Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:35 PM

17,386 posts, read 11,902,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Maybe you should be more concerned about listening to your fellow cons views on women & rape.
I'm not stupid enough to think that what one person says expresses the viewpoint of everyone in the party. If I did, then I'd think that every democrat thinks bombs should be planted to kill the police, kind of like Bill Ayers did.

And personally, some of the most disgusting comments about women I've ever heard have come from liberals.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:35 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,492,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post

I share your sentiments about not posting on the P & OC forum, though I pretty much no longer even bother to lurk there. Problem is, you yourself say it's filled with "junk," yet now you use the "junk" you've seen there as examples of what supposedly conservatives in general "always" say on the subject of rape. Really weakens your case badly from the get-go if you have to refer to posts in that forum to back up your statement.
Actually, considering it was always conservatives with their blaming of the victim yes, it in fact does support my case.

Quote:
So you simply make a statement and then don't back it up with examples because you "kinda don't feel like it." It's true just because you say it is, I guess.
Why would I go onto a forum that I've lurked on, never posted on, don't remember when I've last been on there to try to sift thru pages to find examples for you? It's not like I cited one specific example which I could then bring up for you. These are numerous examples. And again, if you chose to ignore that it is indeed cons who have this disdain for rape victims & women in general I might add I'm not going to waste any of my energy trying to convince you otherwise. The facts are out there, it's pretty funny that you haven't heard any of it.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,858,005 times
Quote:
Examples, please.

And where this does happen, it sounds as if you automatically label the person who blames the victim a "typical conservative" (whatever exactly that is). Sounds like a conveniently contrived self-fulfilling prophecy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You can't be this naive.
What's naive about this? TheFragile made a blanket statement without examples to back it up. What's naive about requesting examples? The opposite actually would be more a naive reaction, simply accepting blanket accusations as true because someone declares them to be.

And, in fact, TheFragile is using circular logic: Conservatives always blame rape victims for being raped. Therefore any example where someone seems to blame the victim is another example of a "conservative" blaming the victim. Therefore this reinforces the idea that conservatives always blame the victim.

What's naive about pointing that out?

By the way, you haven't responded to my post where I pointed out that your examples were for the most part actually not examples of anyone blaming victims. Instead, you respond to another post by describing me as "naive." Another one of those debate flaws there. I believe that one is called an ad hominim fallacy: Instead of defending one's own argument logically, one personally criticizes someone with whom he disagrees.

Last edited by ogre; 06-23-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 02:43 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,875,122 times
Did anyone *read* the Daily Beast article? The victim was in a coma for 5 days! She must have been beaten to a pulp. This was no ordinary rape. He should have been charged with mayhem and attempted murder, and sent to prison for decades.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Actually, considering it was always conservatives with their blaming of the victim yes, it in fact does support my case.
According to your definition of a conservative. And again, if you're talking about the P & OC forum, there are lots and lots of nutty arguments over there (based on what I saw when I used to lurk there), involving all political views. I don't know why you would even base your generalizations on what you saw there.

Quote:
Why would I go onto a forum that I've lurked on, never posted on, don't remember when I've last been on there to try to sift thru pages to find examples for you?
I never said you needed to limit your examples to CD's P & OC forum. In fact, if you could come up with some examples from more reasonable sources, that would lend a bit of credence to your assertions. Only a bit, though, because it wouldn't really be practical on a forum like this to cite enough cases to come even close to backing up your earlier "always" statements.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
According to your definition of a conservative. And again, if you're talking about the P & OC forum, there are lots and lots of nutty arguments over there (based on when I used to lurk there), involving all political views. I don't know why you would even base your generalizations on what you saw there.

I never said you needed to limit your examples to CD's P & OC forum. In fact, if you could come up with some examples from more reasonable sources, that would lend a bit of credence to your assertions. Only a bit, though, because it wouldn't really be practical on a forum like this to cite enough cases to come even close to backing up your earlier "always" statements.
Shrug, no skin off my back.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Shrug, no skin off my back.
Nor mine.

Making blanket negative accusations about the other side, implying that anyone who disagrees is just plain stupid not to see the reality, then moving on with an if-you-don't-get-it-I-can't-be-bothered-to-explain-it attitude. Hmmmm, seems like what "liberals" always do.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Did anyone *read* the Daily Beast article? The victim was in a coma for 5 days! She must have been beaten to a pulp. This was no ordinary rape. He should have been charged with mayhem and attempted murder, and sent to prison for decades.
Caught this post just now after returning from the detour into the other, em, topic, so I haven't read the Daily Beast article. Does the article provide any reasons why he wasn't charged with those crimes?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Nor mine.

Making blanket negative accusations about the other side, implying that anyone who disagrees is just plain stupid not to see the reality, then moving on with an if-you-don't-get-it-I-can't-be-bothered-to-explain-it attitude. Hmmmm, seems like what "liberals" always do.
Like I said, I find it interesting that you seem to be so uninformed about that.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:33 PM

So, inform me.

Okay, so are there "conservatives" who blame the victim for being raped? Sure. If there were actually any way to prove any of this, which there's not, I'd lay any odds you wanted that there were also "liberals" who had been known to express this view.

It was your "always" statements that made your assertions scream that they needed to be backed up.

Anyway, this whole discussion really is a red herring, or whatever the term is for something that distracts from the main topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies