Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

I agree with the ruling based on the law.

However, the ignorant fools at Hobby Lobby need to take a human fetal development class so they can understand that life does not begin at conception. It doesn't even say that in the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Lol....so the court should have simply decided to disregard Constitutional rights because acknowledging them would cause further ramifications?

Is this seriously your position?
I was responding to your previously posted flawed analogy, not to how to do a proper constitutional analysis. You asked if a person runs into a crowd of people injuring many whose fault is it. My response was simply that this decision was not a sudden ill thought out outcome, but one of reflection and analysis.

To read into what I wrote as "disregard [of] Constitutional rights because acknowledging them would cause further ramifications" is reading into my words an interpretation that does not exist. Much like the Roberts Court did in the Hobby Lobby decision regarding the RFRA.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I was responding to your previously posted flawed analogy, not to how to do a proper constitutional analysis. You asked if a person runs into a crowd of people injuring many whose fault is it. My response was simply that this decision was not a sudden ill thought out outcome, but one of reflection and analysis.

if he had planned it the lawyers are still going to swarm. Whose fault is that?

Quote:
To read into what I wrote as "disregard [of] Constitutional rights because acknowledging them would cause further ramifications" is reading into my words an interpretation that does not exist. Much like the Roberts Court did in the Hobby Lobby decision regarding the RFRA.
Your opinion is noted.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I agree with the ruling based on the law.

However, the ignorant fools at Hobby Lobby need to take a human fetal development class so they can understand that life does not begin at conception. It doesn't even say that in the bible.
Everyone draws the line for when they think life begins. At some point, everyone decides for themselves when that lump of cells is an actual developing human being.

So tell us, when do you think the developing baby is an actual person. I'll guarantee you that whatever your answer is, someone else will call you an ignorant fool who needs go back to biology class.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
I was taught, long before Roe v, Wade made it an issue, that life began at conception. Amazing how liberals ignore basic scientific facts.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I was taught, long before Roe v, Wade made it an issue, that life began at conception. Amazing how liberals ignore basic scientific facts.
They go by court rulings and what the government says.

Life can't begin at conception because of abortion.
So life "begins" when the government says it begins making abortion a legal way to get rid of a "non human" blob.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Everyone draws the line for when they think life begins. At some point, everyone decides for themselves when that lump of cells is an actual developing human being.

So tell us, when do you think the developing baby is an actual person. I'll guarantee you that whatever your answer is, someone else will call you an ignorant fool who needs go back to biology class.
That's the uncomfortable question that everyone has to answer if they have an opinion on the matter; the question is essentially "at what point of development do you believe it's no longer ethical for the mother to kill her unborn child?" Drawing that line shows where you believe it becomes a human being with its own rights, which is why the question is often deflected and the answer becomes "that's the mother's decision."

Old 07-01-2014, 08:32 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
This is good, but it doesn't make up for the punishing of small businesses being forced to bake a cake or photograph a wedding that is against their religious beliefs.

I'm surprised the decision went this way, religious freedom has been under attack.

HL does cover standard contraception, for bc and for other medical problems, and tubals and vasectomies. A lot of people don't seem to understand this, as they are arguing that women don't have access to bc here and they do. If they choose IUD or morning after pill, they can still have them, they just won't be covered by the employer. The MA pill is available OTC so probably not covered under insurance anyway. The $35 for the pill is less than my co-payment for one doctor's office visit. It is emergency contraception so not for regular use, and pretty darn cheap compared to most medications that people need for medical conditions.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
That's the uncomfortable question that everyone has to answer if they have an opinion on the matter; the question is essentially "at what point of development do you believe it's no longer ethical for the mother to kill her unborn child?" Drawing that line shows where you believe it becomes a human being with its own rights, which is why the question is often deflected and the answer becomes "that's the mother's decision."
It also depends on the circumstances.

Our laws are wishy washy.

A pregnant woman at any stage can get benefits for 2 people.
Kill a pregnant woman at any stage and you get charged with 2 murders.
But abortion..well it's not really a human until "xxx weeks".

Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
To some people, it's seven or so months old, when the fetus/baby can survive out of the womb.

To others it's after the second trimester, when pregnancy loss is statistically uncommon, and if the baby is not aborted, it will go full term.

People on one extreme side of this issue view the embryo or even the zygote as a developing human being, and if everything goes alright it has the potential to go full term.

People on another extreme view a nine month old fetus as a non human, because it has not taken it's first breath of air. Even more extreme views of people, are that even immediately after birth, a baby is still not a human being with the right to life, if the mother still wants it dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies