Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should black americans be given reparations?
Yes 6 3.85%
No 150 96.15%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:44 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPrevails View Post
As a Black person I do not want fake apologies from other racial groups who refuse to see the unjust system of White Supremacy and how it affects Blacks in this country, the past and present. This country as a whole can see injustice to other groups but to Blacks - cold. I understand why. The true history of this country explains why. I expected the responses to this thread, especially for this sub-forum. I just peeked in to see if I would be wrong. I want the system to change than a fake apology.
The very reason slavery was abolished and black people now have the same legal rights as white people, was that the vast majority of us do see White Supremacy as unjust. That we don't apologize for something we didn't do means nothing but makes perfect sense.

And we all want the system to change. Doesn't make a single one of us special.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
The U.S. missed the chance to be responsible as a nation. Even now, the history books give an extremely poor account of the history of African-Americans.

There were never reparations to Americans of African descent and every single time your post and any other refers to them as "blacks," it should be a clear reminder of just how much damage was done.

Why? Because there were NO "blacks" before slavery.

The statement that "blacks" had a chance to go back to Africa sounds so incredibly foolish. It shows how seeped in racial ideology Americans (and some others) truly are. Just because Europeans came up with idiotic, small-minded racial terms doesn't mean they apply.

Newsflash: Prior to Europeans, there were no "blacks" in Africa and really there aren't any today. There are Igbo, Yoruba, Akan, Ashanti, Ibibio, Hausa, Bikongo etc.

So unless someone could have told them which ethnic group they belong to, the "chance to go back to Africa" means nothing. Goodness, do people know absolutely nothing?

Africans became "black" or "colored" due to slavery. Their cultural identities, languages, names, religions etc were virtually completely LOST in the U.S. They hold European names, often slavemaster names as opposed to ethnic ones. So where in "Africa" were they supposed to go with a European name and language?

At one point, 70% of the slaves in Virginia were Igbo. Where is their language? Where is the Igbo identity? Where are the Igbo names? GONE. Thanks to slavemasters beating them out of Igbo people. The same goes for all the other ethnic groups. And now people call them "blacks" as though that is normal.

Such an uninformed post yet people find it acceptable. But it shows the effects of slavery and the continued ignorance as a result.

So blame the Europeans and European-Americans for what your family "paid." Thank them for the hundreds of years of affirmative action given to "whites," instead of complaining about a few social programs that benefit more "whites" than anything.

African-Americans will never stop bearing the effects of slavery unless what was lost can be regained.

Just in case people ever wonder why foreigners/recent Americans of African descent may cling very strongly to their identities...it should be clear.
I thought we were all suppose to be Americans, not Igbo.

One can always go back and become a citizen of Africa if they don't want to be an American. We all have the choice to go back to our native land if it is all that important to someone. Your own people sold you to the slave merchants.. are you angry at them too?

Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I thought we were all suppose to be Americans, not Igbo.

One can always go back and become a citizen of Africa if they don't want to be an American. We all have the choice to go back to our native land if it is all that important to someone. Your own people sold you to the slave merchants.. are you angry at them too?
Excuse me? The United States is my native country, just as it is for many, many people whose skin is quite a bit darker than mine. The ignorance displayed in the above post is mind-boggling.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPrevails View Post
As a Black person I do not want fake apologies from other racial groups who refuse to see the unjust system of White Supremacy and how it affects Blacks in this country, the past and present. This country as a whole can see injustice to other groups but to Blacks - cold. I understand why. The true history of this country explains why. I expected the responses to this thread, especially for this sub-forum. I just peeked in to see if I would be wrong. I want the system to change than a fake apology.
It is not white supremacy... it is power supremacy. You think that white people don't feel oppressed by other rich whites or blacks?.. walk in the shoes of a poor white person.. maybe if you did, you would see oppression comes to the powerless and poor.

I have no apologies to give to anyone black, but I will say, I have lived a life where some blacks have attacked me for no reason, oppressed me when they could and also have known the most wonderful black people that could be on the face of this earth.. we are all individuals and I don't lump anyone in the same category such as- if you are white you need to apologize for a white person enslaving another black person. And many black people do not resent whites or blame them for slavery. They got past that and have matured in their thinking.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:04 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Whites living today don't need to be apologizing to black people for anything except if they maintain the same bigot-elitist mentality that lead to slavery in the first place. And no black people born in the US need to go anywhere else, any more than whites should be going back to Europe, where they also were not born.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Excuse me? The United States is my native country, just as it is for many, many people whose skin is quite a bit darker than mine. The ignorance displayed in the above post is mind-boggling.
The poster was offended by American culture... did you read that part of what I was answering?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Whites living today don't need to be apologizing to black people for anything except if they maintain the same bigot-elitist mentality that lead to slavery in the first place. And no black people born in the US need to go anywhere else, any more than whites should be going back to Europe, where they also were not born.
You don't get it..many miss their native country and do go back.. French , Italian, Polish, Jewish,Indian, Iranian etc. And they were born here.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Nobody can be this stupid Where's the mods? Trolling is against the tos
I was just about to say: how many ways can you spell the word TROLL? and this isn't his first time!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No-

I have never owned slaves. My ancestors fought and died to free the slaves- the descendents of slaves owe me, not the other way around.

I am sure that if my ancestors knew that freed slaves would demand reparations in the future, they would have turned their guns against the Union, rather than fighting in Grant and Sherman's army. The western boys were the ones who won the Civil War, as the eastern campaigns were essentially a losing/stalemate until Sherman and Grant began winning in the west and invading the south.

Do all of the descendents of white indentured servants need reparations? Should the progeny of black slave owners pay reparations? Should blacks who have received welfare and governmental support have to pay back all of that support (if so, they would probably OWE MONEY when balanced toward "reparations").

PS- The nation is broke- we are $17.5 trillion in debt- the last thing we need is another money wasting scam.

You may have never owned slaves, but you still benefit from racism and the inserapable ideology of white supremacy.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
You may have never owned slaves, but you still benefit from racism and the inserapable ideology of white supremacy.
That is an assumption on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies