Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"My Father's commandments are my commandments."
So you're saying I shouldn't order the shrimp cocktail at lunch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So you're saying I shouldn't order the shrimp cocktail at lunch?
I'm saying you should abstain from homosexual acts that are an abomination to God.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM

461 posts, read 556,050 times
People keep regurgitating the same argument; "why is the church divesting from Israel and not all the other horrible countries in the world?"

And the answer is simple: at the moment no other group of people is asking for other countries and institutions to divest from these peoples' oppressors. Palestinian Civil Society IS asking people to divest from Israel. It is clear request by a united Palestinian sector and one those of us in support of divestment are respecting.

When the people of Saudi Arabia, Russia, or wherever ask us to support divestment of their governments, people probably will and can be held accountable if they don't. Until then, your argument doesn't hold.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Israel is the only democracy in that region and the only place homosexuals, women, Muslims, and, yes, Christians can live without fear of reprisals for their beliefs. How myopic and stupid this church group is. If they chose to visit Israel's surrounding neighbors they wouldn't want to reveal they were Christians unless they had a death wish.
The fact that Israel is a democracy is enough to hold them to a minimum if not higher human rights standard than their neighbors in the Middle East. The current government's blatant disregard for property rights in the name pushing the rather fundamentalist agenda of a subset of the Israeli population is disturbing. And speaking of Christians, these policies have had a devastating impact on them as well. Christian Family Refuses to Give Up Bethlehem Farm - BBC

Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/21/us...ldings.html?hp

Academic committees, religious institutions, and universities are increasingly divesting from Israel. Nice to see that people in this country are increasingly sick of Israel's hypocrisy, occupation, illegal detentions, and murder.

The Presbyterian Church is the latest institution to divest from Israel, part of a week of good decision making on their part (the other great decision being endorsing same-sex marriage the other day).

Israel-firsters and Zionism-lovers, you are on the losing side of history. Just like those who had to shamefully look their kids in the eye and tell them they stood by the apartheid regime in South Africa, you will have to one day shamefully look your kids in the eyes and tell them you stood by apartheid in Israel.

and the winning side of your history is... the terrorists who have for 50 years held that peace means the utter distruction of israel as a nation. period. end of story.

the bad guys want to live in peace, the good guys want to exterminate.

i dont want to be on your side.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I'm saying you should abstain from homosexual acts that are an abomination to God.
Well good thing cherry picking isn't considered an abomination.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Well good thing cherry picking isn't considered an abomination.
God freed us from dietary restrictions in His vision to Peter. Homosexual acts are clearly condemned in the New Testament.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 AM

461 posts, read 556,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
and the winning side of your history is... the terrorists who have for 50 years held that peace means the utter distruction of israel as a nation. period. end of story.

the bad guys want to live in peace, the good guys want to exterminate.

i dont want to be on your side.
Israel is a state composed of occupation, apartheid, racism, and Palestinian blood. Requesting it be dismantled does not mean its residents are going to be thrown into the sea as Israel-lovers who use your argument always insist. Rather, it means its system must be destroyed. It means that the millions of Palestinians kicked out of Palestine would be allowed to return, and Jews and Arabs (Christians and Muslims) would coexist in one state as equals. In other words, yes, ideological Zionism would die, but only because it's racist and like it did in South Africa, apartheid in Israel has to go.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
God freed us from dietary restrictions in His vision to Peter. Homosexual acts are clearly condemned in the New Testament.
Unless there's something hidden in Paul's letters to the various churches I think poly-cotton blends are still verboten.

And Jesus was very explicit about divorce and adultery so get back to me when anyone outside of Catholics start honoring that.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Unless there's something hidden in Paul's letters to the various churches I think poly-cotton blends are still verboten.

And Jesus was very explicit about divorce and adultery so get back to me when anyone outside of Catholics starts honoring that.
That men don't follow God's rules doesn't mean the rules are wrong. We all sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies