Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times

Advertisements

"Conservatives spent years predicting Obamacare would collapse in all manner of gloomy scenarios. But those predictions all occurred in the run-up to the law coming on-line, on the basis of sketchy, preliminary data or pure conjecture. But in the months since the law has come into effect, a steady stream of far more solid data has come in, and the doomsaying predictions are being hunted to extinction. The right’s ideological objections to Obamacare remain, but I can’t think of a single practical analytic claim they made that still looks correct."

Republicans Finally Admit Why They Hate the ACA -- NYMag

Good article that shows that all the rightwing talking points about the ACA have proven to be untrue.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
I'm kind of liking Obama, he's doing everything that helps me get richer You poor folks, not so much.

You see, the rich will make money in all kinds of economic climates. People like you will hold on to HOPE and you'll be disappointed in the end.

Obamacare, I might have to pay for your insurance now but I'm working toward changing that too.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
They also were opposed to Obamacare because they fundamentally and ideologically believe that a lower percentage of society should always either not have access to healthcare and/or if they have it, have to pay a large portion of their wages from earned income to secure it - thus ensuring that there is always a permanent economic underclass that is either shackled by large unpaid medical bills and/or barely surviving on a monthly basis due to extremely high premiums. Which allows for an almost permanent state of social stratification in the US.

Meanwhile corporations get billions in subsidies, financial sector 'bailouts' and the top 5% legally hide their money in trust funds prior to their deaths and their medical bills going unpaid even after probate court.

Now, with that being said. Obamacare aka the Affordable Care Act will fail when the smoke and mirrors and shell game that it is, is exposed. I can be critical of the real reasons that the Republicans are against the ACA while also stating objectively that the ACA is destined to fail because there is no way that it can be permanently and realistically funded at the level that it is supposed to operate at. That is just basic math.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'm kind of liking Obama, he's doing everything that helps me get richer You poor folks, not so much.

You see, the rich will make money in all kinds of economic climates. People like you will hold on to HOPE and you'll be disappointed in the end.

Obamacare, I might have to pay for your insurance now but I'm working toward changing that too.
He's the POTUS. The POTUS has to keep the 1% happy, or they inflict economic pain on the other 99%. It isn't partisan.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
The GOP doesn't like the ACA because it gives poor people better access to health care.

"Why do the poor deserve health care?"

Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
He's the POTUS. The POTUS has to keep the 1% happy, or they inflict economic pain on the other 99%. It isn't partisan.
Oh, now 1% are needed. That is NOT what Obama preached about during ANY of his campaigns. He called them evil.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
I thought they didn't like it because it was passed in a completely partisan manner without bring read. Silly me, the usual hyperpartisan Dem contrived "war on <insert group>" is a much more credible explanation.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Obamacare was supposed to provide insurance for every single American. Either through Medicaid or through the exchanges and backed up by a mandate and penalties for non-compliance. After Obamacare has been implemented, 9 million more people have insurance, and there are still 30+ million uninsured.

That's a failure by every standard that can be possibly conceived given the impetus for passing the law was to insure everyone.

That's not conjecture.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
We are Republican....we have enough money for the rest of our lives.

We were forced to take free Obamamcare.......to pay for insurance the way the questions were asked....we had to take Medicaid.

What a country!!!!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:54 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
It's only 2014. Single payer is the goal by around 2016-2017 when the fees for NOT having healthcare will be more expensive than getting insurance. It's too early to come to conclusions on ObamaCare.

I don't like it because government needs to be removed from the process. The price structure of health care is all out of whack. The solution is not to add more regulations, more overhead costs, more government control over our life decisions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies