Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Happy Texan, I seriously doubt that you're really a teacher. If you are a teacher, then I'm most certain that you've had some African-American students who consistently scored higher than many of your Asian, Hispanic, and Caucasian students. If you haven't, then your teaching experience has been extremely limited.

Really! This IQ-mapping and intelligence-pigeonholing of entire groups of people, and African-Americans in particular, is quite seriously going to lead our country into a really dismal place. To say that blacks or Chicanos are intellectually inferior to whites, implies that the South had a legitimate basis for slavery, that the early pioneers had a natural right to displace both the Indians and Mexicans in the west via "Manifest Destiny" , and to maintain the Jim Crow laws of the racially segregated South. It also implies that race-mixing can only dilute the superiority of whites and that the Nazis were well on their way to obtaining a just and righteous European Utopia.

Is this really the direction in which you'd like to see America go?...Even as a so-called educator?
Numbers don't lie. And fee free to "doubt" all you want.

Go look at any state or school district state test scores.
They provide demographic breakdown. Doesn't matter where..north, south, west coast..they all have the same demographic breakdown by score.

And I was commenting on groups as a whole, not individuals.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Really! This IQ-mapping and intelligence-pigeonholing of entire groups of people, and African-Americans in particular, is quite seriously going to lead our country into a really dismal place. To say that blacks or Chicanos are intellectually inferior to whites, implies that the South had a legitimate basis for slavery, that the early pioneers had a natural right to displace both the Indians and Mexicans in the west via "Manifest Destiny" , and to maintain the Jim Crow laws of the racially segregated South. It also implies that race-mixing can only dilute the superiority of whites and that the Nazis were well on their way to obtaining a just and righteous European Utopia.
You are ignoring the alternative to the conclusion of inferior ethnic groups and races and that is inferior cultures. In Britain poor blacks are outscoring poor whites on average. One of many facts that lead to an argument that it is culture that accounts for test score differences.

The fact is if the problem is the home, or other cultural influences outside the schoolhouse than we are really not addressing the problem when we attack a student's schooling. When different demographic groups have different test results when they basically go to the same schools and live in the same neighborhoods we need to kind of look at what is happening outside the schoolhouse instead of blaming the schools.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You are ignoring the alternative to the conclusion of inferior ethnic groups and races and that is inferior cultures. In Britain poor blacks are outscoring poor whites on average. One of many facts that lead to an argument that it is culture that accounts for test score differences.

The fact is if the problem is the home, or other cultural influences outside the schoolhouse than we are really not addressing the problem when we attack a student's schooling. When different demographic groups have different test results when they basically go to the same schools and live in the same neighborhoods we need to kind of look at what is happening outside the schoolhouse instead of blaming the schools.
I told the poster to check out scores himself.

Here in central Texas there is a wealthy school district..Lake Travis.
They are not Title 1. Lake Travis is an affluent area.

Our state test results for this district:

8th grade Math:
0% Asians failed
5% Whites failed
19% Hispanic failed
(no statistics on Blacks because the number was too small)

Overall this district has a consistent passing rate of over 90% and over 80% of the students go to college.

That is a HUGE gap and poverty has nothing to do with that.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:50 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Have any of the White Supremacist in this thread ever think it may have to do with poverty AND the simple fact that for many young Black kids it's not "cool" in their culture to actually study or pay any attention in school? Where most White and Asian parents may put emphasis on studies and education, I see most Black parents putting that same emphasis on sports and music.

I know the White Supremacist among you would like to believe it's because having less pigment leads you to being superior to Blacks, but couldn't simply be that both races are equally capable, but one doesn't apply themselves as much? Yes, HappyTexan, I'm asking this question to you as well. You fit the description.
Sorry didn't get back to you earlier, I was at a "meeting" at the Holiday Inn. You know the meetings all us middle class white people go to discuss how to keep black and Hispanic (but not Asians and Jews!) people from achieving anything in this country. It was an interesting meeting we discussed how someone like me earning about the state average in my state can make sure that black and Hispanic (but not Asians and Jews!) don't do well in school by taking their money. You should come to the next meeting, titled "How to Influence Erica Holder's DOJ to keep reporting on the 13% of the population committing over 50% of the violent crime in this country (middle class white people like me can directly influence the black President and Black attorney general to over report crime).

Anyway, you answered your own question: Are there other factors, no ****.

"the simple fact that for many young Black kids it's not "cool" in their culture to actually study or pay any attention in school? Where most White and Asian parents may put emphasis on studies and education, I see most Black parents putting that same emphasis on sports and music"

Duh. Now welcome to the racist rich evil white racist evil homophobic racist white supremacist club.

You racist.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times
Quote:
Happy Texan, I seriously doubt that you're really a teacher. If you are a teacher, then I'm most certain that you've had some African-American students who consistently scored higher than many of your Asian, Hispanic, and Caucasian students. If you haven't, then your teaching experience has been extremely limited.

Is this really the direction in which you'd like to see America go?...Even as a so-called educator?
Well said. The willful ignorance and bigotry is shocking.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:26 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times
Question: Is culture a function of race?

Why or why not?

Old 06-28-2014, 03:09 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Question: Is culture a function of race?

Why or why not?
Do you share the same culture as Russians?

Old 06-28-2014, 03:15 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
I like how the stormfront posters keep ignoring the British study and keep posting american stats that don't disprove what the op said.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:20 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I told the poster to check out scores himself.

Here in central Texas there is a wealthy school district..Lake Travis.
They are not Title 1. Lake Travis is an affluent area.

Our state test results for this district:

8th grade Math:
0% Asians failed
5% Whites failed
19% Hispanic failed
(no statistics on Blacks because the number was too small)

Overall this district has a consistent passing rate of over 90% and over 80% of the students go to college.

That is a HUGE gap and poverty has nothing to do with that.

Findings/Results: Results suggest the effects of family income on SAT scores, though relatively modest in contrasts to high school achievement, are substantial, non-linear, and nearly twice as large for Black students. Moreover, the unstandardized direct effect of high school achievement on SAT performance is not enough to address the substantial effects of poverty for Black students.

TCRecord: Article

Old 06-28-2014, 09:13 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Findings/Results: Results suggest the effects of family income on SAT scores, though relatively modest in contrasts to high school achievement, are substantial, non-linear, and nearly twice as large for Black students. Moreover, the unstandardized direct effect of high school achievement on SAT performance is not enough to address the substantial effects of poverty for Black students.

TCRecord: Article
Family income is not the cause of low scores. There is a correlation, but that is to be expected since intelligence level has a direct effect on life outcomes.

Directly from the College Board, the makers of the SAT, you can see that Blacks in the highest income group barely outscore Whites from the lowest income group.

Those that say race is not a factor are blind to reality. There is no school district in the entire country where Blacks score on par with Whites. Not one. Even in wealthy districts like Prince George County, Blacks perform much lower than Whites on standardized testing. How can this be if culture is the explanation?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-28-2014 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies