Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
In all honesty, I'm probably far more of a treehugger than you. I ride a bicycle as much as I can. I live in a small house(864 sqft). I am obsessed with insulation and efficiency. And I am actually working right now on a solar water(I upgraded to a tankless waterheater because it was much higher efficiency, and I'm using my old water heater tank).

I had a motorcycle that I grannied and got around ~80 mpg, but someone stole it.

Suzuki DR200SE Mileage | Fuelly

I'm planning on buying another motorcycle soon that is a bit more practical for longer drives, but I think if I granny it I'll still get around 65-70 mpg(a scooter is impractical).

Buell Blast Mileage | Fuelly

I read Treehugger and technica regularly. I've spent a lot of time researching electric everything. Because I've wanted to convert a bicycle to electric drive.

And at some point, I am going to make a rocket mass heater for my house here.

My problem with the AGW debate isn't based on some idea that I want everyone to drive hummers. It actually annoys and even angers me a bit when I see people in wasteful vehicles. I hate the way cars even smell, especially when I'm out walking or riding my bicycle and that nasty petroleum smell fills the air.

The only reason I am opposed to the global-warming crowd, is two reasons. First, I think they use deceit and manipulation instead of honesty. The science is far far far from complete, which is why the predictions are always so terribly inaccurate. And the biggest reason I oppose drastic action on climate-change. I believe that the ones who will ultimately suffer from any action we take, are the poor.

The type of people pushing AGW are all a bunch of wealthy white condescending jerks, who don't mind blowing a bunch of extra cash on "organic" food at whole foods. They also like to blow a bunch of extra cash on things like "fairtrade" coffee. On Tesla's or Prius'. While refusing to recognize that if the economics made sense to buy these kinds of vehicles, or to put solar panels on their houses, that people would just do it.

Fair trade coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These AGW liberals are just delusional when it comes to how the actual world works. They live in a bubble world, drinking only small-batch beer, and designer wines. With no concept of how the poor actually live. Never even questioning why it is that the poor at best don't give a crap about AGW, and at worst, are the ones most opposed to the AGW crazies.

For instance, Obama said he wanted to double or triple the cost of energy, to address a problem that either may not exist, or may not be anywhere near as bad as we think, or may even be helpful. The ones who will suffer from a tripling of energy costs will be the ones who struggle the most to pay their energy bills as it is.

This idea that raising the price of gasoline to $10 a gallon is going to hurt the wealthy is stupid. It will effectively strip away the ability of anyone with a low income to drive a car.

In truth, what I advocate would do far more to end global warming than anything ever proposed by the political left. The policies of the political left, in my opinion, are largely counterproductive to their stated goals.
Excellent post. I drive a diesel Jetta that is right at the top of the greeny list. I also love small displacement high mpg bikes. I'm currently getting my Honda M50 road ready for around town. I really like the idea of wind and solar energy.

Its too bad that people like the OP sets progress back as opposed to forward with their doom and gloom prophesies.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Unless I miss my guess the Deepwater Horizon was NOT an ethanol still. Nor was it a wood gasification rig. Rbohm says he can make ethanol. I didn't say he couldn't', I said he won't. The U.S. will not do any of the cool things to make energy that you guys talk about when oil gets scarce. We will go to war. That's what we do. It will be messy. Lives will be lost.

Gloom and doom? I'm not gloomy enough. Stick your head in the sand and imagine that things aren't as bad as they really are if it makes you feel better. Just don't try to slow my roll. We will adapt... we adapted so well to Katrina that we were quite ready for Sandy. We learned so much from 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl that Fukishima didn't so much as require an evacuation. Humanity really is up to anything and everything. We have nothing to worry about.

Tell me something. You all can't be 40 year old virgins. Some of you must have children. When their liberal teachers tell them what your 1% masters are doing to their environment and their future... what do you tell them? I'd really like to hear this.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Unless I miss my guess the Deepwater Horizon was NOT an ethanol still. Nor was it a wood gasification rig. Rbohm says he can make ethanol. I didn't say he couldn't', I said he won't. The U.S. will not do any of the cool things to make energy that you guys talk about when oil gets scarce. We will go to war. That's what we do. It will be messy. Lives will be lost.

Gloom and doom? I'm not gloomy enough. Stick your head in the sand and imagine that things aren't as bad as they really are if it makes you feel better. Just don't try to slow my roll. We will adapt... we adapted so well to Katrina that we were quite ready for Sandy. We learned so much from 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl that Fukishima didn't so much as require an evacuation. Humanity really is up to anything and everything. We have nothing to worry about.

Tell me something. You all can't be 40 year old virgins. Some of you must have children. When their liberal teachers tell them what your 1% masters are doing to their environment and their future... what do you tell them? I'd really like to hear this.
how do you know what i will or wont do? you have a crystal ball? or perhaps you are having me followed? the fact is that you dont have a clue what i will or wont do should oil run out.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

Amen and pass the plate.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:33 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Thanks for the laughs!

Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm no denier, but to say that humans will be extinct in 100 years is way over the top...I know of no science that even hints at this...

the human species wont be extinct, but we will have been totally beat up from our own doing.. and it will go far beyond global climate change..

Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
the human species wont be extinct, but we will have been totally beat up from our own doing.. and it will go far beyond global climate change..
I agree that it could get really bad....People will fight to survive as always.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I agree that it could get really bad....People will fight to survive as always.
and use technology as part of that fight.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
As I noted, Godzilla. You've been warned. All peer reviewed scientists agree.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
lets look at facts:

1. its scientifically proven that climate has changed many, many times

2. and yet NOT ONE scientist has proven MANMADE global warming

3. our co2 levels are currently around 390ppm (most measurements are 350ppm to 420ppm

4. co2 levels were over 700 ppm 50 thousand years ago

5. science shows...the ideal co2 ppm for most plants is....700-1500 ppm

Quote:
***** The air's CO2 content rises, most plants exhibit increased rates of net photosynthesis and biomass production. Moreover, on a per-unit-leaf-area basis, plants exposed to elevated CO2 concentrations are likely to lose less water via transpiration, as they tend to display lower stomatal conductance. Hence, the amount of carbon gained per unit of water lost per unit leaf area - or water-use efficiency - should increase dramatically as the air's CO2 content rises. In the study of Serraj et al. (1999), soybeans grown at 700 ppm CO2 displayed 10 to 25% reductions in total water loss while simultaneously exhibiting increases in dry weight of as much as 33%. Thus, elevated CO2 significantly increased the water-use efficiencies of the studied plants.

In summary, it is clear that as the CO2 content of the air continues to rise, nearly all of earth's agricultural species will respond favorably by exhibiting increases in water-use efficiency. It is thus likely that food and fiber production will increase on a worldwide basis, even in areas where productivity is severely restricted due to limited availability of soil moisture. Therefore, one can expect global agricultural productivity to rise in tandem with future increases in the atmosphere's CO2 concentration.*****
6. so more co2 is actually GREENER...its not theory, its scientific fact...that's why most greenhouse use a CO2 GENERATOR to increase the co2 within the greenhouse

7. science shows that humans use oxygen and expel (exhale) co2

8. science shows that greenery (plantlife) uses co2 and expels o2

science shows that co2 levels have been 3 times HIGHER than they are today, in the past (ie the co2 375 of today is is much lower than the 750-800 that co2 levels were 50-100,000 years ago

9. science shows us that ANTARTICA was once a lush fertile land, not covered in ice

10. science shows us that Greenland was once a green lush fertile land, not covered with ice

11. science shows us that GLACIERS created many of the geographical features that we look at today (ie Long Island was made by the lower reaching of glaciers, the great lakes were created by glaciers, the grand canyon was created by glacial melting)

and just what ""action"" should we do

****we could stop using any and all fossil / carbon fuels (to include wood, coal) and it would not change a thing

**** should you kill 70% of the worlds population??? we have 7 billion people breathing and farting contributing to the co2/methane

**** should humans not build to live???

sorry you cant fight nature...nature always wins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies