Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:28 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
700 billion stimulus infrastructure bill as sold and he thinks we are going to Ok more?
"we" have no say in the matter, but the crony concerns kicking back to legislators have much to $ay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends on how they are done. If they are a bill you system rather than the more traditional style of toll, then they bother me less.
If you you are taxing per mile based on the weight of the vehicle it's basically a toll for all roads. It's fairly distributed and you're not penalizing people for using highways. There is a section of PA Turnpike near where I live that terminates, it's a ghost town despite the fact it bypasses a highly congested part of I-81.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
So why haven't they?

See, that's the problem with no compromise. The HTF has been running on E for the longest, plenty of GOP politicians know that this day was coming. But since you hate Obama, you politicize this and say the garbage above that you can't "trust" him. That's bull.

The gas tax hasn't been raised in forever, it needs to go up, even just a little. It's not all spending on Democrat on leftist roads. We all use all the forms of transportation in this country, it is the invisible engine that makes everything go. The only way you can compete in the global economy is by having rock solid infrastructure. We are way behind in that, and if you think denying this bill because Obama, you are sadly mistaken.
Hardliners see attacks where none exist.
The no compromise is happening on both sides of the aisle and even a blind man can see it. The gas tax may be part of the solution, but not the end all. As much as I dislike New Jersey in general I have to say I-80 in New jersey (Toll road) blows I-80 in Pa out of the water.
Trusting Obama. It's hard to trust a man who has been caught lying as often as he has. All politicians lie, but he has taken it to a whole new level. I honestly don't see how anyone can deny that Obama's word is deeply questionable. Others have made good points. What happened to all those shovel ready jobs? How did the billions in stimulus miss the infrastructure?
I agree completely with you about transportation. I simply disagree that it is a 1 sided issue. The house refuses to compromise and so does Obama and Reid.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM

332 posts, read 344,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
700 billion stimulus infrastructure bill as sold and he thinks we are going to Ok more?
Sigh. That $700 billion wasn't all on roads. C'mon!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Sigh. That $700 billion wasn't all on roads. C'mon!
The gubermint and its friends love blank checks

Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
So why haven't they?

See, that's the problem with no compromise. The HTF has been running on E for the longest, plenty of GOP politicians know that this day was coming. But since you hate Obama, you politicize this and say the garbage above that you can't "trust" him. That's bull.
It sure sounded like the worst excuse I have ever heard for not working together.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
When has the past two Houses ever came up with a bill like that has done what you say?

Boehner has to get 218 of his caucus to get anything non-bipartisan, there's no way he gets that even of the most mundane of bills. This is fantasy, it really is.

This is the Highway Trust Fund people! One of the most non-political bills ever, and it gets held up. What does that say about this House?

Jeez.
House passes bipartisan budget deal - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

No one trusts Obama with this kind of money.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Where do you drive?

America has thousands of miles that are crumbling. C'mon.
Because you say so? I can't remember the last time I didn't see road repair going on.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Trusting Obama. It's hard to trust a man who has been caught lying as often as he has. All politicians lie, but he has taken it to a whole new level. I honestly don't see how anyone can deny that Obama's word is deeply questionable. Others have made good points. What happened to all those shovel ready jobs? How did the billions in stimulus miss the infrastructure?
I agree completely with you about transportation. I simply disagree that it is a 1 sided issue. The house refuses to compromise and so does Obama and Reid.
OK. Yes, Obama does lie. Plenty of times he has stretched the truth, there's no denying that. I just don't see it as "on a whole new level". Pretty standard politician fudging.

In any event, this bill is all about the details. Obama's "hands" won't be touching this as the feds will implement this. Besides, there's nothing not to trust about the HTF. Money is needed for roads. And will continue to be needed.

As far as NJ and PA toll roads, well, New Jersey doesn't have as many miles to cover as PA, so this is what the fund is supposed to help - maybe PA toll road can become better with more money and/or new technologies with road paving. It's not about now - it's about the future.

The infrastructure $$$ in the stimulus was only for 5 years. This new plan is for four years. This is standard federal government plan implementation. And for you to say that it didn't do anything is laughable. TIGER grants, highway re-paving (before scheduled), and rail/train improvements say otherwise. You don't see it because you just listen to what the conventional wisdom on the bill was - all fed by politicians who KNOW that the stimulus benefited their districts because they bragged about it!

This isn't about compromise, it really isn't. Some things before Congress are apolitical. This is one of them.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
House passes bipartisan budget deal - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

No one trusts Obama with this kind of money.
LOL. You link to a budget deal of over $3 TRILLION dollars, that Obama has to sign and implement (and trust him to do so), but they can't trust him with $302 BILLION, with a transportation plan that includes infrastructure that benefits everyone's district. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies