Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
The government would just use it to prevent their enemies from voting. The US system of elections depended on the overwhelming mass of the people having honor and integrity. Without that you get what we have now.
What are you talking about? I was talking about people having more access to voting so that it makes it easier for busy Americans to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Something the left will never understand....
Something the right likes to pretend is only exclusive to them and makes exceptions for themselves when they break their honor and integrity.

Shall I get you a step stool for that high horse?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 AM

46,263 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you think voting should be limited and people should be denied to vote because they are registering too close to an election?
Who said that?

Quote:
That makes no sense, what about the teenage who just turned 18 and wants to vote or the person who just moved to a new state too close to an election and also wants to vote..
Or what about hte person who lived in the same place for 50 years?

You can what if the crap outa everything...

Quote:
Should they be denied the right to vote because you don't like same day registration? Sounds very anti freedom of you.
If you like freedom, you should be able to take one day outa your life to vote...

I mean, most of these people you are talking about of "of color" anyway...right, the old and the elderly...

Quote:
especially among people living in marginalized communities of color.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 AM

46,263 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Something the right likes to pretend is only exclusive to them and makes exceptions for themselves when they break their honor and integrity.

Shall I get you a step stool for that high horse?
I guess you missed my point in the other post about "it's on both sides of the isle"

But don't worry about what I really said...make up points as you go....that are no where near what I stated...how leftist of you...

Old 06-24-2014, 07:21 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,455 times
Quote:
So you think voting should be limited and people should be denied to vote because they are registering too close to an election? That makes no sense, what about the teenage who just turned 18 and wants to vote or the person who just moved to a new state too close to an election and also wants to vote. Should they be denied the right to vote because you don't like same day registration? Sounds very anti freedom of you.
It also removes the barriers to voting for out of state college students, which voter ID laws target. I wonder why those old white men don't want college students to vote?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Common Cause is pushing back, state by state, against the attacks on voters across the nation -- and Illinois is no exception. Common Cause Illinois (CCIL) achieved a victory last week for voters across the state. The major reforms in HB105, which established a 2014 Same Day Registration Pilot program, include:

Providing election day registration at specified universal sites in all 110 local election jurisdictions
Ending the requirement for photo identification during early voting
Extending early voting hours and grace period voting through the Sunday before Election Day
Requiring in-person absentee voting at numerous state universities

Common Cause believes the constitutional right to vote is the cornerstone of our democratic society. Therefore, it is imperative that we adopt reforms to increase turnout and participation rates; provide increased access to the ballot box; and create a culture of political engagement and involvement, especially among people living in marginalized communities of color.

Common Cause

Thirteen states plus the District of Columbia now have same day registration, a policy that has been shown to boost voter turnout by between 10% to 14%, especially among the young, the poor and minorities. Instead of disenfranchising voters, election day registration, along with an extended period for early voting, makes voting more accessible to a greater number of people. Which is how it should be. Good going, Illinois.
We do not need to boost voter turn out, because we already have so many politically ignorant people voting as it is. voting should be done only after you spend time understanding the issues, informing yourself about who the candidates are, what they stand for, and then casting your vote.

The lying, propagandist politicians who run deceitful campaign ads, are the ones who want as many half-wits running to the polls as possible. These folks would love it if people put less effort into voting, than they did going on Amazon.com and choosing which case they wanted for their new i-phone.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We do not need to boost voter turn out, because we already have so many politically ignorant people voting as it is. voting should be done only after you spend time understanding the issues, informing yourself about who the candidates are, what they stand for, and then casting your vote.

The lying, propagandist politicians who run deceitful campaign ads, are the ones who want as many half-wits running to the polls as possible. These folks would love it if people put less effort into voting, than they did going on Amazon.com and choosing which case they wanted for their new i-phone.
While that may be true, that is not outlined in the constitution.

Any "confirmation" tests of "understanding" are 100% unconstitutional. (see the 24th Amendment)

Old 06-24-2014, 07:37 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It also removes the barriers to voting for out of state college students, which voter ID laws target.
Utter BS. College students were already double voting before this. Absentee in their home state/location, and then again at their college location.

Four Wake residents charged with voting twice | abc11.com

After bragging on Facebook, man pleads guilty to voting in both Minnesota, Texas | Star Tribune

Many more...

Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
While that may be true, that is not outlined in the constitution.

Any "confirmation" tests of "understanding" are 100% unconstitutional. (see the 24th Amendment)
Where did I mention "confirmation" tests of "understanding?" Why do you just make stuff up?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Utter BS. College students were already double voting before this. Absentee in their home state/location, and then again at their college location.

Four Wake residents charged with voting twice | abc11.com

After bragging on Facebook, man pleads guilty to voting in both Minnesota, Texas | Star Tribune

Many more...
Do you think the same day voters will be required to show a photo ID or driver's license? Nah that'd be RACIST. Or can they just say "I'm Fred Smith, and I wanna vote" and the poll workers will hand them a ballot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies