Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:31 PM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
She was not a slave, she was somebodies wife. They probably were both EDUCATED people, and she got the idea, from all the cooking she was doing. Maybe it is that simple. Maybe she had some bad ideas, and it got into an heated argument. I remember a couple of years ago, I saw a woman tear up her husbands car, he came home, and then proceeded to throw something at her. The thing, almost hit my skull, but he wanted to hit her, and then he proceeded to chase after her. Another woman I know, jumped out of a house, and chased her husband down the street, while she was injured. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT IS UNCOMMON.
Yes, I agree, women are susceptible to hysteria, being the weaker sex, and need the stabilization and levelheadedness of a big, sta-rown-ggggg man around to keep them in line.

(for those who don't get sarcasm/satire, that was it, so calm down)

Quote:
Most women ( like most men ) dream of living inside of a home, and being somebodies wife.
And that should not include being barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. A wife is an equal. And when she's not, there is something wrong.

Quote:
This is not about slavery, but the media calling a married woman, a wife, a type of slave. The answer is no. Some college students even call an housewife a slave. Truth is many people barely grew up inside a home, with a normal income, because many families are divorced. However that is not an equal comparison. What we read and see in media, are all emphasized piece of facts, strung together as ficiton. Nobody really knows how bad anything was. Their are so many single people out their, who have tons of sex but never get married, because of ideas like this.
If half the material I've read about women in the Middle East (at least parts of it) are true, it certainly is about slavery. You can deny that women are treated very unfairly in the region all you want, but there are confirmed cases of women being stoned to death for sex with a non-Master. And what does the Master get if he has sex out of wedlock? Why... a cheesy-assed smile, a slap on the back, and a high-five, of course.

It's not all that far removed from this nation a couple hundred years ago--except it hasn't been quite as barbaric here. But the same chauvinism is present. Read some of the early American literature to get a good idea of the social norms and mindsets of the time--"The Coquette or, The History of Eliza Wharton" by Hannah Webster Foster is a great novel that demonstrates the double standard and mindset of the time (although that's not what was intended in its writing). Similar mindset... except they stone you to death in the ME, rather than ostracize you.

You can call it what you like. I call it a form of slavery. And it's not just a marriage or relationship issue. Remember the young girl a few years back who had acid or lye thrown in her face because she wanted to learn? Then again, why would a baby machine/love doll need to learn anything, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Thanks for this data/info.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:18 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,223 times
Quote:
If that's your idea of progress, surely the zenith of progress would be Yemen or Somalia, where people can openly carry AK-47s in broad daylight.
Wait until you see that in America. Did you buy your AK yet?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:37 AM

29,449 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Their country, their culture, their laws.
Not very many years ago, we would have known nothing about it.
I often wish it was STILL that way.
This...

Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
In this country, if a battered wife murders hers husband, she gets arrested and faces punishment, too.

They are just more liberal with the death penalty.

It was not too long ago here that women could be raped by their husbands legally. Bc it was not considered real rape.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
It is not really the age that is the issue, it more or less about what, went on between the two people as a couple. I will defend the idea that men, should give women a certain degree of respect.

We will never know what really occur in the household, and whatever happen between the two people, is their own business. All we know is that, she decided to kill her husband. One problematic household, does not speak for an entire nation, gender, race, etc. So I am not going jump on this bandwagon. The bottom line is that she should not have killed her husband, she could have found another way, so we will never know what really occurred at all.

Why don't we ever see any articles about how anti-straight discrimination caused a perfectly normal heterosexual person to commit some messed up act? It is happening all over the place, and we do not really write about that stuff, but OMGSH, an unhappy household is a big deal. The big deal is that "Southern Fried Murder, she wrote" is what really occur and activist/Hollywood/theater/politicians ( rest of them are ready to jump on it, and milk it.

I am sure their are tons of court hearings/cases that are on record for the public to view, which has the same exact thing occurring over and over.
What way do you think she could have found?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Executing a murderer is not enslavement. A 14-year-old girl being married is not enslavement.

Women's rights are severely curtailed in Iran. I don't like that. Men, especially divorced fathers, don't have it too good in this country. Guess which one I'm more interested in changing?
In the context of that society, a 14-year-old girl being married against her will and made 100% the property of her husband indeed is slavery.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Fess up. You've never actually met a male or female Iranian, have you?
Have you? I mean, Iranians actually in Iran now? I highly doubt you have.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
In this country, if a battered wife murders hers husband, she gets arrested and faces punishment, too.

They are just more liberal with the death penalty.

It was not too long ago here that women could be raped by their husbands legally. Bc it was not considered real rape.
So a 14 year old who is forced into marriage and raped is ok to kill whe she turns 21

Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So a 14 year old who is forced into marriage and raped is ok to kill whe she turns 21
My only point is that we can point at atrocities towards women in other countries while conveniently forgetting it was just the same here 100 years ago, a couple of decades ago, or even right now.

Until 1976, marital rape was legal in every state in the United States.

Although marital rape is now a crime in all 50 states in the US, some states still don't consider marital rape as serious as other forms of rape. Sentences are therefore lighter.

Look at the percentage of women in prison who were battered:

http://www.purpleberets.org/pdf/bat_women_prison.pdf

You can't work, you can't own property, you can't execute certain trades, etc...until when?!

Timeline of women's rights (other than voting) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is happening to that woman over there is sick and terrible. What happened to her as a child was also sick and terrible. But there are plenty of sick and terrible things going on right here, so let's not get all self-righteous about which country it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies