Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,916 times

Advertisements

Just take a page from the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, which is....

Quote:
Dedicated to protecting Earth’s last wild places and implementing solutions that create a harmonious relationship between humanity and the natural world.

Since 1998, the Foundation has been working on pressing environmental and humanitarian issues through grant making, campaigning and media projects. Areas of focus include; land, oceans and species conservation, climate change and disaster relief. The Foundation’s strategic approach to philanthropy for a better planet relies upon active collaboration with effective organizations as well as with other funders who share our goals and can magnify our impact.
webcontent - Item

Then disregard all that and do this:

Leonardo DiCaprio borrows superyacht to treat his pals to World Cup in style | Mail Online

Quote:
Hollywood superstar Leonardo DiCaprio has taken over one of the world's largest superyachts in order to watch the World Cup in style.

DiCaprio and more than 20 friends are said to have taken over the 482-foot Topaz, worth £400million, while staying in Brazil for the football tournament.

The yacht is owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emitates and owner of Manchester City FC.
Nothing says "I'm fighting anthropogenic climate change" like paying a guy who's entire national economy is based on fossil fuels to rent a giant boat that burns through about 132 gallons of diesel an hour*

Remember the creed of those enlightened progressive souls who care®: do as I say, not as I do.

*The High Cost of Keeping a Super Yacht - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 12:25 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
It's not much different that what President Obama does.

He uses an ENORMOUS amount of natural resources so he can go sit on a specific beach in Hawaii each year.

They fly over on the 747 with the backup 747 as well. They use a minimum of three heavy lift jets. They use two to three jets for support personnel and advance work.

Think about that. He uses a minimum of seven large jets so that he and his family can go to Hawaii.

What does that say?

I think it either says he doesn't believe in things like climate change or that he is superior to regular people and has the absolute right to pollute at such levels to feed his ego.

Which do you think it is?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
This is how true environmentalists do it.

Rupert Murdoch to sell his yacht for $29.7 million - NBC News

Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
I thank Leo for helping the dividends of my oil stocks.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:22 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Pretty much irrelevant. If Leo don't burn it, someone in China or India will. It's kind of like the whole coal thing. People clap each other on the back about tightening down on coal here in the US as if that's going to make it stay in the ground. In reality, Europe and Asia can't get enough US coal.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:23 AM

16,552 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post

Remember the creed of those enlightened progressive souls who care®: do as I say, not as I do.

What makes you think Sheryl Crow does not only use one square of tissue paper per trip to the bathroom?

`

Old 06-20-2014, 04:59 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
Celebrities (like Leo) don't do these "liberal guilt things" to do good. They do it for the tax deductions. They are good actors and make it look like a serious effort to "feed the children" or "fix global warming".

Old 06-22-2014, 01:27 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Just take a page from the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, which is....

webcontent - Item

Then disregard all that and do this:

Leonardo DiCaprio borrows superyacht to treat his pals to World Cup in style | Mail Online

Nothing says "I'm fighting anthropogenic climate change" like paying a guy who's entire national economy is based on fossil fuels to rent a giant boat that burns through about 132 gallons of diesel an hour*

*The High Cost of Keeping a Super Yacht - WSJ
Reminds me of one of the Kennedy's, I don't recall which one, on some TV talk show going on and on about "saving" the environment and was asked by the host, " How did you get here from Mass?"

The host already knew the answer. The Kennedy had flown on a private charter jet, then rode in a private limo from the airport to the TV station.

Typical of the "Do as I say not, as I do" crowd.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Along with about every single environmental related proposal has to to with increasing the cost of something.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:19 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
I have been stockpiling coats and space heaters for when they change their minds again and go back to Global Cooling as their latest and greatest world disaster like they did in the 70's. That way I can get all the grant money on how to make a fluffy, warm coat out of recycled Prius's that won't be needed anymore due to all of our fossil fuel being used to heat homes during the next ice age. I just hope they funnel hundred's of millions to me, I bet if I make a movie about it I can get rich! Oh wait, they already made that movie.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies