Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's worse than I thought. 59% increase in pot related emergency room visits and 14% increase in admissions....... The potency of the drug has increased, which is believed to have led to the increased addiction rates and need for treatment.
Federal statistics gathered by the Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) do indicate an increase in the number of people “mentioning” marijuana during hospital emergency room visits. (This increase is hardly unique to marijuana however, as the overall number of drug mentions has risen dramatically since the late 1980s – likely due to improved federal reporting procedures.)44 However, a marijuana “mention” does not mean that marijuana caused the hospital visit or that it was a factor in leading to the ER episode, only that the patient said that he or she had used marijuana previously.45
For every emergency room visit related to drug use (so-called “drug abuse episodes”), hospital staff list up to five drugs the patient reports having used recently, regardless of whether or not their use of the drug caused the visit. The frequency with which any drug is mentioned in such visits is generally proportional to its frequency of use, irrespective of its inherent dangers.

Although admissions to drug rehabilitation clinics among marijuana users have increased dramatically since the mid-1990s, this rise in marijuana admissions is due to a proportional increase in the number of people arrested by law enforcement for marijuana violations and subsequently referred to drug treatment by the criminal justice system.28 Primarily, these are young people arrested for minor possession offenses,29 brought before a criminal judge (or drug court), and ordered to rehabilitation in lieu of jail or juvenile detention. As such, this data is in no way indicative of whether the person referred to treatment is suffering from any symptoms of dependence associated with marijuana use; most individuals are ordered to attend supervised drug treatment simply to avoid jail time. In fact, since 1995, the proportion of admissions from all sources other than the criminal justice system has actually declined, according to the federal Drug and Alcohol Services Information System (DASIS).30 Consequently, DASIS now reports that 58 percent of all marijuana admissions are through the criminal justice system.

Your Government Is Lying To You (Again) About Marijuana

Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
[quote=Finn_Jarber;35412810]The failure of your argument stems from the fact that mainstream media is pro-pot, not against it. Have you watched CNN? They can't stop praising pot. Or FOX who promote the legalization because it is a tea party talking point. Reuters in the OP is not trying to push either view, they are simply reporting the findings in the study.[/QUOTE

Reuters= mainstream news, media is simply pro hype. I don't buy your over the top libs vs cons views anymore than I buy the media's attempts to get that fire going whenever they can. Did I say that this story was "pushed? The "findings" that have you so upset are the stuff of media hype, period. But after reading a number of your posts I imagine you diligently sifting through the various media looking for those articles that seem to convince you of that which you are already pretty sure of. Pot is here in the legal realm, and while that doesn't set right with you, most of America sees it as just another substance that will be needing regulation, another thing that gets you pretty riled up I'd imagine.......

Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I am aware of that. It came under FDR's watch. That is why I laugh when so called "conservatives" use the misconception that legalizing pot is exclusively a liberal stance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And weed was made a Schedule One Controlled Substance, placed on a par with heroin , under one of the slimiest of Republicans, Tricky He's Still A Dick Nixon.
are you two seriously suggesting that EITHER of these two presidents were conservative?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
are you two seriously suggesting that EITHER of these two presidents were conservative?

Where did you get that? No way in HELL was FDR a conservative. Neither was Nixon. He may have had an (R) in his name, but given that he was instrumental in stepping up the war on weed, he was no conservative.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Reuters= mainstream news, media is simply pro hype. I don't buy your over the top libs vs cons views anymore than I buy the media's attempts to get that fire going whenever they can. Did I say that this story was "pushed? The "findings" that have you so upset are the stuff of media hype, period. .......
Where is the hype you keep talking about, because I only seen this one article, and it is not even a US source? As a matter of fact the complete silence in the US Mainstream Media should be more telling than anything. Why do you think the media is silent? It seems the opposite of what you say is true.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The legalization in CO and WA and all the pro-drug propaganda is taking its toll. More Americans are using, especially the youth, and as a result more people seek treatment for cannabis related disorders.

More Americans use cannabis, seek treatment: U.N. drugs agency | Reuters

More Americans are consuming cannabis as their perception of the health risks declines, the U.N. drugs and crime agency said on Thursday, suggesting legalization may further increase its use among the young.

In a finding that could feed into an international debate on the decriminalize of marijuana, it said more people around the world, including in North America, were seeking treatment for cannabis-related disorders.

Research suggests that declining risk perception and increased availability can lead to wider use and to more young people being introduced to the drug, the UNODC said.

Global cannabis use seemed to have decreased, it said, reflecting a decline in some European countries. "However, in the United States, the lower perceived risk of cannabis use has led to an increase in its use,"
Although the general public may perceive cannabis to be the least harmful illicit drug, there has been a noticeable increase in the number of persons seeking treatment for cannabis use disorders over the past decade,"
Marijuana Now the Most Popular Drug in the World | TIME.com

Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
i havent tried heroin, or cocaine, but i know they are bad for me. i dont have to try mj to know its bad for one. like cigarettes you have to inhale the smoke into the lungs, and the body does not like that. remember the first time you smoked it? remember trying to cough up a lung? thats your body telling you that something bad is invading it.
That's fine. You don't like it. I do. Don't lock me up for our differences in taste.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Where did you get that? No way in HELL was FDR a conservative. Neither was Nixon. He may have had an (R) in his name, but given that he was instrumental in stepping up the war on weed, he was no conservative.

Nixon was probably a little to the left of Obama. Nixon enacted wage and price controls, which I don't think Obama would try (other than with respect to the minimum wage law). Marijuana was perfectly legal for over 100 years until the Harrison Act of 1914, which was signed into law by progressive Democrat Woodrow Wilson.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:41 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
It does not matter. Let's not pretend legalization is 100% conservative idea, because it is not. Socially liberal conservatives support it, while social conservatives oppose it.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
F you. I'm going out to light a bowl and let you Yahoos debate this silly topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies