent medical care. Unfortunately, this kind of care is increasingly inaccessible, in no small part due to anti-choicers who strong-arm our medical professionals and hospitals into denying abortion services, because rabid pro-lifers see everything in black & white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.