Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:43 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Roma children's bedtime stories say it's OK to steal. They were given permission by Jesus himself.
Canada slammed its doors shut to Gypsy immigration. Too many shoplifting rings, too many phony roofing and repaving companies.
Roma families are a huge issue in Holland due to the crimes that have been proven.

But I never heard the word Michelle used and it for sure doesn't sound as a compliment and even though I don't believe it is an issue as I don't see an issue with Sterlings remark made in a private setting (liberals will now explode!) I rather wait for the big hammer coming down on the people who allowed the IRS to do things they did, VA murders, etc.

That is a real issue. I don't even care about a lot of words that rappers use since if they can use them other people can use them too. That is just what they allowed by using them even though I would not use them and neither my family other than if we would sing along which we stopped doing years ago when we were done with that type of music aside from perhaps a few nice ones.

Again if they use it themselves than stop blaming others for using the same words.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 PM

5,173 posts, read 4,628,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
So according to you politically correct liberals Michelle should be booted out of the WH.

Look what you did to Sterling you ran him out of town.

First Lady Uses Racial Slur And Gets Away With It | The Daily Caller
Every time I read something like this, I sincerely hope it's the same cadre of retirees paid to type away at their keyboards all day to fan fake controversies. Unfortunately, I suspect there are a lot of them out there. You guys are holding back the species.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,846,790 times
Good thing she didn't remark about not being able to "Jew the Ki*e down" from the prices in his store.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:58 PM

12,938 posts, read 9,549,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I wonder how many people actually know what Indian Giver means or how it came about.
I don't know how it came about but, I always understood it as meaning to give a person something then wanting it back at a later time. I heard this growing up as a child mostly back in the day and hardly ever hear it these days.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,166,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I don't know how it came about but, I always understood it as meaning to give a person something then wanting it back at a later time. I heard this growing up as a child mostly back in the day and hardly ever hear it these days.
I was taught that an Indian Giver was a person that gave things to the Indians and then would take them back. Like signing a treaty etc and then taking back what had been given to the Indians. I googled it and the answer i got was the exact opposite.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 PM

52,219 posts, read 33,956,889 times
technically, 'gypped' is more of an ethnic slur.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,278,583 times
growing up, we used this term all time. However I learned long ago that it derived from "gypsy," and hence was now considered politically incorrect. I dropped it from my vocabulary. I'm surprised that someone as well-educated as Michelle Obama is so out of touch as to still be using it.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:12 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,573,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
growing up, we used this term all time. However I learned long ago that it derived from "gypsy," and hence was now considered politically incorrect. I dropped it from my vocabulary. I'm surprised that someone as well-educated as Michelle Obama is so out of touch as to still be using it.
Yeah, she really shouldn't use it, although there probably aren't enough gypsies around here to raise a fuss. I try not to be too judgemental about how other people use language. What irks me is mainly when people do the "I'm sorry my slur offended you" non-apology dance, where the speaker acts as though the whole concept of a racial slur is just over-PC-ness rather than an actual act that hurts people.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,983,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
At the corner store there were penny candies in the shape of babies. The candies were black and we called them 'ni**er babies, as in 'gimme three ni**er babies and two jawbreakers'.
My grandma called them tar babies - those licorice candies. She said they were called that because poor kids chewed on tar during the depression because they could not afford chewing gum and she also told me I should be grateful I could afford real candy

Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,893,533 times
Didn't you get the message OP?

Democrats can use racial slurs.

Having a (D) after their name or voting for someone who does gives them a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies