Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:12 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Just want to point out that Major League Soccer out draws the NHL and NBA on per game average attendance. Of course much of this is due to lower ticket prices. A cheap night out with the family.

In 2012 the average attendance for an MLS game was 18,807. The NHL was 17,477 and NBA 17,274.

Major League Soccer attendance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting, but doesn't the type of venue that these sports are played in also have some influence over attendance?

After all, most basketball arenas are smaller, so the fans are not too far away from the action. The same would be true for most hockey arenas.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Demographics changing? Maybe via illegal immigration but we need to get a handle on that problem. I don't see soccer ever replacing football in popularity. It's as American as apple pie and hot dogs and a part of our culture and heritage.
Ok, I know I coached on this in the past but you seem to have forgotten.

NFL is a ripoff of British rugby. What do my British in-laws say about the NFL? Ripoff sport full of gays running around in colorful tights afraid to get hurt (hence the amount of padding they use and the helmets), whereas rugby is full contact in the literal sense. And, yes, NFL is modified rugby.

Two, soccer is a British sport. The game as we know it today came to form in the mid 1800s in London. Seriously, if you're going to use the same tired pitches of undesirable, non-white demographics in your rants, at least learn about what you're ranting about. Before you say anything as well, that classic American sport, baseball, is also British. Sorry. What you knew as "classic Americana" is really British.

How ironic that it takes Latin American and European immigrants (soccer is the most popular sport in Europe, btw) to make a British sport more popular here, while at the same time you are going on about how soccer is an unAmerican sport when almost none of our major sports are organically American in the first place.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:22 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ok, I know I coached on this in the past but you seem to have forgotten.

NFL is a ripoff of British rugby. What do my British in-laws say about the NFL? Ripoff sport full of gays running around in colorful tights afraid to get hurt (hence the amount of padding they use and the helmets), whereas rugby is full contact in the literal sense. And, yes, NFL is modified rugby.

Two, soccer is a British sport. The game as we know it today came to form in the mid 1800s in London. Seriously, if you're going to use the same tired pitches of undesirable, non-white demographics in your rants, at least learn about what you're ranting about. Before you say anything as well, that classic American sport, baseball, is also British. Sorry. What you knew as "classic Americana" is really British.

How ironic that it takes Latin American and European immigrants (soccer is the most popular sport in Europe, btw) to make a British sport more popular here, while at the same time you are going on about how soccer is an unAmerican sport when almost none of our major sports are organically American in the first place.
Basketball is actually the most American of team sports as far as orgin. The only thing that ties it a European sport originally would be the fact that originally it was played with soccer balls.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:22 AM

503 posts, read 772,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I played football from 5th grade through 12th starting all but 8 games and I never slapped anyone on the ass.

Your comment that players spending half the time standing around in a huddle shows you don't understand the game. There is a specific amount of time the offensive team has to prepare for the next play. That is called the "play clock" Play clock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia During this time, the game clock may or may not be running. Unlike soccer, during delays we stop the clock rather than arbitrarily adding a few minutes at the end. We like the accuracy of proper time keeping.

After the play is called and they get into a formation, think of that like a chess match. Are there more players on one side? Are different types of players (receivers or backs) favoring a side? The defense must adjust to the formation. Was this offensive formation a trick? Will they go in motion completely changing the balance of the field before the play starts? Even though they aren't actually playing, there is still strategy involved.

When the play starts, will it be run conventionally based on the formation or will there be misdirection or trickery involved? Will someone miss their assignment allowing the defense to gain a tactical advantage
They run plays in soccer - only they don't have to pause to get into formation. With the exception of corner kicks, goal kicks, etc...
Soccer takes finesse, stamina and skill on the fly. Such fun to watch!

Aust v. Ned on right now.... great game!!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
David Beckham is trying to find a venue in Miami for a soccer stadium. He's been voted down by the commission twice.

I predict if the US wins a world cup (maybe not THIS one), soccer will be more popular.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Just want to point out that Major League Soccer out draws the NHL and NBA on per game average attendance. Of course much of this is due to lower ticket prices. A cheap night out with the family.

In 2012 the average attendance for an MLS game was 18,807. The NHL was 17,477 and NBA 17,274.
Part of that is fewer games per season and only playing weekends (occasional Wednesdays).
Games per season (someone can correct me if I'm wrong)
16 NFL
34 MLS
82 NHL
82 NBA
162 MLB

Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Interesting, but doesn't the type of venue that these sports are played in also have some influence over attendance?

After all, most basketball arenas are smaller, so the fans are not too far away from the action. The same would be true for most hockey arenas.
I think most arena's fit between 18 to 20k. I still think it is more about ticket prices. Plus in many areas Soccer is now one of the most played sports by our youth.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:54 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
For the past 30 years, I've always enjoyed watching international soccer: the athleticism and skill of the players as well as the passion, national pride and the rivalries of the teams made it a very compelling sport to watch.

I will admit that I have never been able to channel that interest in international soccer into watching local professional teams play soccer. That may change, but not yet anyway.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Tell me which country's citizens like losing. I'll wait for that one!
I'm talking about the video in the OP of people watching the Ghana game being used as proof...

but I'm sure you knew this already

Old 06-18-2014, 11:14 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's kind of like the Olympics, everyone looks at track in gymnastics doe a few weeks and that's it, doesn't hurt if you win. After this is over no one will care, does anyone watch the US soccer league?

Anyway a great game and good win for the US.
well said. yes its nice that we beat ghana, and as long as americas team keeps winning, we will be watching the sport. but when the world cup is over, and teh teams have left for home, we americans will go back to our lives, and eagerly anticipate the beginning of the NFL season so we can get back to watching real football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies