Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
British Airways just suspended flights into Liberia and Sierra Leone through August 31.

Ebola outbreak: BA suspends flights to Sierra Leone and Liberia over virus - Telegraph

Emirates and Pan Africa airlines have suspended flights into those areas as well. All other airlines are continuing normal service to those areas at this time.
Nigeria's ARIK and ASKY airlines suspended flights to Liberia and Sierra Leone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Ebola is going to sweep across Africa within a year and work its way into Europe..
Alrighty, if you say so.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
The exact sort of paranoia and panic that is utterly and absolutely counter-productive.

Quote:
I am no scientist and I am no virologist, but I feel that the virus has either become airborne or has become MUCH easier to transmit. I am also horribly angry that the risk, no matter how small, has been taken to bring these people back into our country for treatment. I’m literally petrified to touch anything outside my home. I am going to go tomorrow and buy masks and gloves and hand sanitizer and bleach. My home is now a ‘no one in’ zone. All foods will be thoroughly cooked until nothing could have survived and water will be boiled and all items coming into my house will be cleaned with a bleach solution. Call me crazy, I don’t give a damned, but I am protecting myself and everyone else should be too.
If this woman reacts like this to a virus she'll most likely never encounter in her whole life, what would she do during an actual outbreak, such as a strain of flu similar to the 1918 variant? A FAR more realistic and viable threat to people in this country.

Keep in mind that the 1918 flu, unlike the typical flu which targets the very young, weak and infirm, tore through and devastated young and healthy populations, leading to tens of millions of deaths. You want to know what disease if any should keep you up at night? That's the one.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
IMHO most viruses and other nasties do their stuff to people who are mostly sick and run down like many people in Africa. Ebola; I don't know enough about that 1 to say it's like most other bugs.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Nigeria's ARIK and ASKY airlines suspended flights to Liberia and Sierra Leone.
It's clear that there is more risk to this than the CDC is telling us.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:38 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Can you give me next weeks' winning lotto numbers while you're at it as well Nostradamus?

me logic thinking cap doesn't work with lottery numbers.. but it does tell me the a virus like Ebola that's in 3 African countries and within big cities with millions of sheep will spread like wild fire once tens of thousands start fleeing those big populous areas.. I heard that lots of Ebola patients are hiding cause they are afraid of being exterminated by big brother, that in itself if true will aid in its spread across Africa and then in to Europe and beyond..

store lots of can food just in case!!!! a zombie apocalypse might just be around the corner..

Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
The exact sort of paranoia and panic that is utterly and absolutely counter-productive.

If this woman reacts like this to a virus she'll most likely never encounter in her whole life, what would she do during an actual outbreak, such as a strain of flu similar to the 1918 variant? A FAR more realistic and viable threat to people in this country.

Keep in mind that the 1918 flu, unlike the typical flu which targets the very young, weak and infirm, tore through and devastated young and healthy populations, leading to tens of millions of deaths. You want to know what disease if any should keep you up at night? That's the one.
That is correct. The H1N1 hit our young and healthy population especially hard, with most of the deaths.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
me logic thinking cap doesn't work with lottery numbers.. but it does tell me the a virus like Ebola that's in 3 African countries and within big cities with millions of sheep will spread like wild fire once tens of thousands start fleeing those big populous areas.. I heard that lots of Ebola patients are hiding cause they are afraid of being exterminated by big brother, that in itself if true will aid in its spread across Africa and then in to Europe and beyond..

store lots of can food just in case!!!! a zombie apocalypse might just be around the corner..

Logic? It sounds more like rubbish derived from watching too many movies and playing too many video games.

Here's the deal, real life doesn't play out the same way as in all those scary outbreak movies.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:45 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess I can see his concern. With a 21 day incubation period it's possible for a person to fly anywhere in the world before they get sick.
Fixed that for you.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:

Just to clarify, I'm not freaking out about Ebola. I'd say the chances of any sort of "outbreak" in the US or the western world are slim. But as I've stated before, I'm a skeptic, and I'm also interested in outbreaks of anything in western Africa, because not only did my husband work over there for years, he has friends working over there now - so it's sort of a personal connection.

Plus - the concept of a deadly virus sweeping through the world via air travel always intrigues me since my husband and I fly so often.

Interesting to ponder, and to watch develop - or go away.

So far in my life, I haven't met the disease that would keep me up at night worrying. However, I was pretty irate when my husband was on his way back home from Nigeria after being quarantined on a rig that was infested with bedbugs and scabies. I itched for weeks after that (thanks to some heavy duty prescription soap and some other unpleasant remedies, we dodged the bullet on that one, thank goodness).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies