Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,273,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think it's a good ruling because I agree with the court when it ruled that if the government wants something done like this they have the ability to do it themselves and they shouldn't try to force others to do what they will not.

I supported single payer and supported paying for it by bringing the troops home and ending the wars. If this ruling gets us closer to that end, I say great. Does that make me a conservative? Because if so, you need to become one.
Nonsense, the supreme court decision makes no logical sense. They narrowly defined this exemption to basically only companies like hobby lobby and only on birth control. How can a law on religious freedom only apply to certain companies and only on birth control as the court says? The court specifically said that blood transfusions and other medical treatments will have to be covered under federal law even if companies have religious objections

So the court didn't say that the federal government couldn't force hobby lobby to cover or other companies to cover things medical treatments in their employees health insurance that they objected to on religious grounds in fact in its decision the court rejected certain religious objections on federally mandated health instance coverage for some medical procedures, but said this only applies to birth control.

So the court is saying that birth control is this special category that allows companies to violate federal law and this violation of federal law is only allowed in companies like hobby lobby on birth control.

This ruling is terrible. It really makes no logical sense at all.

So that argument that the courts make about the government just paying for this birth control is under cut by the majorities own decision in which it says but the government can force companies to cover blood transfusions and other treatments despite religious objections.

Your political ideology is yours to determine.

Last edited by Iamme73; 07-01-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
They are not against birth control. Where in the hell did you get that from? They are against forcing religious based companies to pay for birth control. Employers have always be able to decide what was covered and what was not depending on the plan you choose...

I just do not understand the Liberal way of thinking were they believe it's other people's responsibility to give them something for free or to provide a service, and when others choose not to, they some how believe their rights have some how been violated.
The whole case was anti-birth control. That's what the dispute was about. The Supreme Court in its decision said this case was only about birth control and that the decision didn't apply to other religious objections to certain medical procedures like blood transfusions.

So yes the decision placed birth control in this special box and the Supreme Court's decision said that it's ok for a company like hobby lobby to deem birth control immoral and therefore objectionable on religious grounds, but not ok for any company to deem blood transfusions immoral and therefore objectionable on religious grounds. So yes the case was completely anti- birth control.

You are wrong health insurance plans have rules from the govnment for coverage. So in fact government regulations control certain aspects of health insurance, but more importantly, health insurance is an employee's compensation.

It is an employee's money that is being spent when an employer buys a health insurance policy.

A company cannot tell me how to spend my money.

The money the company spends on health insurance is that employee's own salary that is being used to buy that employee's own health insurance.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,708,613 times
I don't care who the Democrats run. I'm voting a straight ticket. We've got to get some better justices on the SC.

Millions of women now feel the same way. Good job, GOP!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,214,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
I don't care who the Democrats run. I'm voting a straight ticket. We've got to get some better justices on the SC.

Vote your guy into office and advocate we go full communist.
Get rid of Congress and the Supreme Court.
Let your guy be sole ruler of the US.
Nationalize all business and pay "fair wages" with 100% free health insurance and a host of other "fair" benefits.

Why moan and groan about how the other side keeps obstructing you ?
Just go full bore communist, one party, one man rule ?

Old 07-01-2014, 09:19 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,033,676 times
Please provide your definition of what a 'better' justice is? How one becomes better? What makes a justice not better?
Quote:

Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I really hope this decision illustrates to more Americans the radicalism of the conservative party.

I generally don't criticize Supreme Court decisions, because I don't know the law.

But this ruling makes no sense at all. Look if the Supreme Court would have decided all companies are people and therefore they can opt out of covering any medical treatment on religious grounds, that would be extremely radical, but would be a consistent thought process in the decision.

If the courts would have decided that companies aren't people and can't have religious beliefs that'd make sense.

But what the court did was to say only certain companies like hobby lobby can violate federal law based on religious objections to birth control and only birth control, but the court in its own decision rejected any company refusing to cover blood transfusions and other medical treatment on the basis of religious freedom.

It is a decision that makes no logical sense. Is pro plutocracy with conservatives yet again deciding that corporations are people for the second time.

It is a thoroughly anti- birth control decision because it places birth control in this special category that can be deemed immoral and rejected on religious grounds, while specifically saying that doesn't apply to other medical treatments.

And finally it is more proof that conservatives want to control the sexual behavior of women.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 AM

262 posts, read 154,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The same conservatives that decry the "activism" of liberal courts now applaud the "activism" of conservative courts. There is a certain hypocrisy to say you're against activism in one context and for it in another. The court's activism in this case was in its finding that the Religious Freedom Restoration Act applies to corporations. The Act obviously did not apply to corporations but only to individuals, so the Robert's court had to read into the law that it applied to corporations.

This decision is a lawyers dream outcome. It will engender a whole litany of lawsuits. Whether you are Athiest, Muslim, Jewish, Penacostal, Scientologist, etc., you now have a basis to opt out of law that does not measure up to your religious beliefs. The Court may write it does not, but it does. Stay tuned. This decision has the potential to wreak havoc.
You have just explained why it is so necessary to impose "tort reform" on these run-away lawyers that I label "ambulance chasers." They absolutely disgust me and I label them greedy, anti-American cruds. Add to that that insurance must be available throughout the entire US to all instead of this corrupt crap of limited within States which takes away free-enterprise competition.

But the real solution to the AHC mess is to rescind the whole dam*d disaster of a so-called law and keep the Federal government out of our health care. I say so-called since it is now basically been mess with by Obama illegally with all his "changes" that were never passed by Congress as is mandatory. This law was passed by all the Dems in Congress with no Republican votes. Republicans saw what a disaster this would be and refused to vote for same.

In addition, anything to do with health care, especially for the welfare area, must be in the hands of the States...not Federal Government. No citizen can get away from Federal interference. When States are in charge of all but what our Constitution allows the Feds, one can simply escape burdensome crap by moving to another State. This puts States in competition for their citizens tax dollars which supports that State and goes a long way toward keeping politicians from making very stupid laws, which seems to be becoming the norm.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 AM

262 posts, read 154,495 times
Quote:

Ahhh, so you have not regard for our Constitution. How sad!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,192,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I really hope this decision illustrates to more Americans the radicalism of the conservative party.

I generally don't criticize Supreme Court decisions, because I don't know the law.

But this ruling makes no sense at all. Look if the Supreme Court would have decided all companies are people and therefore they can opt out of covering any medical treatment on religious grounds, that would be extremely radical, but would be a consistent thought process in the decision.

If the courts would have decided that companies aren't people and can't have religious beliefs that'd make sense.

But what the court did was to say only certain companies like hobby lobby can violate federal law based on religious objections to birth control and only birth control, but the court in its own decision rejected any company refusing to cover blood transfusions and other medical treatment on the basis of religious freedom.

It is a decision that makes no logical sense. Is pro plutocracy with conservatives yet again deciding that corporations are people for the second time.

It is a thoroughly anti- birth control decision because it places birth control in this special category that can be deemed immoral and rejected on religious grounds, while specifically saying that doesn't apply to other medical treatments.

And finally it is more proof that conservatives want to control the sexual behavior of women.
No rights were taken away yet whine whine whine

Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,401,031 times
Quote:

You have done so, for many cycles now, why would you change now, with the free kool-aide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies