Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Add Buffalo, NY as well. Detroit & Buffalo are the most populated international borders in the world. Oops
I used to live near Buffalo, talk about cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Another lib who doesn't understand statistics. The number of the population doesn't matter when comparing the crime rate. That's why the rate is expressed in crimes /100,000 people, it makes no difference if there are 1,000 or 1,000,000 people in the city when comparing the rate.

What are the odds there is a huge drop in "diversity" from Mid Michigan up to the Canadian border that goes along with the drop in crime? Or is it just that urbanites are more criminal than rural people?
SMH...if you're gonna have crime, there actually has to be a reason to commit a crime. Something to steal, someone to sell dope to, someone to rob (that has something worth robbing), someone to kill and a reason to kill them, someone to extort with something worth extorting, etc, etc....I could go on and on with that.

In other words, there is more to crime that simple stats. Stats don't tell any stories. They're just cold numbers.

Everyone and their mother knows that in America, rural people tend to be less criminal than urban people. You're not breaking any new ground with your race baiting. (i know that's what you're REALLY getting to...but nevermind)

Is there a huge drop in diversity the further north you go in Michigan? Yeah...but there's also a huge drop in everything thing else that most people find necessary to make a good living....or even a decent living. Simply put, there are few jobs and opportunities north of the MI-20. If you knew anything about Michigan (and you don't), you'd know this. That's why few people even bother to live up there.

But since you're into cold stats, fine. We can use that example too.

Probably the blackest city north of the MI-20 by percentage is Baldwin, Mi. It's 30% black....that's VERY black for a city as far north as that. That would be very black even by southern Michigan standards.

Baldwin's closest neighbor is Reed City, Mi. At 93% white, is about as white as most Michigan cities can get. Only 1.6% of their population is black. Nothing practically.

These two high schools play each other in sports, so they're pretty interconnected.

Crime rate? Lily white Reed City is a 22 on the crime index with 100 being the safest number. They have 32.17 crimes per 1000 residents with 4.2 violent crimes per 1k and 28 property crimes per 1k.

Much blacker Baldwin? They're 54 on the crime index...more than twice as safe as Reed City with 16.56 crimes per 1000 residents with .83 violent crimes per 1k and 15 property crimes per 1k people.

Do i attribute that to white people being more violent? No. Simply put, there's MORE ACTIVITY AND PEOPLE in Reed City and more trouble to get into. Reed City is more prosperous which is no surprise since whites tend to have a little more money. Money is almost ALWAYS the prime mover when it comes to crime.

Some of you guys have no street sense....all you know is stats. There are stories behind those stats.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:23 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
The typical right-wing interpretation of statistics; blame everything on diversity.

Black and brown people are more likely to committ crime because they are more likely to be poor and live in run down slums.

The population density factor is huge. I'm less likely to blow my neighbors head off if there is 5 acres of land between us.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The typical right-wing interpretation of statistics; blame everything on diversity.

Black and brown people are more likely to committ crime because they are more likely to be poor and live in run down slums.

The population density factor is huge. I'm less likely to blow my neighbors head off if there is 5 acres of land between us.
Yeah, i just used a tale of two cities in my post....one very black and one having hardly any blacks. And to make it fair, i made sure that the cities were right next to each other. To boot...both are in Northern Michigan where its cold....very cold.

I basically crushed the OP's argument in one fell swoop.

These people love looking at cold numbers without taking other factors into account.

In just about every far northern state, there's far more population, and therefore, more economic activity in the southern parts of the state.

More economic activity, more population, is obviously gonna lead to more crime regardless of race. That's a no brainer.

The whole damn nation of Canada has a population that lives pretty close to the United States border. That's where all the large urban areas are, and that's where most of the day to day economic activity is. So then it goes to follow that Toronto will be more diverse than Sudbury or Timmons. What black, brown or yellow person wants to live up in the icebox of the province? It also goes to follow that Toronto will have far more criminal activity as a percentage of the population because there's actually criminal stuff to do!!

Are minorities, especially blacks and hispanics more violent and commit crime at much higher rates? Hell yeah they are. But there are reasons for that. They often live in places where there are more criminal opportunities.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh, so now you conveniently admit that it's cold there.

And there isn't a huge drop in crime from Mid Michigan up to the Canadian border because of the weather....there's a huge drop in crime because hardly anyone lives north of the MI-20...and for good reason.

There's nothing to live up there for. Upstate is a wasteland. Few jobs, few opportunities, and nothing much to do. That is, unless you wanna sit in a trailer and listen to the farm report all day. Nothing but snow, fish hatcheries, vacation homes from downstaters, and cow dung.

The lone exception is Traverse City.

The age distribution is a lot different up north as well, and has a great deal to do with crime rates. Young people move away when they become adults, the people left are necessarily older than the ones who left. Not to mention that some people actually move to places like Traverse City to retire and to vacation. Also there are several retirement destinations along I-75 up north.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Of course, the only outliers are tropical Asian nations which have the same, or lower crime rates, than cold, white nations and states do. Russia is also the outlier in which it has a high crime rate, and it's also the coldest country in the world and pretty homogenous as far as demographics goes. Most of the country is majority ethnic Russian
Leave it to a flaming liberal to come forth and try to extrapolate data that is specific to the United States and apply it to world-wide geographical and crime parameters.

I swear to God, if liberals didn't have fundamental disingenuousness to prop up their failed ideology, they'd have NOTHING!

I'm embarrassed to share oxygen with you folks!

Old 06-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The age distribution is a lot different up north as well, and has a great deal to do with crime rates. Young people move away when they become adults, the people left are necessarily older than the ones who left. Not to mention that some people actually move to places like Traverse City to retire and to vacation. Also there are several retirement destinations along I-75 up north.
Of course! Again, the OP isn't TOTALLY wrong. I'm not one to deny a link to minorities and increased crime. We know the numbers.

But i have a feeling that the correlation you've drawn applies in most northern states. Nothing but old people mostly.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Alaska is 66.7% white - hardly "lilly white."

Alaska is also very male, which is what's driving its crime rate. I'm not aware that Alaska has any significant black or Hispanic population..

Old 06-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Leave it to a liberal to come forth and try to extrapolate data that is specific to the United States and apply it to world-wide geographical and crime parameters.

I swear to God, if liberals didn't have fundamental disingenuousness to prop up their failed ideology, they'd have NOTHING!

I'm embarrassed to share oxygen with you folks! What a friggen embarrassment.
My data didn't come from any other country. It came right from Michigan.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:40 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,054,963 times
Chicago shoots this whole theory. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies