Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,206 times

Advertisements

This is the one topic that I would think conservatives would be on board with Obama, yet somehow Conservatives are now in favor of legalizing pot. I think Obama is using reverse psychology on these dolts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
[quote=Xander_Crews;35381993] More lies. If I smoke cannabis in my house, it does NOT effect your tranquility or safety, but when you hire thugs to raid my home (Or my neighbors, they are notorious for getting the wrong house), that DEFINITELY gets rid of ANY tranquility or personal safety for myself.

You don't like those things or you wouldn't attempt to hire thugs to take them away from me.

More lies. You really have to twist logic to say that legalizing choices for adults on what they consume takes away tranquility or personal safety.... once you twist it that far, the same argument could be made for outlawing cars, air-horns, guns, cigarettes, booze, playing cards, etc....

Please explain to me how smoking cannabis in my home effects you... we have never even met.

[quote]

You or I smoking a doobie in the privacy of our own home does not threaten or harm anyone's safety.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Hmm, my quoted verifiable evidence says you are full of it:

'This Is Working': Portugal, 12 Years after Decriminalizing Drugs

Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal

Would you like to explain to us how drug use leads to crime? Drug use in those countries has DROPPED SIGNIFICANTLY. If they are seeing spikes in crime, it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with drug use. *Unless the claim is drugs = less crime.*.
It has been shown many times on this forum that those articles refer to a study done by a pro-legalization entity (CATO Institute), and they manipulated the outcome deliberately by picking only one age group, where the results helped support their agenda and omitted all other groups because the whole truth was the opposite of what they were selling.

Holland and Portugal have experimented with legalization/decriminalization, but crime did not go up, it skyrocketed.

The Holland (Dutch) Experiment

Holland has decriminalized drugs and tried harm reduction. Since the softening of drug policy there, shootings have increased 40%, robberies 62%, and car thefts 62%. This experiment which was meant to decrease organized crime has resulted in an increase in organized crime families from 3 in 1988 to 93 today.

The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%

The PortugueseExperiment

In Portugal, since decriminalization has been implemented, the number of homicides related to drugs has increased 40%. "It was the only European country with a significant increase in (drug-related) murders between 2001 and 2006" (WDR, 2009).

Heroin consumption rose 57.5% in recent years

At variance with what official agencies have recently disclosed, the problem of drug dependence in Portugal has never been more serious: Between 2001, the year the decriminalization law went into effect, and 2007, continued consumption of narcotics rose, in absolute terms, by 66%.

In this period In this period consumption increased 215% for cocaine, 85% for ecstasy, 57.5% for heroine and 37% for cannabis.. These data are from a report of the Institute of Drugs and Drug Dependence (IDT), published in 2008.

Since decriminalization there has been a 50% increase in drug use among young people between the ages of 20 and 24. On the other hand, the number of persons who have experimented with illicit drugs at least once rose from 7.8% in 2001 to 12% in 2007 (IDT Report of Activities of Nov 2008).

Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You or I smoking a doobie in the privacy of our own home does not threaten or harm anyone's safety.
No one said it did, but the path of the drug from its source to your living room is lined with bodies. But of course you do not care about that , do you.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hmmmm... I seem to recall that WA legalized pot. Did you not get the message?
You must be high. Well try this one more time

Just because something is legal doesn't mean you can sell it. Last time I checked, alcohol was still legal in Kentucky, but they still throw people in jail for moon-shining.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It has been shown many times on this forum that those articles refer to a study done by a pro-legalization entity (CATO Institute), and they manipulated the outcome deliberately by picking only one age group, where the results helped support their agenda and omitted all other groups because the whole truth was the opposite of what they were selling.

Holland and Portugal have experimented with legalization/decriminalization, but crime did not go up, it skyrocketed.

The Holland (Dutch) Experiment

Holland has decriminalized drugs and tried harm reduction. Since the softening of drug policy there, shootings have increased 40%, robberies 62%, and car thefts 62%. This experiment which was meant to decrease organized crime has resulted in an increase in organized crime families from 3 in 1988 to 93 today.

The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%

The PortugueseExperiment

In Portugal, since decriminalization has been implemented, the number of homicides related to drugs has increased 40%. "It was the only European country with a significant increase in (drug-related) murders between 2001 and 2006" (WDR, 2009).

Heroin consumption rose 57.5% in recent years

At variance with what official agencies have recently disclosed, the problem of drug dependence in Portugal has never been more serious: Between 2001, the year the decriminalization law went into effect, and 2007, continued consumption of narcotics rose, in absolute terms, by 66%.

In this period In this period consumption increased 215% for cocaine, 85% for ecstasy, 57.5% for heroine and 37% for cannabis.. These data are from a report of the Institute of Drugs and Drug Dependence (IDT), published in 2008.

Since decriminalization there has been a 50% increase in drug use among young people between the ages of 20 and 24. On the other hand, the number of persons who have experimented with illicit drugs at least once rose from 7.8% in 2001 to 12% in 2007 (IDT Report of Activities of Nov 2008).
Oh look, a bunch of nonsense without links so it can't be vetted. Big surprise there.

Also, you lie again, these numbers have NOTHING to do with the CATO institute, they are provided by The Institute of Drugs and Drugs Addiction. So, you fail again.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Didn't Obama say he would not oppose the states legalization of marijuana? But he continues to prosecute pot users in states that have legalized it.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Washington, based in Spokane, is not backing down in its multiple-felony case against four family members and a friend who tended a rural marijuana garden for what they say was personal medical use.

Holder's Spokane Visit Doesn't Dim Prosecutors' Zeal in Kettle Falls 5 Pot Case - US News

Why do we allow the federal government to tell adults what they can eat, drink or smoke?
And on the flip side, why does the federal government tell us what type of health insurance to buy/.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,010 times
Quote:
No one said it did, but the path of the drug from its source to your living room is lined with bodies. But of course you do not care about that , do you.
Bull crap.

If my neighbor grows it, and I buy it, you are a liar.

If my neighbor grows it, and a dispensary buys it, then sells it to me, you are a liar.

If cannabis is legal, you are a liar.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Prohibition will do that now won't it? We saw that with prohibition of alcohol which brought to us the likes of people like Al Capone. Gee thanks! Put an end to the senseless war on a plant, and put a serious dent in the black market once and for all! Or what's the matter, do you have skin in the game, and fear it will hurt your wallet? In that case find a new hobby. Furthermore, you have no idea where I get the small amount that I obtain, but here is a hint... it ain't from Mexico or any other Latin American country! Given that it does have the potential to grow everywhere around the world. I knew a guy in the neighborhood who grew a plant in the middle of this harsh winter by simply having it in the window to get sun, and dubbed it "polar vortex!" Nobody died, and no violent crimes were committed.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And on the flip side, why does the federal government tell us what type of health insurance to buy/.

They have no business doing that either! What a f***n' racket!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies