Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:23 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

You don't know the whole story here, there are 2 sides to every story, I'm sorry this dog is dead, but again, I state, if it were me and the dog was attacking me, I'd kill the dog to.

My son is a cop and he isn't like this, and NOT ALL COPS are wrong or bad....period. This whole thing is really sad, that human beings turn on each other like this...
I don't think anyone said that all cops were bad? Did we?

Now I know why your upset it makes sense.

I guess we will agree to disagree...

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-30-2014 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted portion of quote and direct responses to those portions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Seems to me pepper spray would have been enough...
Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't pepper spray the owner.

Cops take too much lip these days.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 06-30-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Everyone makes mistakes. Like doctors and nurses killing 100,000's of people a year with medical mistakes. Or airplane pilots making mistakes and killing their passengers. Or careless drivers killing 1,000's of people a year. And since police officers are (human beings) they also make mistakes.

The police officer was looking for a missing child, and he thought the child was in that backyard. The police officer was concerned for the safety of a child, and he killed a dog to carry out his duties.

Police officers need to kill dogs sometimes, and if you ever saw a video of dogs killing a person you would understand why. Police often need to enter properties instantly to carry out their duties, and when the choice comes to choose a humans life or a dogs life, the police choose to save the human life.

I love dogs more than most, but I would shoot any dog in the quest to save a child's life.
Guess what? The child wasn't even in that yard. I think there have been just one too many instances of a police officer shooting a dog that was completely uncalled for. The masses are starting to finally get pi$$ed off. It was completely unnecessary to shoot this dog and the officer should be formally reprimanded, sued, whatever, until we get the point across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
He had zero need to kill the dog. He should be prosecuted.
Quote:
Yes I would be upset, but I would not act like a disrespectful whiny idiot. The man should have calmly asked what happened, and then asked for the officers name. Then he should have went to the police station and talked to high ranking police officers. And if that did not work he should have talked to the police chief.

Police officers are here to enforce our laws and keep our families safe. And I honestly can't see how anyone could believe that kind of disrespect to our law enforcement officers is acceptable.
Disrespect is a two way street.

Quote:
Should doctors and nurses be prosecuted when their medical mistakes kill their patients?
Should careless drivers be prosecuted when they accidently kill someone in a traffic accident?
News flash! They ARE prosecuted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
I'm surprised by the number of posts/threads on blaming the human for self defense against dog attacks.

I like dogs, but I don't consider them as high as humans on importance.

When a person has to defend themselves against a dog attack, A DOG THAT CAN KILL, that person should not be punished for what they do to the dog to survive the attack.

Yeah, I know, some of you are going to FREAK OUT, CRY FOUL, ETC. But, hey, what's more important here?

Just to put things in perspective for all you over-pampered Americans that need to blame the cop, FedEx driver, etc; in some parts of the world, they eat dog to survive.
Here's the question ~ was the officer being attacked? God forbid my little yorkie should bark and scare a skittish police officer. She might get her tiny throat slit.

It's just getting to be a bit much.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Here's the question ~ was the officer being attacked? God forbid my little yorkie should bark and scare a skittish police officer. She might get her tiny throat slit.

It's just getting to be a bit much.
Cops aren't allowed to discriminate between breeds.

Dogs are killers!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:11 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:

The owner is very lucky he wasn't arrested for carrying on the way he did. I can undersstand his grief, really I can, and it is very sad....but he is very lucky they didn't taze him for how he spoke to them.
I don't think the owner feels lucky. The officers the owner was talking to handled the emotional situation very well. They understood this man was in shock and in a lot of pain. Why in the world would you believe they should have tazed him?

Old 06-30-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Cops aren't allowed to discriminate between breeds.

Dogs are killers!
Cops are killers, that is!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:16 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Cops are killers, that is!
Considering that there are more dogs than COPs, and fewer deaths by dog than by COP, I would say dogs hold the moral high ground. You are statistically far more likely to be killed by a COP than a dog.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Quote:
The man put the dog in his back yard, while at work....
The dog could have dug out or chewed thru the fence...
that puts others in danger....I would have never ever left my dogs out in the yard, unsurpervised all day while I was at work. Ever! There is always that chance they could get out....

I wonder, did he have water out there for the dog? Salt Lake City gets pretty hot, doesn't it?
The owner would not have put the dog in the backyard if the dog could have escaped. All but the worst owners know their dog and if they're capable of escaping or not and take appropriate measures. Just how strong do you think dogs are that they can just arbitrarily chew through fences??? You seem to have a very twisted mindset on what a dog is. You do know that a dog is a *small* four-legged creature typically less than 120lbs that has been domesticated for centuries? We aren't talking about a grizzly bear.
Quote:
Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't pepper spray the owner.

Cops take too much lip these days.
Care to cite what statue allows cops to randomly taze/spray people they don't like? Oh wait, you can't, because there isn't, and the cop WOULD be prosecuted for that. Though admittedly with cases like Kelly Thomas where they get away with murder, maybe they wouldn't.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The owner would not have put the dog in the backyard if the dog could have escaped. All but the worst owners know their dog and if they're capable of escaping or not and take appropriate measures.
You are absolutely right, of course. To make certain my dogs stayed confined to the house or backyard, I attached chicken-wire fencing to the bottom of my fenced yard with half of the chicken-wire fence buried into the ground. While my dogs do like to dig, they have never attempted to dig around the fence area. In the 11 years I have lived at my home, not one of my dogs has ever escaped.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post

Care to cite what statue allows cops to randomly taze/spray people they don't like? Oh wait, you can't, because there isn't, and the cop WOULD be prosecuted for that.
Prosecuted with pay, and promotion, Dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies