Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No, it's not my opinion. As you just pointed out, English is the language of business and science, so it only makes sense that the platforms be set up in quasi-English. You are arguing with yourself. Which language did you want them to be set up in?
You just said it was done in English because the coders were English.
And I just pointed out that was a false statement.

Grace Hopper's first compiler supported several languages for keywords and was rejected in favor of English.
That set the precedent. The USG set the precedent decades ago.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You just said it was done in English because the coders were English.
And I just pointed out that was a false statement.

Grace Hopper's first compiler supported several languages for keywords and was rejected in favor of English.
That set the precedent. The USG set the precedent decades ago.
All right, all right, all right... let's clear the language up (language can be vague, including English). What I meant was not that the coders were ethnically English or even native English speakers per se. What I meant was that, in the "computer world" (as you've pointed out several times), the language (spoken language) of choice is English. The coders themselves may have been English (speakers), Spanish (speakers), Indian (speakers), etc, but they all came together in the "lingua franca" of English to develop the languages because they knew (or their corporate superiors knew) that was going to be (or likely to be) the common language worldwide within their discourse.

And, I'm not talking about the infancy of computers and coding. Assembler doesn't look all that English-like, although it does use abbreviations that are English-like enough to make sense. I'm talking more about the development of later OOP languages. Most of them share many symbols and keywords... that are very English-like or flat-out English.

A computer programming language can be set up to mimic any natural language (as far as key words and symbols). But why? As you said, business and science is done largely (at least officially) in English. To do otherwise would be a great way to go out of business.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
All right, all right, all right... let's clear the language up (language can be vague, including English). What I meant was not that the coders were ethnically English or even native English speakers per se. What I meant was that, in the "computer world" (as you've pointed out several times), the language (spoken language) of choice is English. The coders themselves may have been English (speakers), Spanish (speakers), Indian (speakers), etc, but they all came together in the "lingua franca" of English to develop the languages because they knew (or their corporate superiors knew) that was going to be (or likely to be) the common language worldwide within their discourse.

And, I'm not talking about the infancy of computers and coding. Assembler doesn't look all that English-like, although it does use abbreviations that are English-like enough to make sense. I'm talking more about the development of later OOP languages. Most of them share many symbols and keywords... that are very English-like or flat-out English.

A computer programming language can be set up to mimic any natural language (as far as key words and symbols). But why? As you said, business and science is done largely (at least officially) in English. To do otherwise would be a great way to go out of business.
Not to be nit picky but it's not the programming language that's important.
It's the compiler that translates that language into bit code.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Quote:
I was referring to 5 year olds entering school for the first time not knowing English.
I also said by MS they were fluent. I'm in an area with a lot of immigrants and there are homes where English is not spoken because the older adults in the home do not know English.

I'd hardly compare a rural Texas town with NYC.

I grew up in NYC and this doesn't even compare.
I admire your tenacity in trying to explain but obviously they don't understand. You and I live on border states and understand the reality. I would also venture a guess that you were raised by people who taught you what is polite behaviour in public.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
My old company did very well doing business in English.
Tech is English based.
So no one at you old company knew Mandarin?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Not to be nit picky but it's not the programming language that's important.
It's the compiler that translates that language into bit code.
But it is important to the coders, right? It's their "window to machine language." Theoretically, everything could be done in assembler or even bare binary machine language. But that would be rude. Like burping in public.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I admire your tenacity in trying to explain but obviously they don't understand. You and I live on border states and understand the reality. I would also venture a guess that you were raised by people who taught you what is polite behaviour in public.
Yelling at others for not speaking English when they are near you isn't polite, it is rude. If you don't like being around people who speak a foreign language to you, then don't live in areas that are heavily populated by them. You are living in an area that once belonged to Mexico, why are you surprised people there still speak Spanish?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
No.... we do not understand that English should be mandated for each man, woman, boy and girl, on every street and corner market in our great (and free) country. Sadly. Tá muid dlúth.

As for being raised by "people who taught you what is polite behaviour in public," in my case, my parents were about as "English Only" as it gets. Not only did they not want to hear a peep out of anyone within earshot in a foreign language, but I would have to hear about it for hours after it happened and how "rude" it is. Why didn't that get passed on to me??? Well, because I think for myself and I seriously question and analyze everything I have been "taught." It's hard to do sometimes, because, we as humans, are pretty easily programmed to thoughtlessly act or hold opinions. But, for me personally, I do everything in my power to question most everything that has been "programmed" into me... and try to objectively decide whether it is just, unjust, right, or wrong. In doing so, I've actually had to do a 180 on my POV many times.

BTW: why are you spelling behaviour as they do in England? I think that's pretty rude. When in 'merica, it's behavior, by darn.

BTW II: I grew up in San Jose, Californ... oh... wait, is that Spanish? Sorry.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-23-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yelling at others for not speaking English when they are near you isn't polite, it is rude. If you don't like being around people who speak a foreign language to you, then don't live in areas that are heavily populated by them. You are living in an area that once belonged to Mexico, why are you surprised people there still speak Spanish?
People in California don't yell, we mock. Btw, California belonged to the Native Americans. I live with one.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
People in California don't yell, we mock. Btw, California belonged to the Native Americans. I live with one.
Well those speaking another language in ear shot of you don't care if you mock, which I believe is considered to be a rude thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies