Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 AM

401 posts, read 649,406 times

Advertisements

Football is boring when the teams are weak. MLS games are crap because all the good players are in Europe. Watch the UEFA Champions League games and you'll see, it is almost a different sport.
World Cup games are at a lower level than Champions league games but they are more exciting because it is a competition between nations. That USA-Ghana game was boring and the teams played low-level football.
By comparison, the Netherlands-Spain game was MUCH more entertaining. Italy vs England was a great game too.

If Americans only watch USMNT games and MLS games I can understand why they find it boring. But even a game boring 95% of the time like USA vs Ghana can bring a lot of excitement as you can see on the video. That's the power of football (I won't call it by the s word, sorry)

Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Just want to point out that Major League Soccer out draws the NHL and NBA on per game average attendance. Of course much of this is due to lower ticket prices. A cheap night out with the family.

In 2012 the average attendance for an MLS game was 18,807. The NHL was 17,477 and NBA 17,274.

Major League Soccer attendance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
The changing demographics of America folks.

You were told this was going to happen.
Soccer is a global sport befitting of a global society.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Football is boring when the teams are weak. MLS games are crap because all the good players are in Europe. Watch the UEFA Champions League games and you'll see, it is almost a different sport.
World Cup games are at a lower level than Champions league games but they are more exciting because it is a competition between nations. That USA-Ghana game was boring and the teams played low-level football.
By comparison, the Netherlands-Spain game was MUCH more entertaining. Italy vs England was a great game too.

If Americans only watch USMNT games and MLS games I can understand why they find it boring. But even a game boring 95% of the time like USA vs Ghana can bring a lot of excitement as you can see on the video. That's the power of football (I won't call it by the s word, sorry)
The Brazil vs Mexico match was the best.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How is football any better than soccer? Football is a sport that is in constant stop-motion. If the closet homosexuals not slapping each other on the ass between plays, then they're standing around huddled together. At least in soccer the ball is in motion more than half of the game.

In average a football game (At least what is played by most of the World not some perverse off spring of Rugby) a player runs 8 kilometers or about 4 miles in 90 minutes. A FIFA football player in Brazil is doing this in a largely tropical nation, where it is in the mid 80 deg F at game time in the early evening or night. The game requires great conditioning and stamina to play at the championship international level.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Just want to point out that Major League Soccer out draws the NHL and NBA on per game average attendance. Of course much of this is due to lower ticket prices. A cheap night out with the family.

In 2012 the average attendance for an MLS game was 18,807. The NHL was 17,477 and NBA 17,274.

Major League Soccer attendance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh wow, I didn't realize the NBA and NHL had such low attendances, but good for MLS. They have been great at being selective with their markets.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How is football any better than soccer? Football is a sport that is in constant stop-motion. If the closet homosexuals not slapping each other on the ass between plays, then they're standing around huddled together. At least in soccer the ball is in motion more than half of the game.
Which is why I like Lacrosse. Lots of scoring, plenty of action and very little "stop" time.

It is, and has been, the fastest growing sport for YEARS.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,162,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Soccer is not relaly popular here in the U.S. because there are other sports..more interesting sports...

What do the other countires have...soccer...that's why they are so behind soccer...that's about all they have...
Other countries have other sports, in Britain Rugby Union and Rugby League are very popular with international competitions such as the 6 Nations and Heineken Cup, Cricket is also popular in England especially International Test Matches and the Ashes,, Golf is also popular in terms of the The Open Championship, Ryder Cup and other major competitions, Tennis is popular with Wimbledon only a few weeks away, Formula 1 (Silverstone) and many other Motor Sports are popular, athletics is also popular with the 2012 Summer Olympics in London being very successful and the Commonwealth Games due to be hosted in Glasgow later this year. Horse Racing is popular with lots of very famous meeting and trophies, whilst in terms of indoor sports both snooker and darts are very popular, whilst Boxing is also very popular.

BBC Sport - Sport

There are also regular US NFL Football Games held in London and there is now talk of a permanent London Franchise.

NFL: Atlanta Falcons owner backs future NFL team in London | Sky Sports

In terms of our own brand of football (soccer) we have a host of domestic matches and leagues including the Premiership as well as a host of major clubs, and as well as the domestic game we also participate in the UEFA Champions League (European Cup) and UEFA Europa League (UEFA Cup) at club level and at national levels we compete at both the World Cup and UEFA European Championship.

Last edited by Bamford; 06-18-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 09:56 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Demographics changing? Maybe via illegal immigration but we need to get a handle on that problem. I don't see soccer ever replacing football in popularity. It's as American as apple pie and hot dogs and a part of our culture and heritage.
Apple pie is British and hot dogs are German.

Just saying.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,725,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The Brazil vs Mexico match was the best.
It was awesome! I love watching a game for 1.5 hours only to see them battle to a 0-0 tie.

I'm not a huge fan of soccer or baseball on the pro level. Both sports are pretty boring. And I've been to an Olympic soccer game during the Atlanta Olympics, and watched a World Series baseball game from seats next to Ted Turner and Jane Fonda.

My kids have played years of soccer, and I'm happy to go watch them play, but I couldn't see myself ever going to an MLS game.

(I may be particularly grouchy about soccer and baseball right now as I have spent hours watching both this week with my son who is recovering from surgery.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies