Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 06:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The problem with the Tea Party is that they are full of contradictions:

We are for less taxes! Yea!

We are for a balanced budget! Yea!

But we don't want to raise taxes to balance the budget! Yea!

We have to cut government programs! Yea!
JFK understood how this works.

Quote:
We have to cut Medicare and Social Security! Ye..I mean not so fast..Let's think about it....
Let's do. You don't really think they are being run any better than the VA do you?

Quote:
Keep your government hands off my Medicare! Yea...I think, I don't know, is Medicare a government program? I don't know....
Stop making people pay for it out of every check and they could afford something else. Do you plan to give your car back to the manufacturer after you are done paying for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The Fed under Bush could have stopped it at any time. All they had to do was start taking the actions that would raise rates. Bush could not allow this to happen as he had to finance his wars.
that would not have stopped the problem, only changing the rules would have stopped the problem, and that required the efforts of congress.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Incumbents usually do win, they have distinct advantages. Even in the massive, historical turnover election of 2010, I think 85% of all incumbents were reelected.
Yeah, the establishments of both parties have a huge advantage. But a hostile takeover of the GOP isn't likely going to happen. Tea Partiers just have to win more elections.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 PM

89,016 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
You can make the argument that it's unethical.

But it won't be enforced.
Class action lawsuit. Those now legally disenfranchised Black Democrat voters could make a bundle.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Not that I support the Patriot Act, but please tell us how your freedom has been impacted by it.
Does it have to be about me? Blacks weren't allowed to vote at one time. If I was white and that didn't directly affect me I shouldn't have been for allowing them the right to vote?

Just because I personally haven't had someone feel me up while waiting to get on a plane I can't be against this happening to others?

I shouldn't have an opinion on the supreme court ruling that the police can't search your phone without a warrant because it hasn't happened to me?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Class action lawsuit. Those now legally disenfranchised Black Democrat voters could make a bundle.
Go for it. It won't go anywhere and the results of the election won't be overturned. You might stop a future candidate from trying that again, but it won't have any effect on the outcome of this year's election.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that would not have stopped the problem, only changing the rules would have stopped the problem, and that required the efforts of congress.
It would have stopped it. It would have popped the bubble earlier or not have allowed it to form.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
JFK understood how this works.
But apparently Ronald Reagan did not. His less taxes and less government resulted in a massive budget deficit. Trickle down did not work then and will not work for the Tea Party no matter how they may wish otherwise.

Quote:
Let's do. You don't really think they are being run any better than the VA do you?
Strawman argument and totally a non sequitur. Medicare and Social Security are some of the best run government programs no matter what the right thinks. However, I'd like to see if the Tea Party candidates have the guts of their convictions and tell the American people they need to get rid of those programs. Let's see the reaction at the polls.

Quote:
Stop making people pay for it out of every check and they could afford something else. Do you plan to give your car back to the manufacturer after you are done paying for it?
Medicare works and works very well. Even senior citizen Tea Partiers know that.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Does it have to be about me? Blacks weren't allowed to vote at one time. If I was white and that didn't directly affect me I shouldn't have been for allowing them the right to vote?

Just because I personally haven't had someone feel me up while waiting to get on a plane I can't be against this happening to others?

I shouldn't have an opinion on the supreme court ruling that the police can't search your phone without a warrant because it hasn't happened to me?
Here we have someone else who is confused by the meaning of freedom. Here's a clue. Speech, press, et. al., are freedoms, which is why we say freedom of speech. Privacy is a right, but it is not a freedom, which is why we say right to privacy. The only people whose freedom is effected by loss of privacy are criminals. You may not like being watched, but it does not restrict any of your freedoms.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Cochran sure seems to love them.

Or did he just trick and use them?
I think voters themselves are the best determiners of their political interests. Politicians make all kinds of appeals to all kinds of voters with the express purpose of getting those voters to cast ballots for them.

Sometimes in the hindsight voters regret their vote and feel trick and misled. Other times they cheer their vote for a candidate, mostly they probably feel nothing either way for the candidates they voted for.

But again I leave that determination to the voters who cast their ballots to decide for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies