Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 07:14 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I have read that not only have the Koch brothers spent 70 million dollars to spread disinformation on climate change, but have also spent a considerable amount of money to get state legislators and state regulators to tax homeowners who use solar and other alternative energy. The Koch brothers and I am sure many other old line energy companies are doing all in their power to frustrate the growth of the alternative energy business not by good old market means but government policy.

Free enterprise and the marketplace for conservatives is apparently good for the other guy. When it comes to their enterprises, any government assistance would be appreciated.
And where did you "read" this nugget of crap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 07:17 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, we all know that. Meanwhile, working class Americans help pay for solar panels on rich peoples houses.

And the hypocritical Dems support the raping of the working class.
All energy sources are paid by "working class Americans". Spare me you partisan crap and ignorance.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
But but but the rich people are the job creators. Green jobs! Have you abandoned your partisan conservative ideology or just temporarily suspended them to take a jab at green energy.
So you support wealth transfer from the working class to the elite? I thought so. Your hipocritical partisan Dem ideology is quite obvious.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
All energy sources are paid by "working class Americans". Spare me you partisan crap and ignorance.
Only green energy benefits the rich at the expense of the workers. Spare me your partisan crap and ignorance.

I see you still support raping workers so the rich can have their solar panels. When is the last time you saw a solar panel on the roof of a trailer?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:

If you'd stop ignoring the graphs I've posted twice, you'll notice that the cost has halved in 15 years.
Do you see the precipitous drop in 2009? That isn't becsue they halved the price since 2008.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
So you support wealth transfer from the working class to the elite? I thought so. Your hipocritical partisan Dem ideology is quite obvious.
Blah blah. So youre still having nothing but partisan dribble and no facts.

[quote=Roadking2003;35299705]Only green energy benefits the rich at the expense of the workers. Spare me your partisan crap and ignorance.

Quote:
I see you still support raping workers so the rich can have their solar panels. When is the last time you saw a solar panel on the roof of a trailer?
Most solar is being installed on a large industrial scale. Like I said, ignorance.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:08 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
On a recent Sunday Germany got 74% of its energy needs from solar and wind power.

Germany is doing a "Energiewende", or energy transformation, which aims to power the country almost entirely on renewable sources by 2050.

Germany Sets New Record, Generating 74 Percent Of Power Needs From Renewable Energy | ThinkProgress

Maybe you want to take note of what Germany is doing now that they realized their mistakes regarding renewables....

Coal Use In Germany On The Rise As Country Seeks To Quit Nuclear Power

Germany To Open Six More Coal Power Stations In 2013 | Watts Up With That?

Germany’s dash for coal continues apace. Following on the opening of two new coal power stations in 2012, six more are due to open this year, with a combined capacity of 5800MW, enough to provide 7% of Germany’s electricity needs.

Researchers Alarmed at Rise in German Brown Coal Power Output - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Part of the reason, said Diekmann, is the low price of CO2 emissions permits in EU trading scheme. Another reason is that new brown coal plants, with a capacity of 2,743 megawatts, came on line in 2012, far exceeding the 1,321 megawatts from old plants shut down that year

Old 06-19-2014, 08:14 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
Quote:
And where did you "read" this nugget of crap?
Ask and you shall receive:

The Turning Point: New Hope for the Climate | Politics News | Rolling Stone

Quote:

The utilities are fighting back, of course, by using their wealth and the entrenched political power they have built up over the past century. In the United States, brothers Charles and David Koch, who run Koch Industries, the second-largest privately owned corporation in the U.S., have secretively donated at least $70 million to a number of opaque political organizations tasked with spreading disinformation about the climate crisis and intimidating political candidates who dare to support renewable energy or the pricing of carbon pollution.
A Call to Arms: An invitation to Demand Action on Climate Change
They regularly repeat shopworn complaints about the inadequate, intermittent and inconsistent subsidies that some governments have used in an effort to speed up the deployment of renewables, while ignoring the fact that global subsidies for carbon-based energy are 25 times larger than global subsidies for renewables.
One of the most effective of the groups financed by the Koch brothers and other carbon polluters is the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC, which grooms conservative state legislators throughout the country to act as their agents in introducing legislation written by utilities and carbon-fuel lobbyists in a desperate effort to slow, if not stop, the transition to renewable energy.
The Kochs claim to act on principles of low taxation and minimal regulation, but in their attempts to choke the development of alternative energy, they have induced the recipients of their generous campaign contributions to contradict these supposedly bedrock values, pushing legislative and regulatory measures in 34 states to discourage solar, or encourage carbon energy, or both. The most controversial of their initiatives is focused on persuading state legislatures and public-utility commissions to tax homeowners who install a PV solar cell on their roofs, and to manipulate the byzantine utility laws and regulations to penalize renewable energy in a variety of novel schemes.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...#ixzz355vTjXQk
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Old 06-19-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Don't be dumb. No one is suggesting renewables replace, 100%, our electricity demands.

Don't be dumb. We are undergoing a natural gas renaissance and have built natural gas fired power plants in response.

Don't be dumb.
You know natural gas is a fossil fuel...

Old 06-19-2014, 08:27 AM

[quote=dv1033;35289363]If you read the article then you'd see how electric utilities just got their utility bonds downgraded by a major investment banking group due to increased competition from solar. What you refuse to acknowledge is already happening.

Not mine.........

https://www.moodys.com/research/MOOD...--NIR_16656579
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies