Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
We could have easily stayed in Saigon and ran that country if we wanted.

They were poor and no no oil though, so not sure how much we would have had to gain by doing such.

The problem with the Vietnam War just like the Afghan War is we were doing retarded patrols and missions in remote locations and villages leading to alot of casualties.
So why didn't you?

And why don't you?

Clearly, all the military and diplomatic brass in this country for the past 40 years or so are just crying out for someone like you to tell them what's what.

Your country needs you. Here's your chance for greatness.

Why are you just sitting there in your chair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 06:14 PM

675 posts, read 542,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So why didn't you?

And why don't you?

Clearly, all the military and diplomatic brass in this country for the past 40 years or so are just crying out for someone like you to tell them what's what.

Your country needs you. Here's your chance for greatness.

Why are you just sitting there in your chair?
I know Id make a great prez. Its a shame I live abroad. American women just dont do it for me.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:22 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,282,885 times
Quote:
I know Id make a great prez. Its a shame I live abroad. American women just dont do it for me.
I'm sure you DO think you'd make a great prez.
That doesn't mean you WOULD - or that the American people would even THINK your would.
LOL

Ken

Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times
Quote:
Oh I see. Like Dick Cheney, you have other priorities.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,472,832 times
Quote:
It is time we come to this realization. Iraq in it's present form is incapable of governing and bringing stability to it's country.

The US needs to take over the country and run it for them until they are capable and ready to behave like civil human beings.

We can split the oil profits for bringing some stability to the country.

It would be a win win for both parties.
But the reason Iraq has become "ungovernable" is because if the U.S. invasion and sanctions. The U.S. has destroyed that entire country--and now you think the U.S. run it?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:54 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,003,681 times
Quote:

The US needs to take over the country and run it for them until they are capable and ready to behave like civil human beings.

We can split the oil profits for bringing some stability to the country.
Why split it. I agree with Trump:

"Iraq told us to get out, Iraq is now falling, and Iraq now wants us to come back! Don't do it unless we get the OIL, and I mean ALL OF IT!" Donald Trump June 12 2014

Old 06-19-2014, 06:59 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,282,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But the reason Iraq has become "ungovernable" is because if the U.S. invasion and sanctions. The U.S. has destroyed that entire country--and now you think the U.S. run it?
Well, in hindsight it certainly appears we would have been better off if we'd left Saddam alone. While he DID sponsor and support Palestinians causing grief for Israel, the WMD thing proved untrue as did the supposed Al Qaeda link (Al Qaeda WAS in northern Iraq but that was controlled by our "allies" at the time - the Kurds). When you factor in the fact that we spent a TON of money and thousands of lives and add to that the fact that Saddam was a counterforce to Iran, I'm not sure anyone can really make a good case that we're better off with him gone (especially with the latest troubles there). And yeah, I KNOW that IF were still there, those troubles might not be happening, but the fact remains that it was costing us a TON of money to stay there and we'd have to leave eventually - and whos' to say the same thing wouldn't have just happened then (whenever that was)? Iraq is very complicated and those troubles have been there for a long time.

Ken

Old 06-19-2014, 07:18 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,551,139 times
Quote:
Hence the need for US to run their country until they realize its either work together and play nice or no one gets any pie. After awhile the leaders will realize what needs to be done.

Imagine if you and your family hated each other and couldnt make nice. I go in and take over your house, help myself to your money and everything else. I tell you I aint leaving until your family learns how to behave. After while you guys are gonna realize its in your best interest to put differences aside and work out your problems.
I don't think you have much practical experience with families. The real scenario here and it's one that has played out too many times in American foreign affairs is this. The policy planners think erroneously just like you do. This family that can't get along? Well once you butt in, all of a sudden they can get along because as much as they don't like each other they hate you ten times more. So, in reality in your scenario, this is what happens. You say, `no soup for you` and all of a sudden they kill you and eat their soup and yours too.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:33 PM

675 posts, read 542,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I don't think you have much practical experience with families. The real scenario here and it's one that has played out too many times in American foreign affairs is this. The policy planners think erroneously just like you do. This family that can't get along? Well once you butt in, all of a sudden they can get along because as much as they don't like each other they hate you ten times more. So, in reality in your scenario, this is what happens. You say, `no soup for you` and all of a sudden they kill you and eat their soup and yours too.
How would they kill you if you strip them of weapons and have security forces to put down any rebellion?

How do you think Saddam stayed in power as a minority oppressive dictator?

Force

Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,108,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And it's not as if the conflicts didn't exist prior to those decisions being made.
Um, there were no conflicts "prior to those decisions being made."

I guess you probably believe the Ford Model T had air-conditioning and power seats, power windows, power door-locks, power-steering, power-brakes, sound systems, GPS, DVD, electronic ignition, fuel injection, airbags....

Quote:
The United States didn't cause a problem all by themselves. I believe England was the primary architect of the modern Middle East

So why didn't you fix it when you had the chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
We haven't received any oil from that cesspool country yet after 12 years there. What makes you think that we'll get any from them in the future with your scheme? Bumbling Bush promised us that the oil would mitigate the costs of conducting the democratization process. It hasn't worked.
Actually it did work.

The fact that you're on the internet is proof it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Iraq is too savage of a country by first world standards. Let em kill themselves.
That's amusing, since Baghdad was the 1st World at one time.

You made the country "savage," not them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And add this point.............If the US Government decides to cancel the pipeline from Alberta to the southern States......we can all ways sell OUR oil to the rest of the world, at world market prices.
Then quit bluffing already and just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As it stands right now , today.......Canada supplies about forty percent of the oil and natural gas that the US depends on to run it's economy.
Wrong. Americans do not need Canadian high Sulfur tar that produces 4-7 gallons of gasoline per 42 gallon barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Would this be a good time to point out that Canada, yes us little guys up here, has MORE oil in the ground than either Iraq or Saudi Arabia does ?
Um, your "oil" (snicker) is worthless.

There's a reason it's called Tar Sands and not called "oil".

Quote:
We didn't create the religious divisions in the Middle East. Those divisions already existed.

They existed peacefully
....before you came along and pitted one against the other for your own purposes...you know, "Divide and Conquer."

Quote:
We didn't create the cultural and tribal divisions, they already existed.
They existed peacefully....before you came along and pitted one against the other for your own purposes...you know, "Divide and Conquer."

Quote:
But if the people of the Middle East want lasting peace, it will be up to them to resolve their differences.
Not when you are standing in the way.

A hypocrite says things like you do....."Solve your own problems...oh, by the way, you are not allowed to sell oil in any currency except US Dollars.....and US oil companies have to have some stake....and the Kurds are not allowed to have their own homeland.....and the Turkmen and other Turkic and Turco-Mongol tribes are not allowed to have their own homeland.....and the Sunni are not allowed to have self-rule or autonomy....and the majority Shi'a are not allowed to merge with Iran....and...."

Get out of the way....

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies