Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times

Advertisements

I think all U.S. states should have individual scores

Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 AM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Many people of other races believe it's a race issue. That's all they talk about, is race. Why should we not believe them?

Are you saying that poor white people have the same test scores as poor asians? Poor Jews (hehehe, hahaha oh man that's funny I could even type that, hahahaha) score as low as poor blacks?

Really?

Jesus! You live in Katy? So does my brother. That place ain't diverse at all, what utter BS. Katy is 84% white and 5% African American. You wouldn't know a poor Black kid if he stole your kids Jordan's.
Why don't you source your claims by citing a study showing the statistical test performance adjusted for other variables like poverty?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
I read a lot of article on Race, Education, IQ, and Test Scores. My conclusions don't come from just one article but from the last 4-5 years of reading a lot of research on those topics. A lot of it is Math. I like the Math of it. Test scores show some things, but are not the be all end all. But they are something. My best resource is the Journal of Blacks in Education. It's amazingly candid from time to time. I also go here a lot, good research to and it's unflitered. Meaning some "journalist" hasn't cherry picked what they think is important for a 500 word article. Get the information yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Journal of Blacks in Education; Racial Scoring Gap

From the Article:

"But income differences explain only part of the racial gap in SAT scores. For black and white students from families with incomes of more than $200,000 in 2008, there still remains a huge 149-point gap in SAT scores. Even more startling is the fact that in 2008 black students from families with incomes of more than $200,000 scored lower on the SAT test than did students from white families with incomes between $20,000 and $40,000. (emphasis is mine)

But the fact is that even when family income levels are similar, we are still comparing black and white students who are as different as apples and oranges in terms of educational sophistication, family educational heritage, family wealth, and access to educational tools and resources. The average white family in the same income group is far better equipped than the average black family to prepare their children for success on the SAT test."

And here is where you can find a lot of research as well, National Center for Educational Statistics.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 06-19-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
I read a lot of article on Race, Education, IQ, and Test Scores. My conclusions don't come from just one article but from the last 4-5 years of reading a lot of research on those topics. A lot of it is Math. I like the Math of it. Test scores show some things, but are not the be all end all. But they are something. My best resource is the Journal of Blacks in Education. It's amazingly candid from time to time. I also go here a lot, good research to and it's unflitered. Meaning some "journalist" hasn't cherry picked what they think is important for a 500 word article. Get the information yourself and draw your own conclusions.

From the Journal of Blacks in Education; Racial Scoring Gap

From the Article:

"But income differences explain only part of the racial gap in SAT scores. For black and white students from families with incomes of more than $200,000 in 2008, there still remains a huge 149-point gap in SAT scores. Even more startling is the fact that in 2008 black students from families with incomes of more than $200,000 scored lower on the SAT test than did students from white families with incomes between $20,000 and $40,000.

But the fact is that even when family income levels are similar, we are still comparing black and white students who are as different as apples and oranges in terms of educational sophistication, family educational heritage, family wealth, and access to educational tools and resources. The average white family in the same income group is far better equipped than the average black family to prepare their children for success on the SAT test."

And here is where you can find a lot of research as well, National Center for Educational Statistics.
poverty certainly doesn't explain it all away..

Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
poverty certainly doesn't explain it all away..
Agreed. I've never said that poverty does not play ANY factor, my suggestion is that there are other more important factors at play besides poverty.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
The parasite welfare drones in Harlem (used to work there) are identical in attitude, outlook, and behavior to the parasite welfare drones in rural poverty (don't live that far from some of it now).

Different color, dress, and speech, but damn if they're not the same people; both have no ability to plan for the future, seem to give zero **** about anything, depend on the government, breed uncontrollably, and glorify criminality.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

Journal of Blacks in Education; Racial Scoring Gap

From the Article:

"But income differences explain only part of the racial gap in SAT scores. For black and white students from families with incomes of more than $200,000 in 2008, there still remains a huge 149-point gap in SAT scores. Even more startling is the fact that in 2008 black students from families with incomes of more than $200,000 scored lower on the SAT test than did students from white families with incomes between $20,000 and $40,000. (emphasis is mine)

The public will never acknowledge that..EVER.
So we will continue living with "if we only had more money" mantra.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:04 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I teach in a rural school. 80% of the kids get free/reduced lunch and 80% of the kids are "at risk" due to poverty. Yet, 80% of the kids don't fail their state tests. The racial breakdown of pass/fail is always the same.
Asians, Whites, Hispanics, Blacks.

It's more than just poverty. But we can't objectively discuss this issue in America today so I'll just leave it at that.
Happy Texan, I seriously doubt that you're really a teacher. If you are a teacher, then I'm most certain that you've had some African-American students who consistently scored higher than many of your Asian, Hispanic, and Caucasian students. If you haven't, then your teaching experience has been extremely limited.

Really! This IQ-mapping and intelligence-pigeonholing of entire groups of people, and African-Americans in particular, is quite seriously going to lead our country into a really dismal place. To say that blacks or Chicanos are intellectually inferior to whites, implies that the South had a legitimate basis for slavery, that the early pioneers had a natural right to displace both the Indians and Mexicans in the west via "Manifest Destiny" , and to maintain the Jim Crow laws of the racially segregated South. It also implies that race-mixing can only dilute the superiority of whites and that the Nazis were well on their way to obtaining a just and righteous European Utopia.

Is this really the direction in which you'd like to see America go?...Even as a so-called educator?

Old 06-21-2014, 04:48 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,707 times
Have any of the White Supremacist in this thread ever think it may have to do with poverty AND the simple fact that for many young Black kids it's not "cool" in their culture to actually study or pay any attention in school? Where most White and Asian parents may put emphasis on studies and education, I see most Black parents putting that same emphasis on sports and music.

I know the White Supremacist among you would like to believe it's because having less pigment leads you to being superior to Blacks, but couldn't simply be that both races are equally capable, but one doesn't apply themselves as much? Yes, HappyTexan, I'm asking this question to you as well. You fit the description.

Last edited by DoniDanko; 06-21-2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
Part of the problem in the UK has been that a lot of money and resources have been concentrated on multicultural inner city schools as opposed to schools in the suburbs and rural areas which have a higher percentage of white pupils. Many state Schools in London and other cities can receive over twice the funding of some rural areas.

BBC News - 'Invisible' poor children let down by schools, says Ofsted head

Families in the countryside pay more tax for fewer services - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Village schools given 'raw deal' by Labour - Telegraph

Educating Norfolk: Funding for Norfolk schools - Education - Eastern Daily Press

Village schools still underfunded - Yorkshire Post

How much per-pupil funding will your school get? - SecEd

Last edited by Bamford; 06-22-2014 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies