Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 10:40 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why do I seem to have to do this so many times? Where have I ever defending Obama's actions? What exactly do you think my earlier complaints about the monetary policies of the last 6 years was for? To defend the one overseeing those policies?

I wish people would actually read what people write, not shoot from the hip with your pre-loaded preconceived notions.
re-read my post. I said "his supporters" defend him no matter what".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's a taxable transaction no matter what you say and no it isn't their money. It is a grandparent's or parent's money and a new person is getting it. I.E. the money is being transferred from one person to another so, yes, it is taxable just like any other transaction. That is as it should be.
So....if I give you a gift...it is not yours???

What money I have I made.....and some day I will burn rather than give it to anyone.

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It will stop, and soon.

Then the left will STILL cry "it's Bush's fault and you're a racist!"
What will you say?

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Then tell me oh wise one, where should their money go? To you? To the millions of the sick, lame, and lazy? Where should THEIR (key point here, THEIR) money go?

??? I did not suggest their money should go anywhere. This was linked to Free Republic, a site not exactly known for making such suggestions.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You really should change your name to "think like msnbc tells me to".
I hardly ever watch MSNBC so try again. BTW my position is pretty darn close to the same Teddy Roosevelt had a century ago. If someone works hard and earns money then great they should be able to enjoy it for their life time but if America is to remain a meritocracy then we cannot see the creation of an ultra rich aristocracy of inherited wealth. That is the opposite of a meritocracy; where a tiny elite get to dominate the nation and its wealth simply due to luck of birth. The estate tax, put in place by a Republican, is the primary means of preventing vast wealth from being inherited tax free plus it literally only hits ~1% of the population yet would generate massive amounts of money, enough to pay off the entire national debt.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Hey, if YOU are so upset at what someone else does with THEIR money, why don't YOU send YOUR money to those you think should have it.

I smell a lot of jealousy here!

??? I'm not upset and the person who linnked the article to Free Republic isn't upset either.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
I hardly ever watch MSNBC so try again. BTW my position is pretty darn close to the same Teddy Roosevelt had a century ago. If someone works hard and earns money then great they should be able to enjoy it for their life time but if America is to remain a meritocracy then we cannot see the creation of an ultra rich aristocracy of inherited wealth. That is the opposite of a meritocracy; where a tiny elite get to dominate the nation and its wealth simply due to luck of birth. The estate tax, put in place by a Republican, is the primary means of preventing vast wealth from being inherited tax free plus it literally only hits ~1% of the population yet would generate massive amounts of money, enough to pay off the entire national debt.
Have Congress introduce a bill that states that we will increase estate taxes on those with say $50 million or more by X percent and see where it goes. It will not go anywhere. Neither party is going to actually support this with votes.

Some will give it lip service.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:50 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
That was the system we had for over 90 years. It wasn't until 1998 that Republicans, doing the bidding of special interests who had bribed them, repealed the estate tax. It is a perfect example of how big money corrupts our political system especially since the estate tax remains extremely popular with something like 80% of Americans supporting the idea. Americans like the idea of our country being a meritocracy where people who work hard get ahead but do not like the idea of a permanent inherited elite who dominate everything simply due to who their parents were.

It is time we return to the policies which made America great and, yes, an estate tax to level the playing field and to prevent a tiny elite from dominating the country via unearned inherited wealth was a key part of that.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
how is making 370k a year considered even to be rich?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
That was the system we had for over 90 years. It wasn't until 1998 that Republicans, doing the bidding of special interests who had bribed them, repealed the estate tax. It is a perfect example of how big money corrupts our political system especially since the estate tax remains extremely popular with something like 80% of Americans supporting the idea. Americans like the idea of our country being a meritocracy where people who work hard get ahead but do not like the idea of a permanent inherited elite who dominate everything simply due to who their parents were.

It is time we return to the policies which made America great and, yes, an estate tax to level the playing field and to prevent a tiny elite from dominating the country via unearned inherited wealth was a key part of that.
Dems have been in charge for 5.5 years now and I've yet to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies