Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yep. We owe our lives and the lives of our children to our GOP overlords. If only we could all be as hard working as them...
Liberal,policies of the last 6 years caused this mess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:52 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Do conservatives actually think corporations don't use all the loopholes and lobbying to avoid paying this rate?

The average effective tax rate for corporations is 19%.

These 26 corporations paid no federal income tax.

Tell Fox News to go cry me a river.

What does Fox News have to do with this?

Did anyone ever say that corporations don't take advantage of government provided tax incentives (what you are calling, "loopholes")? And why shouldn't they?

It is your representatives, whom you voted for, who get these provisions passed in various bills (usually as amendments). Both Democrats and Republican congressman have proposed such incentives.

The fact of the matter remains, however, that US corporations still pay more in corporate taxes. In a "global economy" (a term which the Liberals are fond of), this makes it harder to compete with foreign goods (which Liberals claim to hate), and it is this that forces them to seek more business friendly countries for their corporate headquarters. I don't blame them one bit.

An "average effective tax rate for corporations" of 19% (which you cited) is still the highest corporate tax rate in the world.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What does Fox News have to do with this?

Did anyone ever say that corporations don't take advantage of government provided tax incentives (what you are calling, "loopholes")? And why shouldn't they?

It is your representatives, whom you voted for, who get these provisions passed in various bills (usually as amendments). Both Democrats and Republican congressman have proposed such incentives.

The fact of the matter remains, however, that US corporations still pay more in corporate taxes. In a "global economy" (a term which the Liberals are fond of), this makes it harder to compete with foreign goods (which Liberals claim to hate), and it is this that forces them to seek more business friendly countries for their corporate headquarters. I don't blame them one bit.

An "average effective tax rate for corporations" of 19% (which you cited) is still the highest corporate tax rate in the world.
Care to back up your claim that 19% is the highest corporate tax rate in the world? Or is that just an exaggeration?

Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 AM

Bingo!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sounds like the head of Walgreens knows how to cook his books to make sure he profits no matter what.
Crain's Chicago Business : Subscription Center
Oh sure. Profit means somebody is "cooking his books."

Liberal logic. Why do Liberals hate profit?

Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 AM

1,347 posts, read 953,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Liberals won't be happy until they have driven all American companies overseas. The U.S. has the highest corporate tax rate in the world, and its hurting our economy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/renoun...001240207.html

The U.S. Has the Highest Corporate Income Tax Rate in the OECD | Tax Foundation
Personally, I would literally confiscate the cash hoards of every one of these companies, such as apple, microsoft, walgreen - every one of them. They have all benefitted from the protection of the US military, its legal system, the educational system of its workers, and the banking system, but think they can use their profits to buy off politicians who in turn construct tax loopholes so they can pay next to nothing in taxes (General Electric, for example) but reap the benefits of doing business here, or abroad. Even if they change the location of their HQ to some off-shore tax haven like Barbados or the Isle of Man, I'd still consider them a US-based company, and would confiscate their earnings.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:59 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
If any US corporation moves its corporate headquarters out of the US after making a bulk of it's profits in the US and taking advantage of US infrastructure and laws, the Congress should triple its taxes on US revenues. I have no patience for any US corporation that makes its profits from my money and then does everything to avoid paying its taxes. Conservatives may think it is patriotic to avoid paying taxes, they are wrong, it is idiotic.
Do lefties think it's fair that half the people don't pay any federal taxes? I don't. People and companies are getting fed up with having to pay for everyone else's way.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh sure. Profit means somebody is "cooking his books."

Liberal logic. Why do Liberals hate profit?
Because they hate success

Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 AM

Never miss an opportunity to inject 'Tea Party' into the narrative.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
I'm not a tea bagger, read a ton and am yet to see any real specific ideas from them and I pay a hell of a lot in taxes. I also make enough to know that a lot is two words.
I'm not a "tea bagger," either, but I do support the 'Tea Party' (which is not a political party) and what it stands for.

I never would have guessed that you read anything. You read "a ton," you say? Amazing that it doesn't show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies